Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Moose, how did you find Natural Solar to deal with? Reason being, is that I'm organising a Tesla Powerwall Package through them(panels, inverter,etc., with Reposit).

I've been dealing with Chris Dahl and it's been great. I've had a number of calls and emails from some of their staff. I've only done a $500 deposit so far. They've assigned sparkies from the Gold Coast who have been to the house and prewired the system from the roof to where the Powerwall will be located in the garage.

There's a delay until June on installation, for an upgrade to the inverter, but it's not an issue as we are still in construction. From Chris' comment, they are a small engineering firm and he assured me we would get the best price on the market.

EcoCloudIT, mine's only 1x Powerwall for about $18K+, but thinking about 2x PWs. Waiting for a visit from one of their CEC Accredited and Tesla Energy Certified Installers.

Moose, I get the feeling that they're "run off their feet" at the moment, and sense they're somewhat frustrated, since they told me Tesla is not suppling enough Powerwalls.

They seem like a really friendly company though, and like you Moose, I've only parted with $500 so far.

EcoCloudIT, mine's only 1x Powerwall for about $18K+, but thinking about 2x PWs. Waiting for a visit from one of their CEC Accredited and Tesla Energy Certified Installers.

Moose, I get the feeling that they're "run off their feet" at the moment, and sense they're somewhat frustrated, since they told me Tesla is not suppling enough Powerwalls.

They seem like a really friendly company though, and like you Moose, I've only parted with $500 so far.

Paul, I was told that I could have it installed immediately if I wanted to take the SolarEdge inverter instead for an extra $1,500. So I believe I have been allocated a Powerwall. Since I'm in no hurry, I said I'd wait for the Fronius to be programmed for the Powerwall. I placed the order back on 18 Feb. They've been in contact with me a number of times so I can't fault their communications. Furthermore, I'm still waiting for Energex to hook up the 3 phase and that is not happening very fast. I have the order in their system but I guess the upgrade to 3 phase is not a high priority with Energex. My sparkie told me to expect at least a month and it could well be more.

What panels did you go for Ludicrs? Looks like a Solar Edge Invertor?

Size of array?

Cost if you don't mind me asking?

-ECIT

Hi ECIT,
I got the below for approx. 18k:

6.5kw Solar System
26 × 250 watt Tier 1 Phono Panels (25 Year Performance Warranty)
Solar Edge Hybrid Inverter Single Phase (12 Year Warranty)
7kw Tesla Powerwall (10 Year Warranty)
Reposit Power System

Particularly excited about the Reposit Power system, its a fantastic concept and can't wait to see it in action when they install it next week.

I have 3 phase power at home but I'm told that I don't need a 3 phase inverter. Apparently Energex only allow export on a single phase anyway and the SolarEdge hybrid inverter is capable of load balancing across the phases internally anyway. I've verified this through the inverter online monitoring system, I can see the full house load in it and full solar production distributed internally regardless of phase. i.e. (it powers our ducted aircon system on a separate phase when turned on).

Looks great Ludicrous:D

EcoCloudIT, I've been quoted another $7K for an extra PW, pushing my job to $25,390, which is about $3K more than your job, so wondering what the extra$$ would be, apart from government rebates??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 2.53.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 2.53.02 PM.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 61
To get that price I need to put down a bigger deposit upfront....from memory about $3k.

Just got the approval from the wife to have some west facing (also street facing) solar panels.

Might have to call Chris back straight away.

My system is identical to Ludicrs with the exception of 2x PowerWalls (including the Reposit Power System: I must admit I'm a bit shaking on what that actually do for more? For example if both PowerWalls are charged and the house is drawing less than the solar array is producing does one still get paid a fee in tariff?).

-ECIT

What does everyone think of the Zcell?

I looked at the drop is store on the PowerWalls after 5 years (3.8!) and was not very impressed.

I need the 12kw per day, hence the 2x Powerwalls.... looks like I may be better off with 2x Zcells so I'll have more available energy to sell back and use myself when Zcell support Reposit Power.

Am I missing something re the PowerWalls?

-ECIT

How intelligent is the battery management on the powerwall? Eg if the battery is depleted overnight is it smart enough to charge 1 unit or so on off peak power to get through morning demand before solar production can take over meeting that demand?

Regarding the Z-cells they seem interesting. Round trip efficiency seems lower than powerwall and the need to perform regular maintenance cycles may affect some if they only have a single cell but if those aren't critical to you it seems a better technical solution. Not sure of the cost comparison though, bearing in mind they are a 10kWh cell they are probably on par with a 2 unit powerwall install.

Actually, got quoted $31k'ish (with all the bits including installation, however not the PV) when I talked to RedFlow the other day...this is about $4k more than 3x PowerWalls and all the bits/installed.

I'd go with the PowerWalls however I'm very concerned about the warranty, only 50% after 5 years, whereas the ZCells are still at 100%...only downside I can see in a home situation (outside of price and weight) for the ZCells is having to pump in 12kw to get the 10kw of stored energy over PowerWall at around 10.5kw.

-ECIT

Actually, got quoted $31k'ish (with all the bits including installation, however not the PV) when I talked to RedFlow the other day...this is about $4k more than 3x PowerWalls and all the bits/installed.

I'd go with the PowerWalls however I'm very concerned about the warranty, only 50% after 5 years, whereas the ZCells are still at 100%...only downside I can see in a home situation (outside of price and weight) for the ZCells is having to pump in 12kw to get the 10kw of stored energy over PowerWall at around 10.5kw.

-ECIT
For the premium I'd go for the z-cell due to the degradation over time from the powerwall. Unless you expect more than a 6kW power draw.
Was the quote for a DC coupled system?