Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall Cold Start without Grid Power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My theory is that it's following the lead of inverters without batteries -- they use grid power as their frequency reference and won't function without incoming voltage. I'd suggest putting a tiny Honda generator on the upstream side of the PowerWall and see if it would sync to that. The only issue is that it might try to push joules back into the generator if the panels manage to get the battery full.

Does the documentation say anything to confirm or deny this?
Mine were starting without grid power back in 2017 when mine were installed. Did Cottonwood's system finally get fixed?

[QUOTE="evp, post: 2667184, member: 30429" I'd suggest putting a tiny Honda generator on the upstream side of the PowerWall and see if it would sync to that. [/QUOTE] - don't know why this won't display properly.

I've just picked up this rather long thread and haven't read it all so sorry if this has been mentioned before. I would be very wary about putting a small Honda generator anywhere near a Powerwall. I once blew two central heating controllers using a small Honda type generator during power outages before I realised that it was frequency and voltage wild and the voltage was a function of engine rpm. It was producing major voltage spikes. Make sure your generator has proper voltage control before you try that experiment - otherwise you might destroy a $2000 Gateway.

I should add that my generator was not a proprietary Honda one, it just had a Honda engine, and is now 20 years old so maybe modern ones have proper automatic voltage regulation.

Last edited:
I’m glad to hear that the Powerwalls worked as they should during your long grid outage. I don’t often hear of actual long term grid outages and how the Powerwalls handled it. I’m sure that there are a lot of cases like this outside of the United States where the electrical grid is less stable.
I am currently having that issue in Puerto Rico. Wondering if anyone can verify the cold jumping method for a completely drained powerwall.

I am currently having that issue in Puerto Rico. Wondering if anyone can verify the cold jumping method for a completely drained powerwall.
You can provide a 12V power source with a 3A max fuse to the center 2 pins of the GW2 as shown here
1663702219197.png

This should wake the GW2 up and allow the PV to begin charging.

If you have the GW1 the pins are slightly different.

In an experiment today, my PoweWall/Gateway setup would not start without Grid Power.

Here is the sequence that I followed to do a cold restart of my system that consists of a 125A breaker on my main panel feeding a gateway connected to a backup panel and a generation panel with 9.9 kW of Solar and 2 PW2's:
  1. Switched the 0/1 switches on the PW2's from 1 to 0. The PW2's were at 99-100% charge and their green light bar stayed on.
  2. Opened the 125A breaker on the main panel.
  3. The lights on the Gateway and the PW2's stayed on.
  4. Waited about 10 minutes. PW/Gateway lights stayed on, but there was no switch to backup power; the power stayed off.
  5. Pushed the "reset" button on the Gateway and held it down for about 10 seconds. All the PW/Gateway lights went off.
  6. Waited about 5 minutes.
  7. Flipped PW2 switches to On/1. Nothing happened.
  8. Waited about 5 minutes. Nothing happened.
  9. Closed 125A breaker to feed Gateway/PW system with grid power. PW system restarted.
Does this mean that you can't start a PW system without grid power? How do you start an off-grid system? How about an extended grid outage with bad weather and poor solar production where you shut down the PW's with some battery left, then want to restart when the sun shines again?

I don't see anyone mentioning that you can enable a cold start by applying a 12v signal to the 'JUMP' pins just below the AUXILIARY CONTROL pins.
View attachment 390552
Hey,
Can anyone co firm? I'm in PR and have been out of power for a while. My Powerwall is dead and won't come on at all.

Hey,
Can anyone co firm? I'm in PR and have been out of power for a while. My Powerwall is dead and won't come on at all.
Wait until the sun is out and your solar inverter is ready to produce power. Disconnect or turn off all loads in the home, so the only thing connected to the gateway is your solar inverter. Apply 12VDC to the Jump input to start the gateway. Once started, it will form a micro-grid, if there is enough energy remaining in your Powerwall. Once the micro-grid is formed, the solar inverter should begin generating power after a few minutes. Disconnect the 12VDC and let the Powerwall charge up for a few hours, then reconnect your loads.

Has anyone successfully restarted the gateway2 and powerwalls in an off grid situation?
I'm a layperson and using this and another TMC thread I was able to jump my powerwall today.
The first 12v powerbank I tried wasn't able to jump it - it just turned off when I connected it. I eventually tried with a more powerful power station that had a 12v cigarette lighter and it started right up.
Circumstance:
Powerwalls fully charged but offline, medium sun, grid outage
Steps:
1. Ensure powerwall switch is on
2. Remove cover from gateway
3. Instal wires into jump pins on gateway
4. Touch wires to 12v power source
5. See lights go on in the gateway
6. Wait about 5 minutes, powerwall backup resumed

• Informative
Reactions: power.saver
Circumstance:
Powerwalls fully charged but offline, medium sun, grid outage
How did the system end up in that circumstance?

I thought this thread was for the case of off grid and PWs offline because they hit the low charge level self-protection limit. And then you have to do a "cold start" to bring them back online, presumably with all loads turned off and the sun shining, so they can reestablish the microgrid and let the PV inverters sync and start charging them again.

Cheers, Wayne