Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Internet Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've posed this question to Tesla support and have not received a definitive response. Is the gateway capable of connecting to a hidden network (SSID not broadcast)? If not, is cellular connectivity enough to qualify for the 10-year warranty? Will firmware updates be downloaded through a cellular connection?

Lastly, is the Powerwall supposed to show up on my Tesla account at Tesla.com? Thanks!

I might have missed it (or maybe it appeared in later versions), but I couldn't find any option to type in a network name. So I took my network off hidden in order to select it from the Gateway's UI, and never tried setting it back to hidden to see if the Gateway would still join. A lot of people say you don't really buy any security by having the SSID hidden, it can still be picked up by sniffers just as easily, so I didn't really see any urgency to switching back. Can't answer to the warranty or updates.

If your system has been provisioned then it should appear in the app. Mine didn't, the installer called me saying he'd finished the provisioning and that I should see it in the app, when I didn't he said to call tech support, and they had it straightened out within a few minutes (but they did need the Gateway serial number, thankfully I had a photo of it on my phone so I was able to read it to them from work).

I might have missed it (or maybe it appeared in later versions), but I couldn't find any option to type in a network name. So I took my network off hidden in order to select it from the Gateway's UI, and never tried setting it back to hidden to see if the Gateway would still join. A lot of people say you don't really buy any security by having the SSID hidden, it can still be picked up by sniffers just as easily, so I didn't really see any urgency to switching back. Can't answer to the warranty or updates.

If your system has been provisioned then it should appear in the app. Mine didn't, the installer called me saying he'd finished the provisioning and that I should see it in the app, when I didn't he said to call tech support, and they had it straightened out within a few minutes (but they did need the Gateway serial number, thankfully I had a photo of it on my phone so I was able to read it to them from work).

Thanks for the input. The Powerwall shows up in the app. I was wondering if it should show up in my account online. Thanks.