Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall/Gateway commissioning issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BGbreeder

Jun 19, 2020
Bay Area
I am in the midst of a gateway and three Powerwall install. Due to logistics, the gateway was wired in three weeks ahead of the Powerwall.

Apparently, I have a gateway that is currently refusing to allow solar export and curtailing soar production to match the house usage.(three weeks of no solar exports!!) The gateway also seems to be unable to power up the Powerwalls. Tesla's comments so far have been "wait for an overnight firmware update" (@21.31.1 now), "those are some interesting communication errors", and "we have passed the information to Tier 3".

No amount of gateway reset / breaker flipping / reset switch flipping alters the behavior.

Anyone have a similar issue? There may also be an issue with a Powerwall (#2) not passing 12V on the CANbus, that may or may not be related to the Powerwall power up issue. Certainly, the Powerwall (#3) wired beyond #2 is never going to start without 12V on the CANbus, but why the first two won't escapes me.

All the best,

BG

I didn't have issue with 21.31.1, but I'm having issues with 21.31.2. my powerwall is full and stuck in standby with 0kw and 0% !
They said a lot of people have issues with 21.31.2 and need few days to a week or so to fix. No matter how many times we hard reset the system, the powerwall will not come up and solar production goes straight to the grid or the house. I have an expensive powerwall paperweight sitting in my garage!

To close the loop; with the Powerwalls wired in, and booted, it is functioning correctly. Solar is being exported after the Powerwalls fill. 21.31.2, and showing the micro draws from the grid at random intervals that look to be 0.1kWh/day in total draw.

One of the Powerwalls has a bad communication port, which slowed things down as it kept all of the Powerwalls from booting. Tesla is thinking about what to do about it.

To close the loop; with the Powerwalls wired in, and booted, it is functioning correctly. Solar is being exported after the Powerwalls fill. 21.31.2, and showing the micro draws from the grid at random intervals that look to be 0.1kWh/day in total draw.

One of the Powerwalls has a bad communication port, which slowed things down as it kept all of the Powerwalls from booting. Tesla is thinking about what to do about it.
Glad to hear the long wait is now over!

Reactions: BGbreeder
Glad to hear the long wait is now over!

Ditto!

@BGbreeder you have waited a LONG time.... Glad you seem to finally be nearing the end, once the final bugs etc get worked out. On a side note, I have really (really) appreciated your participation here, helping others with your knowledge around these topics etc, even while waiting a very long time for your own install.

Pre congratulations for (hopefully) getting things finally settled, whenever that is (lol).

Other than the pesky port issue and a neurio that isn't checking in, things have been great. We have been 100% solar since the Powerwalls came online, which bodes well for generally being able to weather outages without significant changes to consumption for much of the year. It has been an interesting journey, and in taking longer, I certainly learned a great deal here that helped my installation and commissioning proceed more smoothly. Still, there were bumps, as with any complex construction project, though I would not have expected to be teaching construction skills to electricians. I have some personal experience in the "high power meets electronics domain", but I hadn't expected a vendor to be so reluctant to engage, especially on the tech support side. Fortunately, the collective experience and wisdom here forewarned me that Tesla would be, well, Tesla.

I want to thank the contributors here for all of the information posted here, which helped set (and reset) my expectations for what might and ought to happen. It caused me to be reminded of the Gene Krantz quote "Work the problem". (@Vines, @wwhitney, @jjrandorin, @holeydonut amongst many others as being extremely helpful)

A big thank you to you all!

BG

Other than the pesky port issue and a neurio that isn't checking in, things have been great. We have been 100% solar since the Powerwalls came online, which bodes well for generally being able to weather outages without significant changes to consumption for much of the year. It has been an interesting journey, and in taking longer, I certainly learned a great deal here that helped my installation and commissioning proceed more smoothly. Still, there were bumps, as with any complex construction project, though I would not have expected to be teaching construction skills to electricians. I have some personal experience in the "high power meets electronics domain", but I hadn't expected a vendor to be so reluctant to engage, especially on the tech support side. Fortunately, the collective experience and wisdom here forewarned me that Tesla would be, well, Tesla.

I want to thank the contributors here for all of the information posted here, which helped set (and reset) my expectations for what might and ought to happen. It caused me to be reminded of the Gene Krantz quote "Work the problem". (@Vines, @wwhitney, @jjrandorin, @holeydonut amongst many others as being extremely helpful)

A big thank you to you all!

BG

Congrats! The headaches of this ESS stuff begin to melt away each time you load the app and see zero peak or shoulder time consumption. Nothing beats basically being off grid for the important parts of the day knowing PG&E has now become your backup instead of you relying on them for a frontline critical resource. I just wish it wasn't so hard to get these things installed lolol.

Every weekend it seems people in the Bay Area are just losing power for 6 to 12 hour chunks but that won't be you now! And the unending red-flag-warnings can almost be ignored hah.

Reactions: dailo and BGbreeder