Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had 36 hour power outage as a result of TC Debbie. Although the Powerwall was drained when the power went out, by the next morning the Powerwall fully charged (we had a sunny day) and we had power to our main fridge and the lights on the one side of the house. We added power to our other fridges, one TV and Internet. By the end of the day we still had 92% of the Powerwall charged up. This lasted until power was restored and the hot water heater kicked in. It drained most of the stored energy in the Powerwall. We managed quite well including in the evening when no solar was being produced.

Reactions: baillies
Which Powerwall do you have moose is this the 1 or the 2?

We have Powerwall 1. (we ordered in March while building our house. First PW1 had been installed in Sydney 3 months earlier) Powerwall 2 is only just now being introduced in Australia.

Powerwall 1 does our needs at the moment. Our main power draws are water heater, hot tub pump and heater, double oven, commercial dryer. WH is a timer from 9 to 11, hot tub from 12 to 7 (autumn, winter, spring, otherwise 12 to 4), dryer we use on sunny days and solar generates our needs. Electric kettle sucks a lot as well every morning.

This will not suffice for when we get the car if we charge at night. 6.4 kw is not a lot. Tesla Energy called me after the blackout to get our take on how we fared out. PW1 uses the 18650 batteries while PW2 uses the 2170. If we want greater storage we can install a second PW1 or replace our current unit with PW2 (with 14 kw storage).

Our last electricity bill was a credit of $5.25. We expect our next one will be a credit as well. However in the winter months we expect to pay possibly $50 to $100 per quarter. Our first bill, partway through construction and before solar hookup by Energex was $400 for the quarter.

PS: Sorry I didn't answer sooner. We are currently in Cambodia and heading back to Ho Chi Minh City where we both had dental work at an International clinic after 10 years of neglect. We have both had an implant of which the cost of one implant in Australia exceeded the total cost of 5 days of dental work: root canals, 5 crowns, fillings, X-rays, catscans, etc. We will be returning to HCMC in 4 months for the crown on the implants.

Cheers, Roger

Reactions: Attica04
Revival of an old thread...

Grid outages are fairly rare these days unless there has been a storm, but last night my entire suburb went out, right at dinner time, for 2 hours. I don’t know what the cause was, but thanks to PW2 we could (mostly) sail on!

We have 3-phase power so only one of the phases is backed up, 2 out of 6 power circuits and 2 out of 6 lighting circuits. The Tesla App display went into an interesting “warning” mode with an orange border around the display and report of the PW2 charge state on the Power Flow chart.

F10676A2-300F-4EE7-B0B6-27575FE73142.png

Kitchen power and lounge room lights stayed on (good) but the other lighting and power circuit that remained active were not as useful. I might get a sparky to rearrange the circuits to “optimise” the ones that stay on if this ever happens again.

• Love
Reactions: ICUDoc and paulp
Revival of an old thread...

Grid outages are fairly rare these days unless there has been a storm, but last night my entire suburb went out, right at dinner time, for 2 hours. I don’t know what the cause was, but thanks to PW2 we could (mostly) sail on!

We have 3-phase power so only one of the phases is backed up, 2 out of 6 power circuits and 2 out of 6 lighting circuits. The Tesla App display went into an interesting “warning” mode with an orange border around the display and report of the PW2 charge state on the Power Flow chart.

View attachment 641419

Kitchen power and lounge room lights stayed on (good) but the other lighting and power circuit that remained active were not as useful. I might get a sparky to rearrange the circuits to “optimise” the ones that stay on if this ever happens again.

I was told our power never really goes out....the PW2 says different....love the PW2:

PW2 Outages.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ICUDoc
Cross-post for my fellow Aussie Powerwall users:

Hey all. A few years ago I created the Powerwall Companion app for Windows 10, which is designed to be an always-on dashboard to monitor your Powerwall 2 battery, solar and energy consumption. I've had this running on an old Windows Phone, but now these are becoming even more rare I've spent some time porting this app to Android.

The app is still in beta, and I suspect there may be some layout issues on some devices, but I'd love it if people could give it try and let me know if there are any issues before I roll it out more broadly. The direct installation link is here (it's not discoverable by searching the Play Store while in beta). Note this is not intended as a replacement for the main Tesla app - it's intended to be left running permanently, likely on an old device. The app is and will remain completely free. No there is no iOS version, but if anyone has Xamarin iOS skills and wants to give this a go, the code for this app is shared and contributions are welcome.

LUNPt-mdgxQKOUglqQkST6Zp43jGkjEuNYFVDTWrRMysAULkAq4aP-_BLUGtyc-S4Asr=w1920-h969-rw

The one thing i'd like to do is create a simple Alexa voice app to call the API to get the status, eg charging at 4kw; 51% full

It's technically not too tricky but.. you need time to get it done and work and life has been quite busy the last year.