Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall in New England ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@robby - when did you place your order ? We've been waiting since Summer and still no word on our install.
Yeah, they've been late to get anything to Massachusetts. We pre-ordered (with a reservation payment to secure our spot in line) in 2015 and confirmed our configuration in March of last year (the wait was on their end, not ours). Installation has been pushed back a few times because they kept (understandably) shipping all their inventory to Australia and Puerto Rico. I'm told ours was one of the first MA installs.

Hopefully they reach out to you soon, but I'd probably get in touch with your contact and ask for an updated ETA. I assume you had your in-home assessment and accepted a configuration already?

Just got the documents to sign for interconnect with Eversource. I started the process in April of 2018 with uncertainty regarding install time frame. The site survey was performed very rapidly after order - but there was very little interaction after that. After a few months they called to say it would likely be the end of the year - but then it was radio silence. I think it is likely that they are now trying to tackle their Massachusetts backlog.

@robby thanks for the update ! I actually don’t have an assigned energy advisor. I ordered online and the site survey was completed fairly quickly (just like @trmmcd ). Papers were signed and deposit paid right away. Radio silence since then. There was one email from Utah right around the time that Tesla laid off workers in the Utah center (iirc) and nothing since. I’ve been occasionally calling the scheduling center to see if they can provide an update but there’s no clarity yet.

@robby thanks for the update ! I actually don’t have an assigned energy advisor. I ordered online and the site survey was completed fairly quickly (just like @trmmcd ). Papers were signed and deposit paid right away. Radio silence since then. There was one email from Utah right around the time that Tesla laid off workers in the Utah center (iirc) and nothing since. I’ve been occasionally calling the scheduling center to see if they can provide an update but there’s no clarity yet.
This is what's bothering the most about this whole experience. Nobody seems to know anything. Information just goes missing without any traces. What's even worse, it seems like people I spoke with invent things just to keep me content, but then when I talk to the next person, they have no idea what's going on. So far, my experience has been: anything related to Tesla cars (service, delivery, etc.) has been great. Absolutely everything else that Tesla does (rewards, online store, energy products, etc.) has been absolutely terrible. Some of the worst experiences that I've had dealing with any company.

• Funny
Reactions: yousexy
A 10kWh system won't even cover me for a one-day power outage. I think there's hidden reasons Eversource is blocking. If battery prices continue to shrink, and a three to seven day backup becomes feasible - linked with solar panels - there will be no reason for Eversource to exist as people switch.

For those that have the Powerwall installed - do any of you have a well pump backed up by the Powerwall ?
Thanks!
To the best of my understanding, Powerwalls don't back up breaker by breaker. They back up incoming power line to the house. As in - they sit before the breaker panel. Each powerwall can backup up to 30 amps. So if you get 1 powerwall it will not be able to back up your electric dryer (which usually requires 40 amps). But 2 powerwalls should be able to handle it. Well pumps are usually reasonably low amperage. Mine is 12 amps. So a single powerwall should be able to keep it running. That's one of the primary reasons I'm trying to install powerwalls, to back up well pump and heater, at least.

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf
Thanks for the info ! I am indeed getting two powerwalls and heard from Tesla that they wanted to know full details on the well pump. Strange that they didn’t get those details during the site visit.
I am planning to have the whole house backed up (except for my tesla wall charger @72Amp). If the well pump can’t be backed up, then the Powerwalls are a no go for me and I’ll have to get a (ugh) gas/propane generator.

Thanks for the info ! I am indeed getting two powerwalls and heard from Tesla that they wanted to know full details on the well pump. Strange that they didn’t get those details during the site visit.
I am planning to have the whole house backed up (except for my tesla wall charger @72Amp). If the well pump can’t be backed up, then the Powerwalls are a no go for me and I’ll have to get a (ugh) gas/propane generator.

In case they didn't explain why they are concerned about the well pump, it's probably because older pumps have higher locked rotor amp ratings than two Powerwalls can support. But even if that's true in your situation, you can probably replace your well pump with a compatible one for about 10-15% of the cost of a 2-Powerwall installation.

Also, do you have solar? If so, car charging is a great way to use excess solar during an extended outage. Since it's so easy to limit the draw of an HPWC (just flipping some DIP switches), why not have them reduce it to 40 or 48A and keep it in the main panel? After the install is done, if you like, you can just flip the DIP switches back and have the best of both worlds -- charge at full speed during normal circumstances, and lower the amperage setting in the car during outages so you can still capture excess solar. They may insist on a 50A breaker replacement during the install but that too is an easy swap. Just a thought.

To the best of my understanding, Powerwalls don't back up breaker by breaker. They back up incoming power line to the house. As in - they sit before the breaker panel. Each powerwall can backup up to 30 amps. So if you get 1 powerwall it will not be able to back up your electric dryer (which usually requires 40 amps). But 2 powerwalls should be able to handle it. Well pumps are usually reasonably low amperage. Mine is 12 amps. So a single powerwall should be able to keep it running. That's one of the primary reasons I'm trying to install powerwalls, to back up well pump and heater, at least.

Yeah, there's no way to do it breaker by breaker. My guess is that if any single appliance is likely to trip the Powerwalls, they'll rewire that appliance into a separate panel after the meter but straight off the main.

With respect to the well pump, it's not the running draw that could pose a problem; it's the startup draw. On older units the latter can be 3-5x the former. There may also be other workable solutions than buying a new pump. For example, some soft start devices may be able to provide enough capacitance to get the motor running without ever exceeding 60A at the panel.

Not yet, but I plan to sometime next year. I heard from a participant in Green Mountain Power's Powerwall program that Tesla requires at least 2 Powerwalls for people with well pumps, due to the motor starting load.
My well pump is KVM rated at M. This means a staring current of 10-11 amps according to the NEMA standards. Hopefully two powerwalls can handle this.

Also, do you have solar? If so, car charging is a great way to use excess solar during an extended outage.
I do have solar. But without the powerwalls the system is off-line during an outage. For me, the main reason to get the powerwalls is to have a working water supply during an outage. Everything else is icing on the cake :)

Reactions: kayak1
Just got the documents to sign for interconnect with Eversource. I started the process in April of 2018 with uncertainty regarding install time frame. The site survey was performed very rapidly after order - but there was very little interaction after that. After a few months they called to say it would likely be the end of the year - but then it was radio silence. I think it is likely that they are now trying to tackle their Massachusetts backlog.
Just a quick update. I got the call today for installation. Currently scheduled for 1/31. So in the big picture they are at least close to what was last communicated to me - installation at the end of the year. Only one month late.

Reactions: masam
FYI, Tesla called to schedule my powerwalls last week. I asked if the hubbub with MA DPU was resolved. She put me on hold then came back and said yes. Anyone else in an Eversource region get their OK recently as well?

Very exciting!

I feel like a functional illiterate, what is the bottom line from these documents the DPU emailed me yesterday?
Can't they just publish an executive summary?

Attachments

• D.P.U. 17-146-B Order 02.01.19.pdf
    646.5 KB · Views: 48
  • D.P.U. 17-146-A Order 02.01.19.pdf
    469.3 KB · Views: 40
The ruling pretty much states that three out four configurations will be eligible for NetMetering.

And furthermore, inadvertently export of energy back to Grid, cannot be used to disqualify customer from NetMetering in Solar Panel + Battery storage paired installation. In simple term, exporting a few watts back to the grid from the battery is OK.

Tesla Battery anyone? Good ruling but took so freaking long to issue.

Last edited: