Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Home Battery - Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hawaii was mentioned in the Tesla Q3 Shareholders letter. Reference Tesla Energy Production Begins at the Gigafactory.
Quote: "Recent changes to feed-in tariff structures in Hawaii also create a large new storage market in that state."
I guess that means Tesla recognizes that we are not getting the better side of the deal with electric company and they see company opportunity?

Hawaii was mentioned in the Tesla Q3 Shareholders letter. Reference Tesla Energy Production Begins at the Gigafactory.
Quote: "Recent changes to feed-in tariff structures in Hawaii also create a large new storage market in that state."
I guess that means Tesla recognizes that we are not getting the better side of the deal with electric company and they see company opportunity?
Glad they recognize that we are the highest PV consumer per capita :) Now if they would only recognize we have enough Teslas to support a Supercharger :eek:

I am not sure who else is waiting for a Powerwall, but this morning I finally got an email from Tesla to take an installation survey, So maybe we might finally be getting them here soon.

I don't think we will see them soon anywhere (other than where they are testing them). The version 2.0 announcement also said they would not be available until fall '16. But we can hope, right?

I got the email today too. I filled in the survey, including my PV stats. I was interested initially when it was announced, but if the pricing is still the same, I'm not sure if the economics make sense. There's a pretty good writeup on teslaliving and teslarati, but I haven't found enough details about the pricing to see how the economics would pencil out here with HECO's TOU-EV rate schedule and PV.

... I was interested initially when it was announced, but if the pricing is still the same, I'm not sure if the economics make sense. There's a pretty good writeup on teslaliving and teslarati, but I haven't found enough details about the pricing to see how the economics would pencil out here with HECO's TOU-EV rate schedule and PV.

I too was initially interested. I still am, but other vendors are also working on products. Some of these others sound more like what I want to do. I don't just want a daily or weekly backup. I am working my way to get off the grid. I'm up to about 8.5-9 Kw system with my last group of panels. I too am not so sure the economics are quite right to make a commitment yet. I hope we see state energy storage tax credits to match our PV panel credits. And I think we will see something from the legislature soon to help offset the cost. The renewed federal solar tax credit bill already supports energy storage with 30% so that's a help.

While not directly related to Powerwall, there is some local news regarding energy storage tax credit.

HR 212 titled the Battery Backup System Tax Credit creates an income tax credit for taxpayers who purchase and install battery backup systems for solar energy systems. Passed third reading and has been sent to the Senate.

A system shall consist of battery with a collective capacity of no more than five kWh. (That defines a system). And we can have more than one system.
The tax credit can roll over the subsequent years if it exceeds the taxpayers tax liability and used (rolled over) until exhausted.

The first version has created by the House showed a 25% credit or $10,000 per system which ever is the lesser. The third version sent to the Senate does not yet have a monetary cap or show what percentage of the system purchase/installation price will be authorized.

Last edited:
I went down to the Ala Moana Tesla (postage stamp sized) Gallery on Saturday and spoke with a woman that HAS a PowerWall installed in her house. hers is red and she is still working out what she can plug in or not to get the best use of it. I invited her here and hopefully she will log in and share more info for everyone here in Hawaii waiting for one.

A followup note about HB212 Battery Backup System Tax Credit.
I went back and looked at the web page that tracks this bill. There's testimony from our "friemenies".
When you get 20+ minutes to read it, take a look at what Dept of Taxation, HECO and state Consumer Advocate
have to say to "help" us. Here's the link - Not on our side.