Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall in New England ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - wondering if you have any updates on your installation? My mom is looking to install 2 Powerwalls in Acushnet but is being told by Tesla that they're not approved by EverSource and don't have a timeline for that approval. I am currently trying to get details from EverSource but this is proving quite difficult.
I've had 2 Powerwalls installed for over a year now and I'm using EverSource. So EverSource does approve them, it just takes forever. It took me about 1.5 years to get the approval for my installation. The only problem is that EverSource counts Powerwall toward the cap for renewable energy, so your entire system (solar panels + powerwalls) can't go over some specific limit. I think when I was going through the process the limit was at 21kWh. Each powerwall counts as somewhere around 7kWh, so installing 3 powerwalls is a problem, since it doesn't leave anything for solar.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
I've had 2 Powerwalls installed for over a year now and I'm using EverSource. So EverSource does approve them, it just takes forever. It took me about 1.5 years to get the approval for my installation. The only problem is that EverSource counts Powerwall toward the cap for renewable energy, so your entire system (solar panels + powerwalls) can't go over some specific limit. I think when I was going through the process the limit was at 21kWh. Each powerwall counts as somewhere around 7kWh, so installing 3 powerwalls is a problem, since it doesn't leave anything for solar.

I have solar (since 2011) and 3 Powerwalls (for about a year). It did take forever for approval, but I don't recall any cap.

I have solar (since 2011) and 3 Powerwalls (for about a year). It did take forever for approval, but I don't recall any cap.
I was trying to increase my solar array at the same time as I was installing Powerwalls, but was told that I can't, since it would be over the cap that EverSource have. To be honest, it really sounds that EverSource just does whatever they want for every separate installation, and there's no set of rules that follow for all cases...

This is very interesting because I was literally told by EverSource that Tesla was not participating in the program.

Where are you located? And just to confirm, we're talking about EverSource's Demand Response program where they pay you for peak event discharges?

This is very interesting because I was literally told by EverSource that Tesla was not participating in the program.

Where are you located? And just to confirm, we're talking about EverSource's Demand Response program where they pay you for peak event discharges?

I'm in Weston, and no, that's just PowerWalls connected to my solar array and working as a back-up for my house. No additional programs.
I believe the information you were given is correct. Tesla is part of the similar program with National Grid, but not with EverSource. Although I never checked, since I only need PowerWalls as backup power, as I live in wooded area where power goes down after almost every storm, and I have no gas for a generator.

I'm in Weston, and no, that's just PowerWalls connected to my solar array and working as a back-up for my house. No additional programs.
I believe the information you were given is correct. Tesla is part of the similar program with National Grid, but not with EverSource. Although I never checked, since I only need PowerWalls as backup power, as I live in wooded area where power goes down after almost every storm, and I have no gas for a generator.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification

Just received an e-mail from Eversource announcing they are now accepting applications for PowerWalls. https://www.eversource.com/content/...nergy/battery-demand-response-application.pdf

EDIT: to clarify, the e-mail stated to send a filled out copy of the application to [email protected]

I take it this is MA/CT only and not NH?
I haven't heard a peep out of Eversource/Unitil/NHEC about any such programs in NH. If you are in Liberty territory, you can sign up for their battery pilot (apparently there are still a few openings), where you lease a pair of powerwalls for 10 years, with the performance payments rolled into lower battery costs, vs buying the battery for full retail and then getting performance payments to offset the cost - Liberty Utilities files for Tesla battery pilot in NH

Since the costs for Liberty's program are known up front, whereas Eversource's performance payments are not guaranteed, Liberty's program is more deterministic/arguably less risky to the customer.

Not super thrilled with that as I do not 100% trust them, but no other real practical options.

Bumping, to see if people's compensation is working out? I also remain a bit cynical:
-COVID 19 demand effects could blunt 2020 peaks. Does this mean zero battery comp, if peak events aren't declared this year?

Looking more closely at solar + battery, I am wondering if the time is approaching where SMART's eventual replacement could be beaten by the option of simply staying on a base rate plan, exporting no watts to Eversource, and trying to time-shift as much as possible with batteries? Kind of an unfair question, as "nobody knows". But Eversource has touched upon introducing demand charges (based on your max KW draw), and may at some point discriminate higher monthly fixed charges upon solar users.

I need to look, again, at how SMART reset things, but would be curious to know if people are happy with their battery compensation, or for that matter, the solar watts they export? Thanks

@3mp_kwh: My Powerwalls were installed last Fall and I just received compensation for a few events that occurred in the winter. I have no idea when these events happened and wasn't even aware of it. Happy with the check from Tesla. (Perfer not to post details publicly). Our primary reason for getting Powerwalls was to mitigate the very reliable power outages. The Demand Response/Connected Solutions program happens to be a nice unexpected benefit.

How many power fail events have you had since the fall? (and the durations?)
We've had 14 outages since last September. Three of them were almost 2 hours, one was nearly 3 hours, most of the rest under 15 minutes. Being on well water, I personally find even the shortest outages unnerving. Before we had the Powerwalls, we experienced a 24-hour outage in the winter. Don't want to go through that again.

(Also, note for those interested - National Grid is calling the first event of the summer today. Hoping to see this reflected in the usage chart in the Tesla app later)

We've had 14 outages since last September. ... National Grid
Anecdotally, Nat Grid seems less reliable than "Ever"source.

Are you selecting a higher reserve, or "backup" on your PW's, to ensure the Connected Solutions compensation? If you are being paid unwittingly, it doesn't sound like there was any lead time to adjust. You may not know, but out of curiosity is there anywhere where the demand event shows up on your bill as either KW's, or KWh's?

As far as program predictability, I don't think Connected Solutions is that easy, because it isn't only about the hottest day(s).

Considering PV & PW, I am trying to reacquaint with ES solar rates and SMART. I'm aware it's a formula, and not a simple "export" rate, so could use a quick walk through (or link) on the PV side. All I've found, so far, is what looks like an old EnergySage page, that looks dated:
2020 Eversource Net Metering Rates | EnergySage
Before more changes in April/May, I last remember Eversource East hadn't reached its NEM cap. I also remember calculating "SMART" compensation, at something near $.09/KWh(?).

I can comment how this stuff works in other states off the top of my head, but with research can't do it in the state I live :(

Called Tesla:
-Eversource is not offering a battery incentive, at my southwest metro locale
-Mass Save: .04/KWh of solar production, toward your battery, if you include one in the install (incentive oddly not metered on battery use, or utility controlled). Was told "Connected Solutions" doesn't apply.
-Mass Save: $.10/KWh of solar production, for solar itself
-Full retail NEM (base rate generation, trans, dist, etc), for panel ratings of 12KW and lower
-Half retail NEM, against ALL of your watts, if you go above 12KW.

I was really surprised, and am still trying to verify the KW threshold and how the NEM rate falls in half at 10-12KW. Solar shouldn't be slowing down, if what I heard is true. Modeled out, I get pay-offs in 4.8 - 5.5 years, using 12KW (no PW) and 24KW (1PW). Even at half retail NEM, it;s hard to justify a battery. And that's too bad for the state. I was quoted about $7,700 per PW (installed + gateway, trying to sell me 4). Federal ITC and MA $1k rebate applied.

Anecdotally, Nat Grid seems less reliable than "Ever"source.

Are you selecting a higher reserve, or "backup" on your PW's, to ensure the Connected Solutions compensation? If you are being paid unwittingly, it doesn't sound like there was any lead time to adjust. You may not know, but out of curiosity is there anywhere where the demand event shows up on your bill as either KW's, or KWh's?
I typically set the batteries to 80% reserve. I did get a notification a day in advance during the first event of this summer, so there was time to set a higher reserve. Not sure why they didn't send out an email during the Winter events. I'll have to check the bill for July to see if the event shows up as KW/KWh.

Another battery to consider is The Pika Energy Island™ - Smarter home energy storage - Pika Energy They package Panasonic 18650s in ways that can be stand-alone or added on to existing systems which might be cheaper.
I agree that net meetering, as a seasonal battery, is more helpful than an undersized overpriced battery in a New England garage but some storage is worth a lot when the power goes out.
@kayak1 what’s up? Which part do you disagree with on this post from 2/19?
Update FYI Generac bought Pika and Neurio a few months after that post but AFAIK Pika still sells their blue boxes.

Yes, we are seeing near daily “events” for 0.1kW many days in a row. This is in southern RI. I was also happy to get a check from Tesla for the summer events in Feb/March of this year. We did also have some events here during winter as well, so I’m not sure what sort of time delay there will be in getting that. Being in a coastal beach town with many above-ground power lines, the power walls have been helpful to say the least.