Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall needed [Medical condition]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems Tesla has moved past the "resiliency backup" incentive projects (since those programs have run out of money). They don't seem to do residential installs for fire threatened homes in California any more. I think they'll still do some larger "equity" projects for underserved municipal projects in low-income neighborhoods though.

As Laketime mentioned, your best bet is to work with a 3rd party installer. At that point you're no longer restricted to Tesla Powerwalls. LG Chem and Enphase have AC coupled solutions that can pair with your solar + inverter to provide a partial or whole home backup.

How can I get a Powerwall?
I have Solar City Solar panels and no more room for additional Solar
I need emergency back up power
How can I get a powerwall to help?
I can only configure with solar panels on website
thanks

A few things here...

1. (1) powerwall does not provide very much backup, in most cases. Certainly not enough if one is talking about needing power because of a medical condition.

2. If you are trying to get one "for free" under the equity and resiliency program, that program is pretty much out of money. You can try 3rd party installers to see if anyone can get one for you, but that ship has pretty much sailed, unless more funding is given.

Even if you could get "one or more" powerwalls under this program (if funding is restored) you are likely looking at an install time measured in "many months". If there is an actual need because of needing guaranteed power due to medical equipment, etc, "many months" would not appear to be a reasonable time frame (and that is assuming best case scenario of funding being restored to the program, which I doubt).

Given both of those above, for backup power, you likely want to be looking at a generator, or perhaps a generator while you either work with a third party installer to get one or more powerwalls on your cost, or waiting for funding if you are looking to get one under that SGIP program which is basically out of money.

A few things here...

1. (1) powerwall does not provide very much backup, in most cases. Certainly not enough if one is talking about needing power because of a medical condition.

2. If you are trying to get one "for free" under the equity and resiliency program, that program is pretty much out of money. You can try 3rd party installers to see if anyone can get one for you, but that ship has pretty much sailed, unless more funding is given.

Even if you could get "one or more" powerwalls under this program (if funding is restored) you are likely looking at an install time measured in "many months". If there is an actual need because of needing guaranteed power due to medical equipment, etc, "many months" would not appear to be a reasonable time frame (and that is assuming best case scenario of funding being restored to the program, which I doubt).

Given both of those above, for backup power, you likely want to be looking at a generator, or perhaps a generator while you either work with a third party installer to get one or more powerwalls on your cost, or waiting for funding if you are looking to get one under that SGIP program which is basically out of money.
For the medical need I have at my house, IMO, my generator provides me much better long term options than batteries. If we get into a long rainy spell, at least with my generator I know I can run it whenever I need it. We solar and batteries, I am not in the same level of control