Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Backorders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well things certainly can change. I spoke to the Tesla Energy rep. on June 22, 2021. He said it would likely be late September or the end of the year at worst for delivery. Not a week later, my solar contractor said they had received some Powerwalls, and I would be having my 3 installed this week. Today they are installed! While I cannot say with any certainty that my conversation with the rep. had any influence in the delivery, I am, of course, taking full credit.
Can you share the contract info of your “Tesla energy rep”

That is great! I am at thirteen months and counting waiting for three from a Bay Area installer. I don't understand Tesla's rationing, but that is what it is.

All the best,

BG
I'm in the same boat. Ordered two Powerwalls in August 2020 through a non-Tesla installer in the Bay Area. They just called me to ask if I want to switch to Enphase, which they can install in 30-45 days. Not sure what to do....

I'm in the same boat. Ordered two Powerwalls in August 2020 through a non-Tesla installer in the Bay Area. They just called me to ask if I want to switch to Enphase, which they can install in 30-45 days. Not sure what to do....
For me, I would carefully examine the relative costs and then decide how much you value getting a battery now, and user serviceability/modularity, versus a Powerwall. For me, a battery is a utility with a long life and MTBF matters a great deal to me, but you have to look at the early days of any new industry, e.g. the computer industry and realize how many didn't make it to ten, much less twenty years. Basically, I think of a battery as a pretty long lived appliance.

If it is any help, my installer made me the same offer about a year ago, and I just couldn't rationalize switching to a less well tested system at a higher cost.

Good luck!

BG

Reactions: navguy12
I ordered 11.9kW PV and 2 Powerwalls in July 2020 through a third-party installer. Got my PV installed in October 2020, and was waiting on Powerwall availability. When I ordered the estimate was Q4 2020, then it went to late Q1 2021, then Q2/Q3 2021, and now I'm at Q4 2021. Frankly I'm tired of waiting; I want something in place this fall and have no confidence the Q4 2021 estimate will hold, so I'm opting to go with Enphase, which is fine since I have Enphase microinverters. They can install it in September. Quoted cost is slightly higher but that's not really relevant since the Powerwall is effectively unobtanium for me.

I ordered 11.9kW PV and 2 Powerwalls in July 2020 through a third-party installer. Got my PV installed in October 2020, and was waiting on Powerwall availability. When I ordered the estimate was Q4 2020, then it went to late Q1 2021, then Q2/Q3 2021, and now I'm at Q4 2021. Frankly I'm tired of waiting; I want something in place this fall and have no confidence the Q4 2021 estimate will hold, so I'm opting to go with Enphase, which is fine since I have Enphase microinverters. They can install it in September. Quoted cost is slightly higher but that's not really relevant since the Powerwall is effectively unobtanium for me.
I too had originally selected PWs with my system. Then my local installer(Tesla Authorized) informed me PWs were on indefinite backorder. So I made the switch to Enphase. And yes the price was higher. But like you, It did not matter to me at that point because there was and still there is no way to get PWs unless you wait. My batteries were installed yesterday.
batt1.jpg

batt2.jpg

I too had originally selected PWs with my system. Then my local installer(Tesla Authorized) informed me PWs were on indefinite backorder. So I made the switch to Enphase. And yes the price was higher. But like you, It did not matter to me at that point because there was and still there is no way to get PWs unless you wait. My batteries were installed yesterday.

I wonder where they'll put the disconnects... I love me some disconnects.

More serious questions...

1) Were you able to do a whole home backup with two Encharge 10s? I remember one of the reasons I wasn't able to get an Enphase system spec'd out on my home back last year was that the Enphase Empower Smart Switch doesn't have a backup side and non-backup side. This was problematic for the installer since they didn't think the system could sense upstream loads.

2) The Smart Switch is supposed to also let you take power from a Generator... are you using that option?

I wonder where they'll put the disconnects... I love me some disconnects.

More serious questions...

1) Were you able to do a whole home backup with two Encharge 10s? I remember one of the reasons I wasn't able to get an Enphase system spec'd out on my home back last year was that the Enphase Empower Smart Switch doesn't have a backup side and non-backup side. This was problematic for the installer since they didn't think the system could sense upstream loads.

2) The Smart Switch is supposed to also let you take power from a Generator... are you using that option?
The smart switch and combiner (maybe one other panel) will go on the other side of the window shown in the pic. The rest of the connections and for a fact, a disconnect, will go on the other side of the house. Where the meter is located. The system is whole home. I originally started with one battery. But I was informed that even with a soft starter on my 3ton AC I would need 2 batteries. So I ordered a second one. And also added more PV. I don't have a generator so that option is N/A atm.

Just chiming in as yet another that has been waiting nearly a year now for 2x Powerwalls in NorCal. Contract signed September of last year with a third party installer. I'm literally "next in line" and the very next units they get are mine, but they've received zero in calendar 2021 and I'm getting the same info as everyone else, constantly shifting dates, etc.

I have an approved SGIP equity resiliency reservation, the installer is applying for the first extension now. Hard to complain too much when the net cost to me is basically free, but I'm staring down the barrel of another historic fire season and about to get kicked off of the EV-A rate plan... a little transparency and equity in Tesla's allocation decisions sure would be nice (but I've been a Tesla customer long enough to know that's wishful thinking).

View attachment 684669
View attachment 684670
Looks like a nice installation. Mind sharing what you paid for those batteries?

Enphase certainly has come a long way in features with the recent release, with generator integration. Not sure if they have PCS control yet, but that would be the next step to get to parity with the Powerwall product.

Looks like a nice installation. Mind sharing what you paid for those batteries?

Enphase certainly has come a long way in features with the recent release, with generator integration. Not sure if they have PCS control yet, but that would be the next step to get to parity with the Powerwall product.
Enphase has an online retail store for all/most of it's product including prices (product only, no install price) Encharge 10™
For example the Encharge 10 - 10.1kWh battery is $7,002. I'm about to order an Enphase system with (4) Encharge 10 batteries. Could you please tell me what PCS control is? Thanks.