Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall not charging and discharging properly after additional solar panels installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So two years ago, we had solar panels and a Powerwall installed and everything worked great. Then, this year, we decided to add more panels to our array but using a different company than the first (the first company was a huge headache to work with). However, this new company apparantly has little experience with the Powerwall because ever since, our Powerwall app has been showing bizarre activity. There are random spikes during the day from the battery (when the house should be powered exclusively by the panels), the Powerwall is charged at night from the grid instead of during the day through the panels (a big no-no according to our utility company), and it doesn't show the new panels producing power, only the old panels. Well, the solar company came back out and replaced the CTs, saying they were the problem. Now we don't have the spikes and the Powerwall is being charged during the day, but the app is showing only half the solar production of our old panels and still no new panel production, and the app shows us sending solar power to the grid at night. The solar company is saying that none of this is their fault and don't know how to fix it. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem here? Does Tesla have techs that would know how to fix this problem?

It sounds like CT placement to me. This type of thing is kind of why solar companies normally say stuff like "we dont want to touch previous work" (because they dont want to figure out how to get it all to report properly etc).

I have no idea if tesla has someone who can troubleshoot this, but if they are not the installer, I am not sure how far you can get with that.

The CTs are still wrong. It's OK to have multiple wires going through a CT as long as they're the same phase. I have two 20A solar circuits and so my solar CTs have two black wires going through one CT and two red wires going through the other. However, if the circuits don't pass through the same area it may be challenging to get them both to go through the same CTs.

Reactions: BGbreeder
The CTs are still wrong. It's OK to have multiple wires going through a CT as long as they're the same phase. I have two 20A solar circuits and so my solar CTs have two black wires going through one CT and two red wires going through the other. However, if the circuits don't pass through the same area it may be challenging to get them both to go through the same CTs.

Provided that the combined set doesn't exceed CT maximum current.

Thank you all for the input! We haven't given the solar company their final payment, so we're hoping that is an incentive for them to keep working on it. We called Tesla service, and they looked at our system on their end and said they would email the solar company to explain what was wrong. Here's hoping they finally get it sorted!