Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall humming noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am waiting for a PV system with 3 PW install in March. I have this question to the folks here. My PW’s are to be mounted on the outside of our kitchen wall. (Mounted on to the home siding). Is the PW humming noise a big issue?. I have seen some videos out there, and they do seem annoying. I have a HPWH in my garage, and the hum from that can be annoying. Am yet to get over it after 6 months. I have now asked for a design change, want to have the PW’s away from the house, mount it on a masonry wall by the fence. This also means trenching for the cables. I am OK with that, if at all that is possible, waiting for the design team to get back. Has anyone done this? Do people have issues with the humming? Or am I an outlier?

I suspect that you cannot rely on feedback from other PW owners. Noise comes from thermo controlled fan and pump. since other people might have PW in different locations/conditions their feedback might be very different with what you would be getting. My PWs are in the basement with temperature between 60F and 70F. They sometimes do make noise that I can hear from 10-12 feet but since it is in the basement it does not bother me. My PWs are on concrete pedestal and attached to cement blocks wall.

I have 2 PW2s mounted on an outside wall that do create a deep electrical hum, but not all the time. I was unaware of the noise issue before installation but, luckily, the master bedroom closet is on the other side of that wall and the clothing seems to absorb much of the sound. Apparently they can be mounted in such a way to diminish the noise (?) but, Tesla customer service being what it is, I'm unlikely to pursue that. I mention it as perhaps they can install it for you with noise reduction in mind in the first place.

Mine makes several noises from water moving to steady humming to humming ascending and descending scales. Based on the feedback in these forums and suggestions from the installer I mounted mine in the garage on a wall that faced the outside only.

Mine makes several noises from water moving to steady humming to humming ascending and descending scales. Based on the feedback in these forums and suggestions from the installer I mounted mine in the garage on a wall that faced the outside only.

Mine (2) powerwall 2s ) are also mounted inside my garage, but on a wall in which the other side is outside. When I am in the garage, I can hear them slightly humming (if discharging electricity) or sometimes slightly gurgling. I am fairly sensitive to noises (as is my wife) so I would not have wanted them on any wall in which the other side was living space where quiet was expected ( like a bedroom wall, for example).

This boils down to how sensitive one is to noise, how good your hearing is, and if those type of noises are "white noise" to you or "nails on a chalkboard". I dont think they are loud at all, but I think I would hear them if they were on the outside of a bedroom wall.

For full disclosure however, I am also "that person" that bought the quietest dishwasher that bosch makes (and bosch is known for quiet dishwashers), paid extra for the super quiet garbage disposal, etc.

I am waiting for a PV system with 3 PW install in March. I have this question to the folks here. My PW’s are to be mounted on the outside of our kitchen wall. (Mounted on to the home siding). Is the PW humming noise a big issue?. I have seen some videos out there, and they do seem annoying. I have a HPWH in my garage, and the hum from that can be annoying. Am yet to get over it after 6 months. I have now asked for a design change, want to have the PW’s away from the house, mount it on a masonry wall by the fence. This also means trenching for the cables. I am OK with that, if at all that is possible, waiting for the design team to get back. Has anyone done this? Do people have issues with the humming? Or am I an outlier?
Our three powerwalls are mounted in our garage, on the other side of the family room wall. Can't hear them in the house, only in garage. They make the humming sound when they are discharging to the grid or charging from the roof. It's not that loud, but noticeable.

missed this OP in feb
i have 2 pw in garage on a wall not directly opposite living space as well as a HPWH in garage
just so you know comparing the most quiet HPWH (which i supposedly have) to even 10 powerwalls is like comparing the sound of a screaming child to a chihuahua yawning .. even the most acitvely charging / discharging powerwalls are dead silent compared to the quietest HPWH running

missed this OP in feb
i have 2 pw in garage on a wall not directly opposite living space as well as a HPWH in garage
just so you know comparing the most quiet HPWH (which i supposedly have) to even 10 powerwalls is like comparing the sound of a screaming child to a chihuahua yawning .. even the most acitvely charging / discharging powerwalls are dead silent compared to the quietest HPWH running

I appreciate the comparison. I was thinking about replacing my water heater with one of those, but something making a lot of noise like that would drive me batty.

I appreciate the comparison. I was thinking about replacing my water heater with one of those, but something making a lot of noise like that would drive me batty.
i am very sensetive to noise as well .. to be fair i was being extreme with comparing the relative noise level of each
the HpWH when running i would say sounds like a well insulated compressor running... i can hear it from garage in ajacent master bedroom closet but if you were not listeing for it or did not know what it was you would mistake it for a distant outdoor sound
i definitly would not want one in a utility closet etc inside home
if u have access to ng in your home its hard for me to wholeheartedly recommend the switch .. ng is silent / quicker to recover and cheap (at least for now) .. you prob know all this already from research
what pushed me was the cooling benefit of summer garage temps and i love the tech / app etc of my hybrid water heater

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thank you all for the responses. I have serious concerns about the ‘humming noice’, it is more an amplified resonance issue heard through the structure of the house. The HPWH hum has really brought this issue to the forefront for me. I have decided not to have the 3 PW on the wall (Kitchen). I do not have the space in my garage as I have 5 bikes to be accomodated as well. Since, we are not allowed to stack the batteries, garage is out of question. The wall of the garage is west facing, gets direct sun and I also have our a/c unit here, so this is out of question. That really leaves me with having the PW on a concrete pad along the fence and having a trench to route the cables. Not a huge deal, but I am getting no help from the project/install team. I will likely not proceed with the install, maybe cancel the project altogether. (The install is on March 10/11). Maybe, Bi-directional chargers/ equipped EV’s will be my answer.