Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall disconnected from WiFi and forced a cellular connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of days ago I noticed that PVOutput was no longer getting the extended data from my Powerwalls. I went back through the PVOutput logs and discovered that data collection stopped around 7:30 PM on 5/17.

Last night I went into the Wizard and discovered that the whole interface had changed. When I got to the screen to select a connection type there was verbiage to the effect that it would use the "most reliable" connection type. Sure enough, it was no longer using my WiFi connection but had reverted to the cellular connection, which is how my installer had initially set it up. My WiFi signal is excellent in the garage where the Powerwalls are located because I have an access point plugged into the outlet that is literally in between the two Powerwalls. In the Wizard, that WiFi network shows the highest signal available. I tried several times to change the connection to WiFi but ultimately gave up because if would revert back to the cellular connection.

I called Tesla support and explained my situation. The support person told that there was an update about a week ago to force a "reliable" connection and this is what may have affected me. I told him that this was not my preference, and that I would a prefer a WiFi connection. I explained that I was logging the data on PVOutput and that a WiFi connection was required. They are going to open a support ticket and the support person said that they may be able to change this new requirement on my installation. Because of the holiday weekend, he said it most likely wouldn't happen until Tuesday and that someone would contact me.

Edited to add: My Powerwalls are on Version 3.3.6 (aa790933e)

Anyone else experienced this?

3.3.6 isn't your powerwall version, it's your app version. Powerwall should be something like 1.15.1 (which is what mine has been on the last few months). I use an Ethernet connection to make sure my PVOutput raspberry pi has no issues connecting.

I know it says in the warranty if you can't get an internet connection to get updates that your warranty goes from 10 years to 4 years, but that is surprising it would default to cellular in your case. I'd recommend getting a Google WiFi mesh router system for awesome coverage.

I know it says in the warranty if you can't get an internet connection to get updates that your warranty goes from 10 years to 4 years, but that is surprising it would default to cellular in your case. I'd recommend getting a Google WiFi mesh router system for awesome coverage.

As I explained in my original post, WiFi coverage is not the problem. I have an access point right next to the Powerwalls, on the other side of the garage wall from the Backup Gateway. I've been running in on the same WiFi connection since 12/29/17. When I run the Wizard, it shows the highest possible signal from that network, so that's not the problem. The support person from Tesla indicated that there was an update around the same time that my installation reverted to the cellular connection.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, you know that that is not correct right?

Care to enlighten me? I've read the PVOutput documentation and my understanding is that when the Powerwall is getting it's Internet connection from your WiFi and you're running the PVOutput process on a PC, it queries the Powerwall on the IP address that the Powerwall is using. How does PVOutput get the data from the Powerwall if it's not on your network? Is this something new since December?

Care to enlighten me? I've read the PVOutput documentation and my understanding is that when the Powerwall is getting it's Internet connection from your WiFi and you're running the PVOutput process on a PC, it queries the Powerwall on the IP address that the Powerwall is using. How does PVOutput get the data from the Powerwall if it's not on your network? Is this something new since December?

The Powerwall has its own WiFi hotspot.
Using a PC with Ethernet and Wifi NIC, use the WiFi to connect to the PW hotspot. The PW will have its own IP and you configure the PVOutput Integration service accordingly.

My PW is outside my office and I've been uploading PW data to PVOutput for 9 months this way.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
So are they fixing this so you can choose the connection type? Or should we plug in a crappy powerline Ethernet connection vs. using a full strength wifi (as was being used here)?

When I get mine installed I also want it on my network for logging, and having it ‘find a better signal’ on LTE seems insane. Do they live in the real world?

If your install has a 3G connection you can always open up the gateway (dangerous due to live cables inside and not recommended) and physically disconnect it.

While in there you could then plug in an Ethernet cable, or just roll back to using WiFi to connect to your network.

I just fixed a similar problem with my system. The wifi connection to the gateway was fine util I reset my router. After the router came back online the gateway would not re-establish the wifi connection. I found this that explained how to connect to the gateway hotspot:
Monitoring from your Home Network | Tesla
I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I somehow got it to connect to my wifi network. I think I clicked on Ntwork -> Wifi and then selected my network which required re-entering the wifi password. I had to repeatedly reconnect to the hotspot during the process.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva