Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall died? DC Stage Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at home and heard a a few loud pops but didn't know where they were coming from, thought maybe outside. Later on I look at the Tesla app and it says "Powerwall Disconnected, Breaker or Disconnect Open." Went out to the Gateway, and indeed one 30A breaker for one Powerwall tripped. I flip it back on and it stays on, doesn't trip. However, the app still shows the error.

I shut down everything (PW toggle switches, PW breakers, Gateway, and service disconnect from the street) for a few minutes, and then restart everything. Same problem. Log into Gateway to look at status, and one PW says "DC Stage Fault" and is no longer functional. Flipping the little toggle switch on the broken PW turns the green light on and off, but nothing else, none of the quiet clicking noises inside like the other PW. The other PW is running ok and currently powering the whole house during peak power price.

Sigh.

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

System installed 3/22/2021, all detailed here:

The drama seems to never end with Tesla. R.I.P. PW on the left, you didn't even last a year ☠️

IMG_0125.jpg

System installed 3/22/2021, all detailed here:

The drama seems to never end with Tesla. R.I.P. PW on the left, you didn't even last a year ☠️

View attachment 779531
😟
least it is well charged if that report is correct so it will be ok during the wait ... if they can hopefully fix it ?

I was mistaken, happened at 4:10PM, 10 mins after PW started sending power to the house and 100% of solar output went to grid for TOU.

Have it on video, series of pops, and there's another pop 3 mins after the end of the video..

To my amateur that really sounds like a large breaker opening. Strange that its that many though.

No smoke, smell, or anything else?

I would guess capacitors exploding in the inverter.

The first time I listened to it was over bluetooth in my car. I kept turning the volume up because I didn't hear anything. The first bang scared the crap out of me. Listening to it on my phone speaker it does sound similar to a breaker going but I think the phone speaker filters out the low end. I also would think internally the PW would be fused as it doesn't make much sense to have inaccessible breakers.

Reactions: BGbreeder
I sent service request on the app. I'd prefer a replacement. Who knows what exploded inside and if it's repairable.
Call the Tesla Energy Support phone number instead. You’ll get a better response.

The last good number from about a year ago I have for them is (877) 731-7652. They have been known to change their support numbers from time to time so if that one doesn’t work look for another.

After a month, still nothing is happening. Called Tesla 3 times. First time, they said support request has been received. Second time, talked to Powerwall support, said they'll arrange tech visit and get back to me, but never did. Third time, they said they'll email someone to escalate the service request, even though it's "high priority" already.

• Informative
Reactions: driver7
After a month, still nothing is happening. Called Tesla 3 times. First time, they said support request has been received. Second time, talked to Powerwall support, said they'll arrange tech visit and get back to me, but never did. Third time, they said they'll email someone to escalate the service request, even though it's "high priority" already.

Wow - that's super crummy but thanks for the update.

I'm seriously considering PV + battery in my new home but after reviewing the other options and seeing these sort of stories I'd likely not go with the PW again.

@getakey I view Powerwall ownership akin to owning a vintage vehicle; it is great when it runs, and when it has an issue, it will require intervention on my part. Tesla's customer service isn't the worst, but we all agree that there is room for improvement. (I have ongoing issues with several other companies, all minor, but they range from a company that does not answer its phones, one that hides its contact information, and one that only list an email, that it doesn't answer. My favorites so far are "well we sold that product line, so not our problem, and no we can't tell you who or what the buyer's contact information is", and an all day long recording of "our staff is on a training break now, please call back later", over many days, and when I finally got through a representative said that the recording was their lunch break.(for hours? Somebody knows how to work the system on their end...))

@taphil My bottom line is to call Tesla daily, or at least 3-4 times a week. Be polite, and ask for status. Every so often, I get a customer service representative that is on the ball and moves mountains. Totally luck of the draw.

Where it counts on performance, and once we got the installation issues sorted, the Powerwalls have been great. I went into the purchase knowing, from the collective experiences here, that any customer service issues were going to be hands on, and they have been.

All the best,

BG