Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall charge rate limited to (10kW - home load) during storm watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to figure out why my three Powerwall 2 system is limiting the Powerwall charge rate to 10kW minus the current home load, when charging from the grid during Storm Watch. The three Powerwalls should be able to charge at 15kW continuous. And my home can pull more than 10kW from the grid, so the limitation is not there. My inverter is 10kW, so my max charge rate from solar is 10kW, but I didn't think that should limit the rate from grid->powerwall. Any ideas?

upload_2021-2-12_17-34-7.png

That doesn't match my experience. During Storm Watch, the Powerwalls should charge at 3.3kW per Powerwall. I have two, so the total charge rate is 6.6-6.7kW. If you have three, they should charge at 10kW and the grid draw should be the sum of the Home and Powerwall figures. Example chart showing the fixed power charging and varying grid draw. You will also notice that the solar contributes and reduces the grid draw. You will also notice that I turned off Storm Watch and let the solar continue to top off the Powerwalls.

Chart 2020-08-16.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: silenteski
Thanks to you both for confirming that 3.3kW per PW is correct. After rechecking the data sheet, I see that line now (max 3.3kW charge from the grid).

I will have to figure out why they aren’t pulling a full 10kW in my system.

Thanks to you both for confirming that 3.3kW per PW is correct. After rechecking the data sheet, I see that line now (max 3.3kW charge from the grid).

I will have to figure out why they aren’t pulling a full 10kW in my system.

Can you share a graph with your house draw and Powerwall draw? I'm curious if the total of the two always is 10kW. If your house is pulling 10kW or more does the Powerwall stop charging?

If both are true I wonder if there is a Tesla side config setting that does this and is set for you (maybe by accident?).

Can you share a graph with your house draw and Powerwall draw? I'm curious if the total of the two always is 10kW. If your house is pulling 10kW or more does the Powerwall stop charging?

If both are true I wonder if there is a Tesla side config setting that does this and is set for you (maybe by accident?).

Good idea. Interesting result: when my home use was higher than 10kW yesterday (while storm watch was enabled), not only did the PWs stop charging, they actually covered the demand in excess of 10kW. I’ve had no trouble pulling greater than 10kW from the grid in the past, for example when the power walls are empty or at the backup minimum value. There must be something funky in my config for storm watch.

I reached out to Tesla yesterday; I’ll report back once I hear from them.
upload_2021-2-13_12-1-4.png

I'm trying to figure out why my three Powerwall 2 system is limiting the Powerwall charge rate to 10kW minus the current home load, when charging from the grid during Storm Watch. The three Powerwalls should be able to charge at 15kW continuous. And my home can pull more than 10kW from the grid, so the limitation is not there. My inverter is 10kW, so my max charge rate from solar is 10kW, but I didn't think that should limit the rate from grid->powerwall. Any ideas?

View attachment 636233
What we can't see and I did not notice in your responses is what the SoC is on your PWs. If they were near full then this would be acceptable. If below about 90% full then not.

Good idea. Interesting result: when my home use was higher than 10kW yesterday (while storm watch was enabled), not only did the PWs stop charging, they actually covered the demand in excess of 10kW. I’ve had no trouble pulling greater than 10kW from the grid in the past, for example when the power walls are empty or at the backup minimum value. There must be something funky in my config for storm watch.

I reached out to Tesla yesterday; I’ll report back once I hear from them.
View attachment 636454

Sounds like maybe a Grid Import Limit is set to 10kW. Tesla should be able to figure out what's up from their end.

I haven't poked at the installer UI but it is also possible there's an option there...

• Helpful
Reactions: silenteski
Sounds like maybe a Grid Import Limit is set to 10kW. Tesla should be able to figure out what's up from their end.

I haven't poked at the installer UI but it is also possible there's an option there...
The behavior shown is consistent with this conclusion. However, I can't imagine why it would be set that way. 10kW is only 42A at 240V. That is a strangely low limit for the grid import.

The behavior shown is consistent with this conclusion. However, I can't imagine why it would be set that way. 10kW is only 42A at 240V. That is a strangely low limit for the grid import.

It seems like it would be a strangely low limit, yeah. I mean, my Tesla wall connector on a 60amp 240v circuit pulls more than that when my car is charging.

Hello. I know this is an old post, but was there a resolution? I'm having the issue that my total grid import limit while the battery is charging is 5kW, so if my home load is 4.5kW, the battery charges at 0.5kW, once the home load reduces the battery charge rate goes up (to a maximum of about 3.7 to 3.8kW). (If the home load is>5kW there's no charging) Tried the helpdesk a couple of times but so far no joy. The grid import limit via the installer UI is 10kW (also tried removing it) ... so that doesn't seem to be the issue. Thanks for your help.