Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall fully charged but not discharging at night or when high demand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I have had my Powerwall installed now for around 8 months with no issues until lately when I noticed on my app that the Powerwall was not discharging and my house was drawing from the grid not an ideal situation at all.
I have tried restarting the battery and the gateway but still the battery is in standby mode.
Have checked the Powerwall operational mode which is in self powered and have contacted Tesla which have notified me that it may take up to 14 days to resolve. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue or maybe has an idea what could be the problem please.

Welcome to TMC. I moved your post from model 3 subforum because powerwall is a tesla energy product, and we have a subforum here for those (that your post is now in).

You mention that you are in self powered mode, so it "should" be discharging. Have you tried resetting your tesla energy gateway? I see you mentioned you tried restarting it, but I would first try a full restart the gateway can take a bit to power down, more than just a few seconds, for sure.

Here is a video I found for rebooting a tesla system with a gateway 2 (bonus points as it appears to be australian, so closer to you)

The other thing I would check is to make sure the powerwall is actually in self powered mode. You can check that by logging into the powerwall locally (instead of checking in the app).

If you have not done that previously, check for instructions on how to log into the powerwall locally (tesla has instructions for that online, I can find a link if you cant find it).

I have seen, sometimes, where the tesla app reports one status but the powerwall is actually in another status.

One other thing comes to mind is, if you are in self powered mode, try changing the reserve percentage to "something else" Even if its set to a number where it should be working, changing it to another number should send another command to the powerwall, so that can be something to try (after verifying your powerwall gateway is actually online either via wired connection or wifi).

Thats what I would start with. Let us know how it goes, this particular subforum is pretty helpful and knowledgable.

Last edited:
Welcome to TMC. I moved your post from model 3 subforum because powerwall is a tesla energy product, and we have a subforum here for those (that your post is now in).

You mention that you are in self powered mode, so it "should" be discharging. Have you tried resetting your tesla energy gateway? I see you mentioned you tried restarting it, but I would first try a full restart the gateway can take a bit to power down, more than just a few seconds, for sure.

Here is a video I found for rebooting a tesla system with a gateway 2 (bonus points as it appears to be australian, so closer to you)

The other thing I would check is to make sure the powerwall is actually in self powered mode. You can check that by logging into the powerwall locally (instead of checking in the app).

If you have not done that previously, check for instructions on how to log into the powerwall locally (tesla has instructions for that online, I can find a link if you cant find it).

I have seen, sometimes, where the tesla app reports one status but the powerwall is actually in another status.

One other thing comes to mind is, if you are in self powered mode, try changing the reserve percentage to "something else" Even if its set to a number where it should be working, changing it to another number should send another command to the powerwall, so that can be something to try (after verifying your powerwall gateway is actually online either via wired connection or wifi).

Thats what I would start with. Let us know how it goes, this particular subforum is pretty helpful and knowledgable.
Excellent thank you for your advice I will try logging onto the Powerwall locally.

Reactions: Ed Hart