Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Gateway WiFi Unavailable. No Stats or Control Available via App or Gateway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday morning around 7 AM my app was showing zero data from my Powerwalls. This happened once before when I noticed the green lights on the batteries were blinking. A gateway reset solved that. But this time the battery lights were solid, but the reset didn't fix anything.

The gateway's WiFi is now no longer broadcasting. I can stand right next to it and not see the TEG-xxx. My Gateway usually connects to my router via ethernet cable. Except for single issue described above, have always been able to connect.

Things I have tried - resetting gateway several times. I turned off/on the Powerwall switches and nearby circuit breaker. I then added switching off/on the circuit breaker in the main panels. Reset the gateway. Still nothing, no data or data logging in the app., and no way for me to reach the gateway’s internal URL.

Any help please as I don't want to wait on hold for hours with tech support.

I’m having a similar problem except my Powerwalls are blinking. Reset doesn’t help. Support had to open an escalated ticket and in waiting for remote diagnosis. No TEG SSID broadcast and Ethernet doesn’t work either.

Have you tried opening your service disconnect after opening (turning off) all the Tesla equipment? I turned off (opened breakers/switches) all the Tesla stuff like I normally would this morning. I also opened the main breaker of my main panel. I could still see a blinking light through the reset tube of the deadfront of my Backup Gateway 2. Then I opened my utility service breaker, disconnected my home from the grid. Once I did this, the light in the BG2 went off. I turned everything back on in the reverse order and my system came back online!

Details here: My system is down due to gateway communication issue

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Have you tried opening your service disconnect after opening (turning off) all the Tesla equipment? I turned off (opened breakers/switches) all the Tesla stuff like I normally would this morning. I also opened the main breaker of my main panel. I could still see a blinking light through the reset tube of the deadfront of my Backup Gateway 2. Then I opened my utility service breaker, disconnected my home from the grid. Once I did this, the light in the BG2 went off. I turned everything back on in the reverse order and my system came back online!

Details here: My system is down due to gateway communication issue

Thank you for your response. I had seen your postings earlier, but it seemed like different issues. My very next step was to do a main service connect and force the PW and gateway to reboot.

Which I tried today. Much to my surprise, I cannot shut down power to my PWs. I have used the service disconnect before to test the PWs, but never before tried it without PW backup. All house power did go off (save for those with UPS).

But that same switch does not cut power to the PWs or gateway. When off, the gateway's reset button is still pulsing and the PWs lights are still solid green. I tried everything. I am attaching images below of my main panel and gateway panel.
tempImageIsshsw.jpg
tempImage3Yr2Lx.jpg

To be clear, here are my steps:
  1. Turn off switches on the PW batteries
  2. Turn off circuit breaker in box located next to PW
  3. Turn off PW circuit breakers on main panel. Turn off solar array breakers as well
  4. Turn off main service at main service panel
Turn all back on in reverse order. Reset gateway.

Still no data or gateway WiFi.

To be clear, here are my steps:
  1. Turn off switches on the PW batteries
  2. Turn off circuit breaker in box located next to PW
  3. Turn off PW circuit breakers on main panel. Turn off solar array breakers as well
  4. Turn off main service at main service panel
Turn all back on in reverse order. Reset gateway.

Still no data or gateway WiFi.

Did you still have power to the gateway while these were all off for 10 minutes?

That's what Teslas cold start/reboot procedure calls for. The big thing is to get the gateway to power off for sure. So 10 minutes or until the gateway is 100% powered off. Or figure out what breaker you're missing to get the gateway to power off.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
That's what Teslas cold start/reboot procedure calls for. The big thing is to get the gateway to power off for sure. So 10 minutes or until the gateway is 100% powered off. Or figure out what breaker you're missing to get the gateway to power off.

Ok, gave another go at it. Family is losing patience ;)

I turned everything off again and waited. At about nine minutes, the blinking light in the gateway turned off, as did the lights on the PW. I turned everything back on.

Still no gateway WiFi SSID, no data etc.

I think it was important to try all these steps, but at this point it seems like the WiFi module in the GW needs to be replace.

Ok, gave another go at it. Family is losing patience ;)

I turned everything off again and waited. At about nine minutes, the blinking light in the gateway turned off, as did the lights on the PW. I turned everything back on.

Still no gateway WiFi SSID, no data etc.

I think it was important to try all these steps, but at this point it seems like the WiFi module in the GW needs to be replace.

Yeah that sucks. Unfortunately, it does sound like an issue with your Neurio module/comms board which you now verified were completely powered off.

There's a lot of capacitance in the system to be discharged. That's why it takes so long for everything to completely loose power and shut down.

Called PW tech support yesterday. Only about a 10 minute wait, and the rep. was very good. I explained the steps I took. She had me do a gateway reset once more to see if I could get a WiFi SSID. Nope. So it's been escalated to Tier 2.

Hopefully I will hear from them in about a week. I'm hoping they have the parts necessary...

Going on three weeks since last contact, and so far nothing more from Tesla. I've called support three times, each time the rep. was going to "check on this for me" and never getting back to me.

Worse, my utility sent me a letter of a planned outage during the day tomorrow for a pole replacement. Since the Powerwalls are no longer showing any green lights, I assume they are off or depleted, so we will be without power tomorrow. Oh joy.

Going on three weeks since last contact, and so far nothing more from Tesla. I've called support three times, each time the rep. was going to "check on this for me" and never getting back to me.

Worse, my utility sent me a letter of a planned outage during the day tomorrow for a pole replacement. Since the Powerwalls are no longer showing any green lights, I assume they are off or depleted, so we will be without power tomorrow. Oh joy.
Bummer. I would call support and let them know about the outage. It may stir their stumps.

All the best,

BG

Update: Finally got an appointment for service, it was four weeks out. Serviceman came yesterday (Dec.10) and, after nearly three hours and doing two full house power cycles, determined that the gateway radio was bad. IOW, exactly as I predicted months ago. It requires a logic board replacement.

So now they have to "check with the warehouse". If it's in stock, "best case scenario" is it will be fixed "sometime this year".

Update: Finally got an appointment for service, it was four weeks out. Serviceman came yesterday (Dec.10) and, after nearly three hours and doing two full house power cycles, determined that the gateway radio was bad. IOW, exactly as I predicted months ago. It requires a logic board replacement.

So now they have to "check with the warehouse". If it's in stock, "best case scenario" is it will be fixed "sometime this year".

This isnt going to make anyone feel any better, but I recently had a service tech out to look at my system as well. After friendly chit chat, etc, during our conversation he let me know just casually that, in our area, there is a team of 4 people on the repair side but they were trying to hire more qualified people.

Because we had already talked about "IT ticketing systems" (for those not initiated, most places will work on some sort of ticketing system to assign work for stuff like this) He casually mentioned that when he looked at the queue the morning of the appointment, there were 450 tickets assigned to their team of 4 people, and that they had him booked for like 8 tickets a day. The team of 4 was sometimes "2 teams of 2" due to needing to lift powerwalls, etc.

All that to say, I am sure in various areas, the techs are booked up similarly, and tesla is trying to hire qualified people, but there will definitely be a wait for any sort of "dispatch a tech" stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
This isnt going to make anyone feel any better, but I recently had a service tech out to look at my system as well. After friendly chit chat, etc, during our conversation he let me know just casually that, in our area, there is a team of 4 people on the repair side but they were trying to hire more qualified people.

Because we had already talked about "IT ticketing systems" (for those not initiated, most places will work on some sort of ticketing system to assign work for stuff like this) He casually mentioned that when he looked at the queue the morning of the appointment, there were 450 tickets assigned to their team of 4 people, and that they had him booked for like 8 tickets a day. The team of 4 was sometimes "2 teams of 2" due to needing to lift powerwalls, etc.

All that to say, I am sure in various areas, the techs are booked up similarly, and tesla is trying to hire qualified people, but there will definitely be a wait for any sort of "dispatch a tech" stuff.
The "Great Resignation" strikes again. Ask anyone in construction, food service, retail, etc. businesses about this. I don't know what people are doing for money, but it does not seem to be working the jobs they did pre-Covid. I hope Tesla can find some people that want to transition to Solar.