Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall before PV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that Powerwall OS2 is almost here (yeah I know.... almost) how difficult would it be to add PV at a later date and use the Powerwall to do TOU shifting until I decide if/when I will get PV?

I am in same situation,
It should be fine if you got approval from PG&E for Powerwall, otherwise , They will ask to retract the Powerwall application and submit PV & Powerwall together. Its because , PG&E doesnt allow 2 applications at the same time. So they have to combine Powerwall & PV and submit

I am in same situation,
It should be fine if you got approval from PG&E for Powerwall, otherwise , They will ask to retract the Powerwall application and submit PV & Powerwall together. Its because , PG&E doesnt allow 2 applications at the same time. So they have to combine Powerwall & PV and submit

I am in Canada (outside Toronto) so PG&E's policies wouldn't apply up here. At least I hope they wouldn't.

From my recent PV installation experience, and I'm still pre-PowerWall, getting the PowerWall install first, or simultaneously, is much less hassle overall for wiring and installation, IMO.

You'll:
  • get any power-panel upgrade first.
  • get the Tesla Gateway mounted next to it immediately.
  • all the necessary wiring/conduits is set, done.
  • PV would just be an extra feeder breaker or panel afterwards.

If you did PV installation first, they:
  • may have to redo the power-panel.
  • mount the PV connections.
  • upon PW installation, rip out all of the PV power-panel changes.
    • possibly pull all of the breakers out of PV upgraded power-panel to put in a sub-panel behind the Tesla Gateway (leaving an empty, wasted power-panel upgrade) for whole-home backup.
  • then the regular PW installation.