Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall excessive hazard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had LG panels installed in my home in 2020 as well as a Tesla powerwall. I have not had any issues prior to my insurance but recently Switched trying to get a better rate. Long story short I ended up having to go back due to new insurance did not accept any panels so i went back to my old company but had to open new policy due to time lapse and they came out and did an inspection and a week later they sent me a cancellation notice stating that I had excessive hazards in my home and they were unable to insure me when I called and asked what this meant they told me that my Tesla panels were not eligible I explain to them I did not have tesla panels but LG panels but a tesla power wall and they said that they absolutely do not cover any products that are Tesla that if I remove the power wall and sent proof that they would reinstate my insurance they would go ahead and cover the panels since they are from LG has anyone had an issue with this? does anyone know what the excessive hazard is? Or does anyone know what I should do?

Attachments

• FF3AEAC4-310E-490A-A057-FD94F82F5168.jpeg
    FF3AEAC4-310E-490A-A057-FD94F82F5168.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 158
You should shop around for another insurance company, as provided you have an install that has gone through the appropriate permits, there is nothing unsafe about it. If you dont (have a fully permitted, signed off install )then thats another story.
thank you it was inspected and installed professionally. I have looked for other insurances, unfortunately out here in Texas their outrageous and now I have to pay six times the amount because this insurance company does not want to cover me, but that excessive hazard concern me and the fact that it’s only Tesla products so I was trying to figure out what’s the problem there that’s kind of scary.

I have asked a mod for this subforum to move your post to the tesla energy subforum. We have regular members here who have PV systems and powerwalls from Texas, so there is not some inherent danger. This discussion also belongs in the tesla energy subforum where you may get some more information.

Assuming that you have already shopped the major insurance companies, I would suggest that you engage an independent insurance broker. I believe that as you already dropped your previous carrier, there isn't a great deal of recourse there. Not knowing the details of your insurance, home details, location, etc., it is hard to be much more concrete. I would bear in mind that there is an increased recognition amongst insurers of the actual risks due to floods, hurricanes, and fires, and most carriers are in the process of updating their premiums to reflect current risks. Locally, I know many folks who were dropped by their carriers, and for those who maintained their carriers, a tripling of the insurance rates is pretty typical, although still much cheaper than the state sponsored insurance of last resort.

I do think that you should distinguish "I can't get insurance" from "I can't get insurance at a price that I like". I would try to view insurance costs as a cost of living where you do, like taxes.

Finally, I wouldn't dig in too deeply on the stated reason for declining to provide insurance. The decision to decline coverage tends to be the sum of a series of risks, and while the "Tesla" reason may be the last one, it doesn't necessarily mean that removing it will restore coverage, or restore it for any length of time. That said, you could enquire about moving the Powerwall away from the house, and whether that might impact coverage.

Good luck.

All the best,

BG

yes they said ANYTHING but Tesla products

That's strange considering LG batteries use the same chemistry. I'm thinking that maybe as a company, they just don't insure Tesla products at all (like cars) and that's carrying over to their home stuff so anything marked Tesla = No coverage.

I've read other insurers not insuring or paying out for any Tesla vehicles due to repair costs and some shops not accepting what some insurers are willing to pay so they just choose not to cover it.