Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was not directly comparing them, I realised one is a daily cycle and the other is weekly. The car battery is designed to be charged back to 100% everyday if you want though. I was assuming the basic composition and structure of the battery is the same. I thought that the battery in the car is supposed to be good for at least 1500 cycles? The LEAF battery certainly isn't seeing degradation this bad and daily commuters in those would be getting cycled daily. There is one guy has done over 150,000 miles in his, which is roughly 2500 cycles and only now is 50%. He was charging before work and at work. 2 full cycles per day, he ended up needing a quick top up on his way as he had a 65 mile commute vs 73 mile range at purchase.

Just received an update that the Fronius inverter that was due to be supplied by Natural Solar to link with the Powerwall will not be available until at least the end of the year.

As our house is now completed (more or less, we have moved in) we are going to go with the SolarEdge inverter. It is slightly more expensive ($1,500) but Natural Solar has agreed to a concession due to the delay on the Fronius.

Does anyone know how the reservation system works for this? I filled in the "Reserve" form on the Tesla web site quite a while ago. Do you get contacted by Tesla, or do they feed these "reservations" out to their retailers/power companies? The process seems a bit of a mystery.
Yeah I registered and was contacted by tesla to see if I was serious, and they told me to contact origin energy. Since then I got a quote on the LG system I can send you if you like. More bang for your buck!

Hi OzSimon

When you say more bang for buck I assume KW's for $'s?

What's the warranty like on the LG? How many promised KW's % after X years?

Operating temperatures before degradation (covered by or not on the warranty)?

Tesla recently updated their warranty on the Powerwall, it's better but a lot of grey areas still.

-ECIT

Hi, I got quoted today by a reputable Gold Coast installer $16.5K for a 5KW system with 1 powerwall. Asked them questions about how loud the powerwall is and they do not know. Also asked them if two PW combined means 2x max output or drained in serial... Don't know.....

Maybe one of the early adopters could help with details what it's like to live with a PW?

Cheers.

Tesla-Powerwall-R&M.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: houdini
EV Holiday, our Powerwall was installed yesterday. There is a hum but it's not very loud. We have our Powerwall in the garage and in our office directly behind the Powerwall, I can hear it. The wall is insulated.

If you were talking to Taylor Energy they should be able to take you to one of the sites they installed on the Gold Coast, there a number of them. One person installed 6 Powerwall with 3 inverters. That should be a good site to visit. If you are up to the Sunshine Coast you are welcome to check out our installation.

PS: You can also install it outside, then you are unlikely to hear anything.

PS: Natural Solar who were our provider from Sydney were on Sunrise (Channel 7) this morning. They installed the first Powerwall in Australia in Western Sydney and the owners were also interviewed.

Hi, I got quoted today by a reputable Gold Coast installer $16.5K for a 5KW system with 1 powerwall. Asked them questions about how loud the powerwall is and they do not know. Also asked them if two PW combined means 2x max output or drained in serial... Don't know.....

Maybe one of the early adopters could help with details what it's like to live with a PW?

Cheers.

Phone Michael King at Natural Solar 0414 766 271. He should be able to answer most of your questions. James Taylor from Taylor Energy 0422 028 014. I hope I'm allowed to post info of this nature on this site.

• Informative
Reactions: houdini
Thanks a lot! This is very helpful information. I will follow up with those people asap.

Your photo looks great! The PW is huge next to you guys. I always imagined it to be smaller based on videos online.

I plan to start a Youtube channel about Tesla in Australia. Right now still learning how to edit videos and getting the right camera gears. Would be great if I can visit you one day to get first hand tales told by owners on video.

Hopefully your energy bill will be down 90% just like the one in Sydney reported on the news everywhere.

Hi OzSimon

When you say more bang for buck I assume KW's for $'s?

What's the warranty like on the LG? How many promised KW's % after X years?

Operating temperatures before degradation (covered by or not on the warranty)?

Tesla recently updated their warranty on the Powerwall, it's better but a lot of grey areas still.

-ECIT
I got a call from tesla yesterday, $9-11k for 6.4kw power wall installed. My LG quote was $14k for 10kw and 100 amp charger. Allegedly better batteries...?

A little update, now that we have a bit of history and we are able to monitor our energy usage, consumption and feed into grid from the SolarEdge software.

Powerwall was installed on 26 July, solar meter by Energex on 4 Aug. We've been monitoring usage, consumption, feed in daily. We found that 6.4 kw stored in the Powerwall was eaten up every night. Two day ago, we decided to turn off the water heater at 4 pm. (We do not have solar water or off peak rates). Result: last two night Powerwall still had 33% before it started recharging at 7 am. Our consumption from the grid is almost negligible. We are going to get our sparkie to install a timer for the hot water to run from say, 10 to 3 which should be more than sufficient for our needs.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask or if you are in the neighbourhood, Cutters Ridge, Bli Bli do drop by.

PS: We will need to review our electricity usage once the hot tub is operational.

• Informative
Reactions: Xwing and PaulW
Yesterday we had a timer installed for our water heater, set to heat between 10 am and 2 pm. We probably only need a couple of hours. When we were turning off the water heater manually, we forgot to turn it back on one day and never noticed any difference in the water temperature. In the summer months we could get away with probably heating the water once a week.

We also had the backup power supply installed in case of an outage. The main fridge and the lights on the one side of the house, where we live, are on that circuit.

For those who have already installed two Powerwalls: does the second one appear to be "dead" or in "sleep mode"? Reason being, my second one appears to either not be working, or very quiet. The first one hums etc.,so you can tell it's doing it's thing! It's been like this from the start.