Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

powerwall is awesome - installers not so much

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s interesting to note that I’m very in tune with this house’s particular usage - for example when it’s idle and we’re not there I know for a fact (with over 600 days of data) the house uses between 5.8 to 6.2 kWh when it’s idle for 24 hours - ever since installing the gateway I’m now using 7 to 7.4 kWh when the house is empty and idle....

Or about 1 kWh /day just to run the two powerwalls+gateway - or 365 kWh/year - that’s about 10 days production of my solar system.
Yes, my pair of Powerwalls also take in about 1kWh/day more than they put out. This figure is straight out of the Tesla app on sequential days where it is hitting the same Reserve level every day. Since they are charged from solar, my thinking is that the equivalent cost is $0.20/day in Winter and $0.26/day in Summer, the cost of my Part-Peak electricity per kWh.

One issue I have had is that when grid power is out, the Powerwalls output at a frequency of 60.5 Hz which is above the threshold set in my inverters causing the solar to shut down and not able to charge the batteries while the grid power is out. The threshold in my inverters is settable to a point and I am looking at upping the threshold to fix the issue.
As I've posted in other threads, I've also had issues with the frequency being high during power outages. After some back-and-forth with the Powerwall Support team, I have a Tesla site visit scheduled next month. The goal is to get our Powerwalls to charge from solar when the grid is down. Hopefully, enough snow and ice will have melted off our panels by then, as we've had virtually zero solar production during February (with another snowstorm coming this afternoon).

Following as I'm having the same issues. I have two 200 amp service panels. One panel is backed up by my 2 Powerwalls and the other isn't. Whenever anything on the non-backed up panel is drawing power my app shows that usage as power being exported to the grid. Right now it's only a wall oven and an electric dryer but I'm planning on purchasing an EV as soon as the Rivian truck comes out at the end of next year.

My Nerio in my gateway has 6 CTs. Two for solar, Two on the main line in my gateway (this is where the backed up panel connects to the gateway) and the last two are on the feed lines in the panel that isn't backed up. I've got a trouble ticket in with Tesla support and they acknowledge seeing the strange flows but so far no solution..]

I finally figured out what my problem was. No thanks to Tesla support. On the 200 amp panel that is not backed up by the Powerwalls I swapped the CTs. It seems that the CT on the hot side needed to be swapped with the one on the neutral side. Once I did that everything seems to be working properly now.

Reactions: PBBear