Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall excessive hazard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, they said the LG batteries use a phosphate. The chemistry is made up of phosphate and not Ion. I don’t know.

They don't yet:

At best, Oct 2023 in this old artcle. My guess is the insurer (like many people in lots of industries/Internet), they are ignorant/clueless.

Reactions: Jennifer lea
They don't yet:

At best, Oct 2023 in this old artcle. My guess is the insurer (like many people in lots of industries/Internet), they are ignorant/clueless.
yeah I agree I think that they’re concerned because of the issues that have been going on with the cars which have nothing to do with the power walls so I don’t know it’s pretty annoying and I went to Solor to save money but feel like now I’m spending more since I have to pay more for insurance

yeah I agree I think that they’re concerned because of the issues that have been going on with the cars which have nothing to do with the power walls so I don’t know it’s pretty annoying and I went to Solor to save money but feel like now I’m spending more since I have to pay more for insurance
I doubt its "issues with the cars" because there arent any battery issues with the cars.

Tesla battery packs are well designed and tested, no issues. So there is more to this issue then just batteries.

So I can park a Ford Lightning LR or two in my garage which each has more kWh then ten powerwalls. People are just scared…
The questions you should ask are, can you get out in the event of a fire. Fires will happen, I got three fire detection systems in my house. I plan on surviving. I got powerwalls and solar because I will survive. I should probably be more afraid of the 100 gallons of propane I have in my garage!

@Jennifer lea , So who was your insurance?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jennifer lea
what are the fires from i thought the cars have had fires and the fires are unable to be put out because of the battery and the lithium Please enlighten me

Tesla vehicles have had WAY WAY fewer vehicle fires than comparable ICE vehicles. While its true that the fires they DO have can be very difficult to put out, its not true in the slightest that this is some ongoing problem. We arent going down this road in this subforum though. If you want to read more about it on TMC you can search for the topic.

Tesla battery packs are well designed and tested, no issues. So there is more to this issue then just batteries.

So I can park a Ford Lightning LR or two in my garage which each has more kWh then ten powerwalls. People are just scared…
The questions you should ask are, can you get out in the event of a fire. Fires will happen, I got three fire detection systems in my house. I plan on surviving. I got powerwalls and solar because I will survive. I should probably be more afraid of the 100 gallons of propane I have in my garage!

true!! it was swyfft clear blue

Don’t go for cheap insurance. You are just going to have headaches and fine print if you ever need to make a claim. Or run into nonsense based on incomplete information and not based on any statistical underwriting like you have experienced.
none of it’s cheap Swyfft blue was the only one that was a good price and they would’ve had to pay because they initially covered it but due to getting a new policy with another company for a better rate and then getting canceled after home inspection with mission who does not cover Solor. I had to re-sign up for old carrier and getting a new policy trigger a new home inspection with the same insurance company they did an inspection and found the Tesla and canceled me after having them for 5 years and 2 years was with the same solor products so it’s just really frustrating. I can’t afford to pay a bunch of homeowners insurance when the whole point to go Solor was to save money. This is just all stupid.

There's a 76-page thread in this subforum about Tesla Solar in Houston, with posters from all over Texas. Perhaps the OP could ask there, as no one in that thread seems to be finding any issues with homeowner's coverage in Texas. They may have not seen this thread as the title doesn't mention Texas and was moved from another subforum, but they seem like a lot of good folks helping out other Texans....

well, apparently, Walmart and Amazon are suing over panel fires. I don’t know if power walls were involved Allstate was again double the price, but they take it.
Walmart was legacy Solar City installs and that issue was settled in 2019 Walmart Reaches Settlement With Tesla in Lawsuit Over Solar Panel Fires
Amazon was one incident with an inverter, also over three years ago Tesla's solar panels reportedly caught fire at an Amazon warehouse (updated) | Engadget

I see condo/townhome owners here in So. Cal getting cancelled left and right for coverage. Sad thing/bottom line is you need the insurer more than they need you. Like others have mentioned, it doesn't matter how long you have been with any of them so don't lull anyone in a sense of loyalty, but staying isn't the worst thing if you check competitors every once in a while.

Insurers are here to make $$. Their desire is to pay out nothing and collect checks like any other business ideally. (Like health insurance).

I also don't think it's you personally. Companies just have set rules and if you fall into a ruleset (no Tesla), there is nothing you can really do.

If other insurers are much more expensive after you check, then like how I state if someone checks 10 solar quotes and they are all the same in an area, that's probably the cost. You either pay or are forced to move (or just live without said item).

Tesla vehicles have had WAY WAY fewer vehicle fires than comparable ICE vehicles. While its true that the fires they DO have can be very difficult to put out, its not true in the slightest that this is some ongoing problem. We arent going down this road in this subforum though. If you want to read more about it on TMC you can search for the topic.
In over 200k batteries installed, not one has had a thermal event started by the Powerwall.
Compare this to LG Chem (who changed name to LG energy just afterwards to try to shed some shame) who had to recall 10k batteries for 5 fires and some property damage.

Fire hazard leads to further product recall for LG residential battery storage systems

Insurance companies are humans too so there is likely something deeper going on, not an actual risk assessment that showed Tesla Powerwalls to be unsafe, while allowing the LG batteries.

One key difference between home batteries and EV's is that home batteries are typically mounted and hardwired to homes while EV's can be parked away from homes. When the recall for Chevy Bolt battery fires was in effect owners were told to park outside away from homes.