Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall doesn't charge to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want my powerwall to provide backup power. I live in Austin where there is no benefit whatsoever of using my powerwalls for any other purpose - we have no time of use or better times to sell power, etc. We actually have a system designed to dissuade solar use, but I digress. Prior to last Saturday, it would preferentially charge the batteries to 100% during the day (charge the battery rather than running the house from my solar roof) and deplete to 90% in the evening (which I do to make sure it's working, not just sitting at 100% all the time. Maybe this is dumb, but regardless).

I guess I got some sort of an update last Saturday, because my reserves got set way down. I only discovered this during a power outage when, after a few minutes, my battery was at 58% ( I have 6 powerwalls and use span panels to automatically shut off loads).

My problem is that now, I can't figure out how to force my batteries to charge fully and they're stuck at 82% ( which I only managed to get to by turning on charge from grid - a new setting to me - after the power outage).

Now it seems to run the house and send power to the grid instead of charging the powerwalls, no matter how I mess with rates and such.

Given the new settings,how do I replicate what I had before:

During daylight hours, put all solar power into the battery first to 100%, then anything else use go power the home. Deplete the battery to 90%, but not lower, each night.

Thanks

Check to make sure you are in self powered mode, not time based control.
That's been set. It's like it sees 82% as the new 100 - here's today's chart

E9310908-DC5B-4EA5-BEEA-B5EF4FABE67A.png

97795008-2B0E-4D5D-9971-72F3FDD36A9D.png

I just thought about the number. 83 is 5/6 of 100. I have 6 powerwalls. I wonder if one is offline. All of their green lights are on though
Point a web browser to the IP address of your gateway. Log in and then go to https://<gatewayIP>/api/system_status

The output will show the nominal full pack energy and energy remaining for each powerwall. This should help verify your theory.

Point a web browser to the IP address of your gateway. Log in and then go to https://<gatewayIP>/api/system_status

The output will show the nominal full pack energy and energy remaining for each powerwall. This should help verify your theory.
Yup. Validated my theory.

1674940618351.png

The only material difference between what I'll call the "bad" one and the others are a) nominal_energy_remaining is 0, b) p_out is -10 (although you can see there's one with 10, so I have no idea if this is relevant) and backup_ready is false.

Could of questions here. Is there a way to easy isolate, by looking, which powerwall this is? and is there anything I can do about it, or is this something I need to talk to Tesla about?

Reactions: BGbreeder

View attachment 900793

The only material difference between what I'll call the "bad" one and the others are a) nominal_energy_remaining is 0, b) p_out is -10 (although you can see there's one with 10, so I have no idea if this is relevant) and backup_ready is false.

Could of questions here. Is there a way to easy isolate, by looking, which powerwall this is? and is there anything I can do about it, or is this something I need to talk to Tesla about?
The system_status page has the PW serial numbers and you can check against the plates on the physical Powerwalls.

View attachment 900793

Glad you were at least able to isolate the issue.

Certainly contact Tesla. They'll probably have you reboot the system as a first step. I don't know the steps for that but someone else might be able to provide that. Also look at the bottom of the system_status output as that is where you will find fault and warning messages.

Glad you were at least able to isolate the issue.

Certainly contact Tesla. They'll probably have you reboot the system as a first step. I don't know the steps for that but someone else might be able to provide that. Also look at the bottom of the system_status output as that is where you will find fault and warning messages.
Seems the only chance to contact them is via chat between 8 am and 2 pm Pacific. nuts.

I did a full system reset, no effect. Hopefully they can fix it.

Seems the only chance to contact them is via chat between 8 am and 2 pm Pacific. nuts.

I did a full system reset, no effect. Hopefully they can fix it.
I have never (once) contacted tesla energy support by chat, so I can tell you 100000000% that chat is not the only way to contact them. I have no idea what the time of operation for the tesla energy specific phone number is, but the number I call is:

877-961-7652

I select whatever option there is in the phone tree for Powerwall support. I seem to remember calling once on a weekend, but that may be false memory. What isnt false however, is I have never once contacted tesla via chat, so chat is not the only way to contact them for tesla energy support.

Reactions: ATXMD
I have never (once) contacted tesla energy support by chat, so I can tell you 100000000% that chat is not the only way to contact them. I have no idea what the time of operation for the tesla energy specific phone number is, but the number I call is:

877-961-7652

I select whatever option there is in the phone tree for Powerwall support. I seem to remember calling once on a weekend, but that may be false memory. What isnt false however, is I have never once contacted tesla via chat, so chat is not the only way to contact them for tesla energy support.
Thank you! this is what I've been looking for. their website, and the app, certainly make it appear that Chat is the way to do it. My preference is by email - any chance you have an email address that works?

Thank you! this is what I've been looking for. their website, and the app, certainly make it appear that Chat is the way to do it. My preference is by email - any chance you have an email address that works?

No, I dont,

i would never personally contact Tesla via email for support, even if it was an option, unless I was ok with waiting "several" weeks for a response, with "several" being "definitely more than 2". Email is the worst way to get support from any company, although companies are pushing people to use email, because it allows them to cut down on support costs by making one person handle an extreme workload of cases.

Phone requires someone to talk to you on a 1:1 basis. Many people are unhappy with the skill level of tier 1 support (both at tesla and in other places) but in general you are getting the exact same team of people if you email, or even chat. The difference is simply how many people at once that person has to deal with. Call = 1. Chat = "several" at once, in general (2-4) email = dozens / perhaps multiple dozens).

You always want the option that allows you, in a support situation, to have someones 1:1 attention if at all possible. Companies are making this less possible because it costs more money to do it that way, and they can get away with doing chat / email.

I say all this as someone who has either performed, or managed people who perform customer service roles (although not for tesla) my entire career (and I am in my 50s). You may prefer email but if you want any sort of turn around time at all, it is the worse option and one I never pick unless forced on me.

• Helpful
Reactions: ATXMD and BGbreeder
No, I dont,

i would never personally contact Tesla via email for support, even if it was an option, unless I was ok with waiting "several" weeks for a response, with "several" being "definitely more than 2". Email is the worst way to get support from any company, although companies are pushing people to use email, because it allows them to cut down on support costs by making one person handle an extreme workload of cases.

Phone requires someone to talk to you on a 1:1 basis. Many people are unhappy with the skill level of tier 1 support (both at tesla and in other places) but in general you are getting the exact same team of people if you email, or even chat. The difference is simply how many people at once that person has to deal with. Call = 1. Chat = "several" at once, in general (2-4) email = dozens / perhaps multiple dozens).

You always want the option that allows you, in a support situation, to have someones 1:1 attention if at all possible. Companies are making this less possible because it costs more money to do it that way, and they can get away with doing chat / email.

I say all this as someone who has either performed, or managed people who perform customer service roles (although not for tesla) my entire career (and I am in my 50s). You may prefer email but if you want any sort of turn around time at all, it is the worse option and one I never pick unless forced on me.
Difference of opinion here for sure!

My concern is about me saving time and convenience, and has nothing to do with the company saving money, or time, or anything. I detest spending lots of time on the phone, or chat - I have other things to do. I have plenty of 5 minute windows throughout the days and weeks, but very few 1 hour + windows. If I can email someone (3 minutes of my time) and then deal with their response at my convenience, I'll do that. This is not an emergency. If I know someone will research this contact me in the next couple of weeks, that's far better to me than spending a couple of hours waiting or talking to someone on the phone.

Additionally, it's easy to send pictures and screenshots of my experience, whereas reading a serial number, or some other thing is a pain.

Last edited:
Difference of opinion here for sure!

My concern is about me saving time and convenience, and has nothing to do with the company saving money, or time, or anything. I detest spending lots of time on the phone, or chat - I have other things to do. I have plenty of 5 minute windows throughout the days and weeks, but very few 1 hour + windows. If I can email someone (3 minutes of my time) and then deal with their response at my convenience, I'll do that. This is not an emergency. If I know someone will research this contact me in the next couple of weeks, that's far better to me than spending a couple of hours waiting or talking to someone on the phone.

Additionally, it's easy to send pictures and screenshots of my experience, whereas reading a serial number, or some other thing is a pain.
I hear you, but Tesla is really not that responsive. My take is that someone there thinks that every second that a service call is delayed defers the company having to spend money, so it is profitable to delay service.

I think that if you want this fixed, I would follow @jjrandorin's advice and call the number above. Multitask, and pick a time when you can go for a walk, read something else, watch crazy cat videos, whatever.

Congratulations on diagnosing your problem.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: ATXMD
I hear you, but Tesla is really not that responsive. My take is that someone there thinks that every second that a service call is delayed defers the company having to spend money, so it is profitable to delay service.

I think that if you want this fixed, I would follow @jjrandorin's advice and call the number above. Multitask, and pick a time when you can go for a walk, read something else, watch crazy cat videos, whatever.

Congratulations on diagnosing your problem.

All the best,

BG

I personally think its just more the workload. I am fairly confident that the flow of work in is > than the rate the work is getting completed, so it just backs up further and further until someone gets to your particular case (whatever it is). I also think that tesla is likely really focusing on "1st call resolution rate" which is, basically, the number of support contacts the 1st person (help desk / 1st level support) resolves.

All help desks look at this number, but when a company focuses heavily on this (because 1st level support people cost less than 2nd and 3rd level), the consequence of that tends to be that the first level people really have to be "convinced" to escalate a ticket even if they should be escalating it. They are supposed to solve (for example) 80% of calls on first contact, but in general people try to avoid the 1st level support people due to either past experiences, stigma ("this 1st level person cant know what I am talking about"), etc.

Anyway, if the time to resolve is ok to be "months" then email with Tesla is a viable option (this can happen anyway, especially if the ticket has to be escalated).

Shrug... it now sounds like I am trying to lecture and I am not. @ATXMD , wishing you luck in getting resolved. Hope it is something simple that can be resolved relatively quickly.

Reactions: ATXMD and BGbreeder
I personally think its just more the workload. I am fairly confident that the flow of work in is > than the rate the work is getting completed, so it just backs up further and further until someone gets to your particular case (whatever it is). I also think that tesla is likely really focusing on "1st call resolution rate" which is, basically, the number of support contacts the 1st person (help desk / 1st level support) resolves.

All help desks look at this number, but when a company focuses heavily on this (because 1st level support people cost less than 2nd and 3rd level), the consequence of that tends to be that the first level people really have to be "convinced" to escalate a ticket even if they should be escalating it. They are supposed to solve (for example) 80% of calls on first contact, but in general people try to avoid the 1st level support people due to either past experiences, stigma ("this 1st level person cant know what I am talking about"), etc.

Anyway, if the time to resolve is ok to be "months" then email with Tesla is a viable option (this can happen anyway, especially if the ticket has to be escalated).

Shrug... it now sounds like I am trying to lecture and I am not. @ATXMD , wishing you luck in getting resolved. Hope it is something simple that can be resolved relatively quickly.
Well, I'll apologize, because in this case, the call was 100% the right answer. I was on the phone for 12 minutes, and yes, they are open 24/7 (but they definitely do not advertise this number easily! I could not find this number anywhere but here). So thank you!

Interestingly, they already had the issue on file - it was filed on the 24th. Apparently they noted a water intrusion, and the replacement has already been ordered, and will be here in 4-8 weeks. Now, why they didn't bother telling me this, I don't understand.

Well, I'll apologize, because in this case, the call was 100% the right answer. I was on the phone for 12 minutes, and yes, they are open 24/7 (but they definitely do not advertise this number easily! I could not find this number anywhere but here). So thank you!

Interestingly, they already had the issue on file - it was filed on the 24th. Apparently they noted a water intrusion, and the replacement has already been ordered, and will be here in 4-8 weeks. Now, why they didn't bother telling me this, I don't understand.

No need at all to apologize, and I am glad that it sounds like they are in process already. Unfortunately, that turn around sounds fairly standard for what tesla has been doing, but at least in your case you are not "down" as you have a number of other powerwalls.