Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall discharging while in 100% back-up mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since last week my powerwall has been discharging into the home, while in 100% backup mode.
I emailed and called Tesla and was told it is a wide problem and new firmware is necessary and should be done yesterday.
Anyone else have this problem?

Just called Tesla Energy and was told the app has a problem, allowing the last selected mode to be locked. They are working on a firmware update which allows you to again select between modes and should be done by the end of this week.

I have this problem, too, and reported it about two weeks ago. I am stuck on 43%, so no matter what I set the app to, I discharge to 43%. I was also told it was a wide problem. Forty three percent isn't so bad, so I'm not too worried about it, as long as it eventually gets fixed.

I seem to have seen something similar just this week. I wanted to change my reserve from 0% to 20% for a rain event earlier this week, the PW was discharging at 18% when I made the change. I heard it click off and back on again a few seconds later, but it continued to discharge all the way to 0. The next day it charged up to about 30%, but then discharged all the way to 0 again (with the app still showing a 20% reserve). I switched to backup only (still discharged), back to self-powered, changed the reserve setting a few more times, the app always reflected my change, but the PW seems to be stuck in self-powered with a 0% reserve right now. And I never heard it click off again after that first time (recently I'd been rather impressed that I'd make a change to the reserve and within a few seconds hear the PW responding to the change). I didn't try resetting the Gateway or throwing the switches for the PW. I hadn't updated the app and the Gateway's firmware didn't change from when this was working last week to broken now, but it sure seems things are broken right now based on what I'm seeing.

What is the version number with the problem?
I seem to have seen something similar just this week. I wanted to change my reserve from 0% to 20% for a rain event earlier this week, the PW was discharging at 18% when I made the change. I heard it click off and back on again a few seconds later, but it continued to discharge all the way to 0. The next day it charged up to about 30%, but then discharged all the way to 0 again (with the app still showing a 20% reserve). I switched to backup only (still discharged), back to self-powered, changed the reserve setting a few more times, the app always reflected my change, but the PW seems to be stuck in self-powered with a 0% reserve right now. And I never heard it click off again after that first time (recently I'd been rather impressed that I'd make a change to the reserve and within a few seconds hear the PW responding to the change). I didn't try resetting the Gateway or throwing the switches for the PW. I hadn't updated the app and the Gateway's firmware didn't change from when this was working last week to broken now, but it sure seems things are broken right now based on what I'm seeing.

What are the version numbers?
Gateway 1.43.3 ??
iPhone App 3.10.3 ??

I had a similar issue yesterday when it was stuck in Backup-Only mode. Changing the mode in the app didn't do anything, which was confirmed when I connected to the gateway via the TEG-xxx wifi.

I had to reset the gateway and only then was I able to change it to Self-Powered with my desired Reserve %.

I'm on the same Version 1.43.3

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Are you saying you can't change the mode in the app? If so, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Have you tried changing it temporarily to another mode, such as Advanced - Balanced or Cost Saving instead of Backup-only? We've had 1.43.3 and 3.10.3 for a month or so and when changing the reserve, it has always stopped discharging when it hits the reserve.

Yes, 1.43.3 and whatever the latest iPhone app is (no updates showing).

My PW updated itself to 1.44.2 sometime since yesterday (not sure if last night or this morning), and the app had asked me to re-enter my password this morning. Didn't actually try changing anything yet, however.

Ran into the same issue on 1.43.3. After doing some research online I found a post for someone who had been told by Tesla support to shut down the powerwalls for 6 hours then restart. Shut off both feeder breakers and the PWs themselves. Restarted after 6 hours and could finally change my settings. Haven't tried more than one change since then so can't say that it has "cured" the issue. YMMV.
Good luck to all with this issue.

Let's hope Tesla gets off their ass and sends out a firmware fix.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I had the same issue a month ago. Changed any setting (mode/TOU period/reserve %) in the app, it seemed to be accepted. But logging in to the WebUI and checked the Summary page, nothing changed (stuck at Self-Powered / 40% reserved). Going back to the app, it showed back to previous setting (Self-powered).

Tried powered cycle PW (flip the breaker and switch). No luck. After 5 days stuck in self-powered, I submitted a request to Tesla Support for help. A week later, all the sudden everything was working again. No firmware or app updates. A day later, got an email from Tesla Support, asking me if I still needed assistance. I told them everything was working fine now and asked if they did anything to fix it. I was told they didn't do anything. So, not sure what was happening there.

No problem since then. I can still make changes as of this morning.

This happened (and mysteriously fixed) when PW was still on 1.41.2. I am on 1.43.3 since 12/27. App (Android) is on 3.10.3.

Yesterday, I changed from self-powered to backup during testing of the system, to force the PowerWalls to charge.

That change was accepted - and the PowerWalls quickly started charging with all power going from the solar panels to the PWs.

But when I changed the Tesla app settings back to self-powered, the PowerWalls continued to charge - appears the change back to the self-powered mode didn't get accepted by the TEG.

Pushed the reset button on the TEG, and after it restarted, it went back to operating in self-powered mode, matching the settings in the Tesla app.

Until Tesla fixes whatever issue is preventing the TEG from accepting setting changes from the app, it appears doing a TEG reset works around the problem.

I'll have a better idea in the morning, changed my reserve from 0 to 20% in the app tonight since tomorrow's forecast is for rain again, and with v1.44.2 I was back to an almost immediate response from the PW. We'll see if it actually stops at 20% in the morning.

Seems better for me, the PW did stop at the proper reserve this morning, after the weather cleared I set it back to 0% and got the immediate response again. Now whether it was truly the FW update, just the reboot associated with it, or the app re-asking for my Tesla password, who knows. But it seems like things are back to normal now, at least for me.

I called Tesla support yesterday (Mon) and they pushed v. 1.44.2 to me within 2 hrs and it seems to now not discharge when in Backup Only mode. I switched it to Sef-powered mode a couple of hrs ago but it's still not powering the house from the PWs (it's 10:42pm at night as I type). I think it should have come out of Standby mode by now to power the house, but will see what it does tomorrow.