Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Install costs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Friends,

Has anyone done this scenario?:

Have Tesla install a solar system, but have your own Powerwall whether via a referral or what have you...

If so, what did it cost on top of your solar costs? Would Tesla do this? Just wondering if it's cheaper to buy a Powerwall locally and have Tesla put it in when they do our Solar.

Thanks for sharing your advice and experience!

Hi Friends,

Has anyone done this scenario?:

Have Tesla install a solar system, but have your own Powerwall whether via a referral or what have you...

If so, what did it cost on top of your solar costs? Would Tesla do this? Just wondering if it's cheaper to buy a Powerwall locally and have Tesla put it in when they do our Solar.

Thanks for sharing your advice and experience!

No, it wont be cheaper that way. Tesla charges 3k for one powerwall (install) 2500 for 2, and 4000 for 3, if you dont have any installation combo price deductions, which you get when you bundle solar + powerwall.

Referral powerwalls do have some installation credit, but its not enough to cover the cost of the basic installation, especially for one.

No, it wont be cheaper that way. Tesla charges 3k for one powerwall (install) 2500 for 2, and 4000 for 3, if you dont have any installation combo price deductions, which you get when you bundle solar + powerwall.

Referral powerwalls do have some installation credit, but its not enough to cover the cost of the basic installation, especially for one.
Thanks friend... Wonder why you got down voted?

What about Tesla licensed installers? Are they able to retrofit the wall seamlessly into the system after the fact of Solar installation from Tesla?

If so, any costs/experience you guys can share there? Thanks.

I dont have any costs for third party installers, but tesla certified third party installers can absolutely install powerwalls onto solar installed by just about anyone, tesla included.

Probably because he swapped something:

$1000 bundling discount

$3500 for 3 - $1000 = $2500
$4000 for 2 - $1000 = $3000
$4500 for 1 - $1000 = $3500

I mentioned "if you dont have any installation combo discount", because this OP was asking about "if you install them separately".

That means no bundle discount applies. If tesla is charging 3500 for one, and 4000 for two, that is different than it was in january with no bundling discount as I purchased 2 powerwalls in January of this year. Are you sure the prices you are quoting without bundle discount are correct?

Note: 1 powerwall was more expensive to install than 2, so that price was not swapped.

I read that on Battery Day recently it was announced that the "bundle" discount was reduced. When i signed up on July 13 there was a bundle discount of $2500 for 3 PWs if ordered together with solar panels at the same time. There was also priority installation date given it you ordered solar plus PWs I was told because it was a bigger money maker than solar alone.

I mentioned "if you dont have any installation combo discount", because this OP was asking about "if you install them separately".

That means no bundle discount applies. If tesla is charging 3500 for one, and 4000 for two, that is different than it was in january with no bundling discount as I purchased 2 powerwalls in January of this year. Are you sure the prices you are quoting without bundle discount are correct?

Note: 1 powerwall was more expensive to install than 2, so that price was not swapped.

But you said....

Tesla charges 3k for one powerwall (install) 2500 for 2, and 4000 for 3, if you dont have any installation combo price deductions, which you get when you bundle solar + powerwall.

1 = $3k
2 = $2500
3 = $4000

But it's actually(without bundling discount):
1 = $4500
2 = $4000
3 = $3500

The total cost actually goes down. This isn't per power but for all of them combined.
Did I miss something?

But you said....

1 = $3k
2 = $2500
3 = $4000

But it's actually(without bundling discount):
1 = $4500
2 = $4000
3 = $3500

The total cost actually goes down. This isn't per power but for all of them combined.
Did I miss something?

That was not the cost structure in January of this year, without bundling discount. The cost did not go down from 1 to 2, it went up from 2500 to 3000. Of course, tesla changes pricing all the time so it may not be what it was in january of this year, but I am certain that the cost structure in january for install with no bundle discount is exactly what I posted.

I think the disconnect is, I am quoting just the installation costs as they existed in January. Its possible that what you are looking at is the cost of the gateway + the installation. When I go to configure it on teslas website, it shows "gateway + installation". When I purchased in january the price of the gateway was broken out of the cost of installation as a separate charge.

When I look at just powerwalls on teslas website, the line item for "Gateway + installation" is shown as 4500 for one powerwall, That same line item is shown as 4000 for 2 powerwalls, which fits exactly what was shown in january that 1 powerwall was more expensive to install than 2 (because 1 powerwall always = partial backup, but 2 powerwalls for many people = whole home backup and less install work for tesla).

When I bought, the gateway was 1k itself, then installation. By these charges it looks like the gateway might be more expensive (1500) for the hardware, but they dont show it broken out like they did when I bought. I suspect that the pricing I provided for base installation is still correct, but one could certainly call tesla and get a quote and ask them directly how much basic install is for powerwalls with no incentives.

EDIT: I had to dig a bit at teslas website to get powerwall only quotes. I had to go to tesla.com/powerwall, as that was the only way I could find to get a quote on powerwalls without solar. the basic website navigation doesnt seem to let you get to powerwalls without quoting solar... probably because of the powerwall shortage.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
That was not the cost structure in January of this year, without bundling discount. The cost did not go down from 1 to 2, it went up from 2500 to 3000. Of course, tesla changes pricing all the time so it may not be what it was in january of this year, but I am certain that the cost structure in january for install with no bundle discount is exactly what I posted.

I think the disconnect is, I am quoting just the installation costs as they existed in January. Its possible that what you are looking at is the cost of the gateway + the installation. When I go to configure it on teslas website, it shows "gateway + installation". When I purchased in january the price of the gateway was broken out of the cost of installation as a separate charge.

When I look at just powerwalls on teslas website, the line item for "Gateway + installation" is shown as 4500 for one powerwall, That same line item is shown as 4000 for 2 powerwalls, which fits exactly what was shown in january that 1 powerwall was more expensive to install than 2 (because 1 powerwall always = partial backup, but 2 powerwalls for many people = whole home backup and less install work for tesla).

When I bought, the gateway was 1k itself, then installation. By these charges it looks like the gateway might be more expensive (1500) for the hardware, but they dont show it broken out like they did when I bought. I suspect that the pricing I provided for base installation is still correct, but one could certainly call tesla and get a quote and ask them directly how much basic install is for powerwalls with no incentives.

EDIT: I had to dig a bit at teslas website to get powerwall only quotes. I had to go to tesla.com/powerwall, as that was the only way I could find to get a quote on powerwalls without solar. the basic website navigation doesnt seem to let you get to powerwalls without quoting solar... probably because of the powerwall shortage.

That certainly clarifies. It was only pointing out why someone might have down voted you since it's been quite some time since January :)

Looking at the Tesla website, it seems like they have definitely changed the pricing for gateway+install. $4,500 for 1 PW, dropping by $500 for each PW to $3,000 for 4 PWs. But then increasing by $500 after that to $6,000 for 10 PWs. (And all seem to have the same $1k credit for installing with solar.)

It is a bit odd because the decrease in cost for multiple PWs had been attributed to whole-home being easier to configure than partial. Perhaps they have found that since 2/3 PWs doesn't always mean whole home, so they are charging based on the average costs.

Looking at the Tesla website, it seems like they have definitely changed the pricing for gateway+install. $4,500 for 1 PW, dropping by $500 for each PW to $3,000 for 4 PWs. But then increasing by $500 after that to $6,000 for 10 PWs. (And all seem to have the same $1k credit for installing with solar.)

It is a bit odd because the decrease in cost for multiple PWs had been attributed to whole-home being easier to configure than partial. Perhaps they have found that since 2/3 PWs doesn't always mean whole home, so they are charging based on the average costs.

Odd given that they were only doing partial backup with my 3 powerwalls because of limitations for my existing service panel. I'm not having the service panel upgraded 2 days before the PW/Solar install so they can configure the GW2 for whole home but it didn't change the price...except of course for the $4200 to upgrade the panel.

That certainly clarifies. It was only pointing out why someone might have down voted you since it's been quite some time since January :)

in the bottom half of my statement I might not have been clear, but I checked that this morning so the pricing is consistent with pricing on teslas website as of this morning for "gateway + installation", which is the pricing you appear to be quoting.

EDIT: let me amend this to say that, yes, the pricing structure has changed since January, lol... but I am not currently aware of what the powerwall installation costs are without the gateway attached.

Last edited:

A friend was quoted $27,000 for 3PWS in August. She is awaiting site inspection of her current
non - Tesla solar system. She asked me what I paid but I bought both at the same time. Is $27,000 the current quote from your research? If it is lower, can she request a reduction? I seem to remember that option was given with the change in panels from the 315 to the 350 model.
She also said the 27,000 was slightly lower than a local installer price. I wonder if the non Tesla installer would be faster and worth the extra money or slower due to availability of PWs and high demand now with PSPS and many wildfires here in North SF Bay.. Tesla has not given her an installation date other than a vague this late year date possible. Any ideas?
@sorka @wjgjr @jjrandorin

Last edited:
A friend was quoted $27,000 for 3PWS in August. She is awaiting site inspection of her current
non - Tesla solar system. She asked me what I paid but I bought both at the same time. Is $27,000 the current quote from your research? If it is lower, can she request a reduction? I seem to remember that option was given with the change in panels from the 315 to the 350 model.
She also said the 27,000 was slightly lower than a local installer price. I wonder if the non Tesla installer would be faster and worth the extra money or slower due to availability of PWs and high demand now with PSPS and many wildfires here in North SF Bay.. Tesla has not given her an installation date other than a vague this late year date possible. Any ideas?
@sorka @wjgjr @jjrandorin
https://www.tesla.com/powerwall/design

That should let you see the current price - entering an address in my area, it is $7k per PW (except I think a bug where PW number 8 is less, but it is back to $7k each for 9/10.) The install costs are as I mentioned above - $3.5k for 3 PW, so total would be $24.5k (excluding any taxes.) Potentially less than the $27k mentioned, depending on taxes and any special charges that might have been identified for that job.

In general, it seems like Tesla has been more than willing to re-price existing orders at the current pricing.