TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

powerwall clarification

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by novynova, Oct 11, 2017.

1. novynova

novynova Member

can anyone clarify something for me- does the powerwall ONLY power the subset of circuits that they put on a separate panel or does it cover the whole house (assuming the usage is below capacity)?

2. dhu1

dhu1 Member

your choice....you have to tell Tesla what you want and have the appropriately sized storage for each use case

3. miimura

miimura Active Member

You can think of it two ways:
    1. When the grid is up, the Powerwall can offset all your usage and drive your utility meter to zero consumption.
    2. When the grid is down, only the circuits inside the gateway transfer switch will be powered.

4. novynova

novynova Member

Thank you!!! #2 was me exact question

5. Shygar

Shygar Member

For me, Tesla would only do a whole house backup if I bought 2 or more powerwalls. For one powerwall only, they won't do the whole house. For my case it worked that my entire house minus my AC was on a subpanel already, so I got what I was looking for.

6. novynova

novynova Member

I'm in the same boat except swap your AC for my Electric stove. i would understand more if my typical usage wasnt so paltry. I typically use 12ish kwh a day which the powerwall site says should more than be covered by a single unit

7. Shygar

Shygar Member

Yea and I'm guessing some of that usage will be offset by solar during the day. The other thing they told me is I can only run 30 amps at one time. Feels like if I run the microwave and the dryer together I'm gonna go over that right? I haven't tried to do that yet

8. novynova

novynova Member

I know. I just can’t justify the cost of a second Powerwall. Maybe one day