Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall just flashing green

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll be honest, I’m Not a huge fan of Tesla and get triggered when this thing doesn’t work, like is happening now.

The Tesla solar roof and powerwall came with the house, and for the most part it was just doing its thing on its own. And then a couple weeks back, it all just stopped working. Nothing showed up on the app. I was on the phone with Tesla support and they were pretty helpful and helped me get my panels back online, but the powerwall is still flashing green. I followed the instructions online to cut power to the whole house and bring it all back again (waiting 5 min+, etc). Really annoying that I had to lose power to get my battery backup to work…. Annnyway, it still didn’t bring my powerwall online I guess as its still flashing. I used the app to request support early last week - and STILL no response from Tesla. So my questions to you guys are:

1) Is this normal for Tesla support to take this long to get back to customers?
2) Is there some trick to get this Powerwall to come back online in the meantime? As I mentioned - I tried the reset instructions on their website with no luck, so its just a big blinky chunk on the wall and the app shows me zero information about it.

Was hoping to get this back online before WW3 breaks out and we could live off our solar a bit longer lol

seriously, though - thanks for reading and any help you could provide.
-terry

I posted my thoughts on requesting service in the app vs calling in another thread. Rather than typing it out, I will just quote it:

Some people have that and some dont for some reason. In any case, you would not have wanted to request that frequency change in the app anyway, since it appears to me that app requests go into a bucket somewhere for someone to create proper support requests out of them "when they get time".

An example of this is, I requested in the app to get a copy of the PDF of my install documents. It took someone at tesla almost 2 months to send it to me, and when they did, they just said "sorry for the delay".

Anything put in the app is going to be put on the back burner, so I wouldnt suggest it. Note that I dont know this for a fact, I just know how IT support organizations work since I perform that function myself. "Web tickets" usually get processed by a few people to get them routed to the correct area.

If an organization has an interface for chat tickets, thats almost always better than a "web ticket" as far as turn around time, but the issue there is you will almost never have that chat agents undivided attention. They are probably working on multiple chat contacts at once, so will not be devoting "full attention" to anyone.

Phone support always means that you have that persons attention, and they are at best finishing up the notes etc for their last call, while talking to you, or just talking to you.

TL ; DR - Web is more convenient but will almost always be slower to get something resolved, sometimes significantly so. Chat next (as far as slower speed), and calling makes someone enter a ticket while you are talking to them (in almost all cases) so you get a head start on ticket routing.

So, yeah I recommend calling in for service rather than doing it in the app, for tesla energy.

As for the powerwall, "flashing green" is a normal state of operation for the powerwall (pulsing green). Perhaps more information about what is not working, etc would be helpful for us to see if we can help you.

Thanks for the help. I will try calling them tomorrow again and see if I can get further. I wasn’t aware that blinking green was the normal state. I cannot connect to wifi (doesn’t show the TEG network).

I used a long stick and pressed the reset button and that didn’t do anything. I also just once more did the whole system shutdown, and killed power to the house for > 5 minutes and then brought everything back up. Still no luck. :(

Thanks again.
-terry

Thanks for the help. I will try calling them tomorrow again and see if I can get further. I wasn’t aware that blinking green was the normal state. I cannot connect to wifi (doesn’t show the TEG network).

I used a long stick and pressed the reset button and that didn’t do anything. I also just once more did the whole system shutdown, and killed power to the house for > 5 minutes and then brought everything back up. Still no luck. :(

Thanks again.
-terry

it depends on how its blinking.

When you "kill the power to the house for 5 minutes", are you shutting the stuff down in order, and bringing it back up in order? Since you say your solar (PV) was working, try just fully powercycling the powerwall and reseting the gateway

1. Toggle powerwall switch on side of powerwall(s) to off position
2. Toggle breakers that control powerwall to off position
3. Push reset button on gateway (depends on which one you have where that is)
4. Toggle breakers that control powerwall back to the on position
5. toggle powerwall switch on side of powerwall(s) to on position

Also, what exactly "is not working" related to your powerwall?

Thanks for the help.

I indeed followed the directions from that Troubleshooting Your Powerwall link that you posted. I did this all in the listed order. I *think* my solar part of things may be working, as the little black box connected via ethernet to my internet router isn’t giving an error ?? But I really can’t be sure…

I suppose even the Powerwall could be working without my knowing (and I’d be fine with that)… but I cannot see the TEG network on my phone and when I launch the app now, all the UI is greyed out with “No recent data available” which I’m sure is related to the TEG network not being broadcast anymore.

And this all happened out of the blue in the middle of the day one day with no other warning to me. So maybe Tesla would have emailed me or texted me if it wasn’t working from their end?? They have contacted me when that black box (sorry I don’t know the name) wasn’t plugged in via ethernet….

Well...

The little black box gateway is not "required" to get data from the system, if you have a powerwall.

You could have a failure in the TEG itself. This sort of reminds me of a situation from one of the regular posters in this subforum, @bob_p , in this thread:

Thanks for the help.

I indeed followed the directions from that Troubleshooting Your Powerwall link that you posted. I did this all in the listed order. I *think* my solar part of things may be working, as the little black box connected via ethernet to my internet router isn’t giving an error ?? But I really can’t be sure…

I suppose even the Powerwall could be working without my knowing (and I’d be fine with that)… but I cannot see the TEG network on my phone and when I launch the app now, all the UI is greyed out with “No recent data available” which I’m sure is related to the TEG network not being broadcast anymore.

And this all happened out of the blue in the middle of the day one day with no other warning to me. So maybe Tesla would have emailed me or texted me if it wasn’t working from their end?? They have contacted me when that black box (sorry I don’t know the name) wasn’t plugged in via ethernet….
I don't think Tesla monitors install that closely. Everytime I have had an issue I had to contact them. Usually took from 1-3 weeks for them to get back to me.

Btw, my powerwall is flashing, not pulsing, so no communication with the gateway :(
I had a not-dissimilar issue a while back. Turned out the wiring going into the gateway from the powerwalls was all shot to hell. We tried all sorts of remote fixes and troubleshooting before I had to be a little more aggressive about having them come out to take a look on site.