Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Gateway Ethernet Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to connection issues with the onboard wifi in our Powerwall gateway, I am attempting to hardwire the connection with an ethernet cord.

I noticed that the gateway enclosure has a top hatch that I can pop open to pass the ethernet cord through - the opening looks to be about 2 inches, which is way too big for the ethernet cord.

I noticed in the manual that the gateway i supposed to come with an "M25 communication gland and insert" - does anyone know if this is the right adapter? If so, does anyone know where I can purchase one online?

I'd like to substantially close off that 2 inch opening so dirt, water, etc. doesn't get into the inside of the gateway enclosure, so I was hoping that the M25 communication glad was what I needed, but I wasn't sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would use an existing round knockout, not the top hatch.

There is an existing thread below, but it's mainly talking about outdoor issues with connecting the Ethernet.

Due to connection issues with the onboard wifi in our Powerwall gateway, I am attempting to hardwire the connection with an ethernet cord.

I noticed that the gateway enclosure has a top hatch that I can pop open to pass the ethernet cord through - the opening looks to be about 2 inches, which is way too big for the ethernet cord.

I noticed in the manual that the gateway i supposed to come with an "M25 communication gland and insert" - does anyone know if this is the right adapter? If so, does anyone know where I can purchase one online?

I'd like to substantially close off that 2 inch opening so dirt, water, etc. doesn't get into the inside of the gateway enclosure, so I was hoping that the M25 communication glad was what I needed, but I wasn't sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Use the knockouts. Routing through the top is asking for trouble; water could go (will) everywhere.
Amazon has cable glands. I would caution you that almost every metal surface inside the gateway has lethal voltages and currents, and I would strongly urge you to have a professional do this, or power everything off before opening the panel.

Looks like I'll need a 1/2 inch cable gland?

I've read some recommendations by others on TMC, but I'll need one that can accept the head of the ethernet cord with the rubber protective cover for the connector (I bought an outdoor rated ethernet patch cable).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've read some recommendations by others on TMC, but I'll need one that can accept the head of the ethernet cord with the rubber protective cover for the connector (I bought an outdoor rated ethernet patch cable).

I don't know of a product that will do what you want, though it may exist. I recommend to put a new end on it after you pass it through the gland.

Dig around on Amazon, and read the reviews, and you need to watch for three things;
  • Outside diameter of the cable gland housing which is slightly smaller than the size hole it fits in (e.g., M25, 1/2" NPT, or 3/4"NPT. The first is 0.98", the second 0.84, latter is actually 1.05".)
  • The inside diameter of cable housing outer ring, which sets the largest object you can get through, (your rectangular Ethernet connector, and tab!) and
  • What the smallest size of the compression grommet diameter is, which needs to be smaller than your Ethernet cable to get a watertight seal.
The first two are easy, but the latter depends on your particular cable, whether it is Cat 5, 5e, 6, or 7, and whether it is exterior cable, plenum, UV rated, or plain vanilla, the gauge of the wires, and how thick the outer insulation is.
Something like this may work for you, but the devil is in the details of your particular Ethernet cable, and connector. Personally, I prefer metal cable glands. I am not a fan of the Ethernet pass throughs that use a double female socket to seal the inside and outside as it is more potential connection to be bad, or fail.

Again, almost all of the exposed metal in the Gateway carries lethal voltages.