Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall install delayed from April to June :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla guys came earlier this week to scout out my install. It all looked great. Then I got a call today, a day before they were to start work, saying that they had to delay until June. I'm not a happy camper. Also they wanted to do the trenching now, seven weeks before the new install date. Uh, what?

The Tesla guys came earlier this week to scout out my install. It all looked great. Then I got a call today, a day before they were to start work, saying that they had to delay until June. I'm not a happy camper. Also they wanted to do the trenching now, seven weeks before the new install date. Uh, what?
Trenching now is probably to avoid all the orders-work piling up in the same month when PW inventory shows up. They probably got idle time right now so might as well get their people to do something meantime.

Interestingly, the trenching is not for power. It's for the sensors to read the solar panel production. Apparently Enphase and Tesla don't speak to each other.

I don't think the gateway talks to any inverter directly. Instead it measures current through the appropriate wires to determine house load and solar production. If you look through this forum you'll see references to the Neurio used for measurement and the placement of the CTs (current transformers) needed to correctly measure all the currents. You must have an interesting layout that doesn't have any connection from the solar inverter to the panel that'll be close to your gateway.

The advantage of doing it this way is that it's a lot easier for Tesla to support different inverters. The power measurement is needed anyway to measure house load, so adding a couple of CTs to measure solar production is not a big deal.

Reactions: abasile
I don't think the gateway talks to any inverter directly. Instead it measures current through the appropriate wires to determine house load and solar production. If you look through this forum you'll see references to the Neurio used for measurement and the placement of the CTs (current transformers) needed to correctly measure all the currents. You must have an interesting layout that doesn't have any connection from the solar inverter to the panel that'll be close to your gateway.

The advantage of doing it this way is that it's a lot easier for Tesla to support different inverters. The power measurement is needed anyway to measure house load, so adding a couple of CTs to measure solar production is not a big deal.

It is an interesting setup. Solar is on the main house. The Powerwalls and gateway will be with the main panel, on the well house. They'll run ethernet alongside the solar sensing lines. No cell signal out here.

They dug the trench and laid conduit yesterday. Oddly they couldn't get a trencher so it took four guys half a day to get the job done. Nice people. Two weeks wait for the actual install, though, and the trench is open until there's an inspection Tuesday, hopefully.

When did you originally order/reserve the PWs?

So, six months to now eight. And that’s what new orders are being told, more or less, FYI.

I assume the 6-8 I’m told is from reservation to actual installation. Who knows, really!
FWIW, I'm getting four powerwalls, not just one or two. That may have delayed things. Also, supposedly production is up but walls are still going to PR and other needy places. Then there's the mad rush to get the M3's out. I think waits are going to be unpredictable. I'm still really excited about the concept of NO POWER OUTAGES! Oh... yaaaassss...

FWIW, I'm getting four powerwalls, not just one or two. That may have delayed things. Also, supposedly production is up but walls are still going to PR and other needy places. Then there's the mad rush to get the M3's out. I think waits are going to be unpredictable. I'm still really excited about the concept of NO POWER OUTAGES! Oh... yaaaassss...
So, perhaps we can clarify something. I thought the batteries for PWs and cars were different enough that the production didn't impact each other. Not so? Or are they all the same 2170s and so those of us waiting for PWs are SOL. :D

So, six months to now eight. And that’s what new orders are being told, more or less, FYI.

I assume the 6-8 I’m told is from reservation to actual installation. Who knows, really!

Who knows is right. I've been waiting over a year since my deposit and don't have a date yet. It was 18Q1, then Q2, now a promise of an update in Q3, but at this point, I'm thinking it won't happen again this year. I may have to start looking at alternatives. Sigh...

So, perhaps we can clarify something. I thought the batteries for PWs and cars were different enough that the production didn't impact each other. Not so? Or are they all the same 2170s and so those of us waiting for PWs are SOL. :D

I do not know. I'm sure there are multiple choke points in production.

Who knows is right. I've been waiting over a year since my deposit and don't have a date yet. It was 18Q1, then Q2, now a promise of an update in Q3, but at this point, I'm thinking it won't happen again this year. I may have to start looking at alternatives. Sigh...

In the Bay Area, there are multiple teams of Tesla employees doing installs. I doubt that's the case in WV.

In the Bay Area, there are multiple teams of Tesla employees doing installs. I doubt that's the case in WV.

True enough, but I am 90 minutes from DC and 20 minutes from VA, PA, or MD. Tesla/SolarCity does not operate in WV, but there is a WV installer 30 minutes away that can do the install, Tesla has already approved this installer (per Tesla Energy), and this installer is currently installing LGChem units. So, it's not like there isn't local manpower in WV and surrounding states ready and able to do the work, the problem is getting the product allocated.

And, my solar array is really lonely without a battery... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: boaterva
Similar situation in Nevada - they are doing the permitting and preliminary install work but won't commit on a date for Powerwall delivery. I suspect there is a large utility storage project in the works, and (if it happens) it may consume a large portion of the battery supply for storage products. Still I'm happy they are getting all the work done when the weather is nice!

Similar situation in Nevada - they are doing the permitting and preliminary install work but won't commit on a date for Powerwall delivery. I suspect there is a large utility storage project in the works, and (if it happens) it may consume a large portion of the battery supply for storage products. Still I'm happy they are getting all the work done when the weather is nice!

I do have an install date, thankfully.

I just touched base with my independent installer in Orange, CA to see how they're dealing with the battery inventory shortage issue with Tesla.

Same issue of no PW2 inventory even for external parties that ordered/reserved early in 2018.