Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Location Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread has me wondering if I should spend the extra money and install in my garage, probable would cost around $1000 to run the conduit thru the attic to the main panel.

Interestingly, my installer charges a flat fee for Powerwalls ($12,500 for the first one), didn't even come out to look at my house before installing. My install turned out pretty easy, but guess it balances out with the hard installs in the long run. Nonetheless, it took three guys, two full days so far, and they're coming back for another half day or so.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Photographic data point;

PW1.jpeg

PW2.jpeg

Existing vintage 2013 SolarCity (now Tesla) 16kW PV with 4 inverters--new PWs and associated hardware.

Oh, and don't assume an easy install. With the current 'fast track' streamlined planning, there is no preliminary site visit. They got a lot of photos from me. They had my original plans, calcs & permits from SolarCity. But I have a complicated electrical system with 400A service and my meter and main disconnect 50 feet away from the garage, attached to a detached office. PWs only backing up the 2 subpanels (out of a total of 4) you see here. My first install team arrived (one local electrician, 1 from Reno), took more than an hour to figure out the 'as built' conditions, and realized that there was no way that they could finish the job. 2nd team (new crew) came a few days later (1 local, 1 from Vermont), and, again, a 1 hour orientation. Full day of work--still not done. Same team came back a few days later--system basically complete but some issues with the Neurio on the meter that is supposed to monitor full house load (is not communicating with the Gateway). So 3 days...not so easy. YMMV.

pw2-jpeg.514424

I would had preferred raising a little bi the Powerwall from the floor, to allow easy cleaning of the floor or future painting.

May be I would but some piece of wood around the base to act as a bumper to avoid any damage when cleaning the floor.

FWIW I usually just vacuum the floor and use a crevice tool at the bottom of the Powerwalls. Today I wet mopped the floor. No damage--all good. BTW the concrete floor is coated with this:

Polycuramine® Garage Floor Coating Kit

The prep is a bit of a PITA (clean and acid etch concrete, allow to dry, test residual moisture content). The 2-part mix cooks off very fast and is really hard. Hot car tires don't faze it a bit. It is slippery when wet--but I don't like the look of the granules you can sprinkle on.

FWIW I usually just vacuum the floor and use a crevice tool at the bottom of the Powerwalls. Today I wet mopped the floor. No damage--all good. BTW the concrete floor is coated with this:

Polycuramine® Garage Floor Coating Kit

The prep is a bit of a PITA (clean and acid etch concrete, allow to dry, test residual moisture content). The 2-part mix cooks off very fast and is really hard. Hot car tires don't faze it a bit. It is slippery when wet--but I don't like the look of the granules you can sprinkle on.

Husband did the Rustoleum EpoxyShield coating on ours with the decorative chips a number of years ago. Lots of prep work before rolling out and agree about the PITA part but doing a floor coating does make the garage floor look nice and easy to clean. He then added their top coat treatment, clear, that incorporated something like sand granules (their "Anti-Skid Additive") in it to give it a bit of surface tension for when the floor is wet. Stays nice and shiny but safer underfoot. Can't say I really notice those granules. We weren't sure about adding the chips to our epoxy coating but in the end did. That Rustoleum Polycuramine product wasn't out when we did our garage. Have to say that our garage floor still looks great. Doing the proper deep cleaning is really the key to having it last and not flake or peel.

BTW if anyone is motivated to epoxy your garage floor and want to add the chips to it, casting them can leave an uneven look to them. I took a paper cut and punched some holes in the bottom of it for the chips to pass through and we used it like a salt & pepper shaker to create a much more even application.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Is there an allowance to have the powerwalls not right next to the meter? Our meter is in a bedroom in the basement and I have been trying to get Tesla to look at installing the powerwalls in our utility room about 30-40 feet from the meter instead. Over the last three months, the only responses have been that the install team will look at it when they show.

Is there an allowance to have the powerwalls not right next to the meter? Our meter is in a bedroom in the basement and I have been trying to get Tesla to look at installing the powerwalls in our utility room about 30-40 feet from the meter instead. Over the last three months, the only responses have been that the install team will look at it when they show.

I answered this question for you the last time you asked it here...

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

In most climates, indoors is somewhat superior. The main downside to the exterior is that you will spend more energy keeping them warm so they can effectively charge and discharge. If you have a lot of PV this isn't an issue as much or at all. If your PV is undersized it can be a very big deal especially in a winter outage when your PV resource is low. Waiting an hour in the morning to warm up the Powerwalls before they can operate might be 20% of your solar day.

For $1-1,500 its worth having them inside IMO

Does anyone know if Tesla will install the Powerwalls and inverters on the opposite side of the garage that the electrical panel is on? My main electrical panel is on the left side of the garage, but I would like the Powerwalls and inverters to be on the right side, as there is more room on that side, with virtually nothing on the opposite wall.
Wall with Elecrtical Panel.jpg Opposite Side of garage.jpg .

Does anyone know if Tesla will install the Powerwalls and inverters on the opposite side of the garage that the electrical panel is on? My main electrical panel is on the left side of the garage, but I would like the Powerwalls and inverters to be on the right side, as there is more room on that side, with virtually nothing on the opposite wall.
View attachment 586407 View attachment 586408 .

You will want to let them know thats where you want it before hand (that wall). They will already have a wall designated in your plan somewhere (if you are at that stage). You also likely need to be ok with surface run conduit., and also might need at least one extra box on the side with the panel currently.

Reactions: jedmo
Thank you for the quick response jjrandorin. I am OK with a surface run of conduit, might bring some flare to my boring garage. I got my initial design today, it just shows the layout of the solar panels, and mentions the powerwalls and additional equipment will be installed near your power meter. On installation date the Tesla crew will discuss exact location based on preference and feasibility.

Thank you for the quick response jjrandorin. I am OK with a surface run of conduit, might bring some flare to my boring garage. I got my initial design today, it just shows the layout of the solar panels, and mentions the powerwalls and additional equipment will be installed near your power meter. On installation date the Tesla crew will discuss exact location based on preference and feasibility.

I would recommend speaking with your energy advisor (email, etc) and letting them know what you want, somewhere on that wall in the garage, and send them the two pictures inside the garage if they were not part of the survey pics you sent in.

"Exact" location would be "where on this wall", but since you want it on the opposite garage wall I would just make sure its in your file somewhere that you asked for that. I am not an expert, but I believe it would be fairly simple for them to surface run conduit to the other side of the garage. What I dont know is, which devices, if any, will still need to be on the wall with the panel.

• Informative
Reactions: jedmo
I would recommend speaking with your energy advisor (email, etc) and letting them know what you want, somewhere on that wall in the garage, and send them the two pictures inside the garage if they were not part of the survey pics you sent in.

"Exact" location would be "where on this wall", but since you want it on the opposite garage wall I would just make sure its in your file somewhere that you asked for that. I am not an expert, but I believe it would be fairly simple for them to surface run conduit to the other side of the garage. What I dont know is, which devices, if any, will still need to be on the wall with the panel.

Thank you again for the advice. I will speak with my energy advisor.

View attachment 586407 View attachment 586408 .

Yes, they will. Mine are on the opposite side of a 3-car garage.