Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall not discharging unless in "off grid" mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get home today, Powerwall is at 100% and I've got clear blue skies. Start charging the car, making dinner etc. I noticed I had 85% on the powerwall and thought it should be a lot lower. Well it should because I was on the grid the powerwall just stopped supplying power to the house. Went into the app, double checked settings and everything is normal. I did a reset of the entire system. It came back online and it's still pulling from the grid. I set the app before the reset and after to "off grid" mode and it worked without issue and started pulling from the powerwall again. So the powerwall works it seems as if the inverter for some unknown reason just isn't wanting to power the house?

Edit: I can't connect to the powerwall's wifi and it's no longer connected to my home wifi. The connection drops the second I try and connect. I'm currently running in off grid mode. I'm starting to think I have something wrong with the inverter. I've rebooted everything again including the wifi and still nothing. It's dark out now so no more troubleshooting outside until it's light out.

Anyone have any idea why it'd suddenly decide to just not use the powerwall anymore? I've got an appointment setup for Wednesday with Tesla for an entirely different issue. It keeps pulling from the grid if the powerwall isn't at 100%. and the sun is up It's small amounts but constantly pulling power.

Last edited:
I get home today, Powerwall is at 100% and I've got clear blue skies. Start charging the car, making dinner etc. I noticed I had 85% on the powerwall and thought it should be a lot lower. Well it should because I was on the grid the powerwall just stopped supplying power to the house. Went into the app, double checked settings and everything is normal. I did a reset of the entire system. It came back online and it's still pulling from the grid. I set the app before the reset and after to "off grid" mode and it worked without issue and started pulling from the powerwall again. So the powerwall works it seems as if the inverter for some unknown reason just isn't wanting to power the house?

Edit: I can't connect to the powerwall's wifi and it's no longer connected to my home wifi. The connection drops the second I try and connect. I'm currently running in off grid mode. I'm starting to think I have something wrong with the inverter. I've rebooted everything again including the wifi and still nothing. It's dark out now so no more troubleshooting outside until it's light out.

Anyone have any idea why it'd suddenly decide to just not use the powerwall anymore? I've got an appointment setup for Wednesday with Tesla for an entirely different issue. It keeps pulling from the grid if the powerwall isn't at 100%. and the sun is up It's small amounts but constantly pulling power.

It may be related to your other issue (in your other thread in this subforum) that you mentioned, or it could be because of a Time of Use mode. Switch from TOU to self powered (which is what @Eric99 was asking, with fewer words than I typed just now, lol)

Reactions: George75 and h2ofun
Have you tried “selfpowered” mode?
It's set to self powered. To be honest I've toggled every option on and off hoping something might trip out back to normal.

Now that the sun is up I've set it to use grid power again. I was expecting it not to use anything but the grid. It's using solar and exporting everything else to the grid and not charging the battery. Set it back to off grid and it's working normally for off grid mode.

I can't contact Tesla, I can't update my ticket. I'm struck like this until Monday and maybe then I can get a live person to update my ticket so the tech they are sending out are aware this problem got worse or they have another issue. This is assuming they don't charge me appointment again

It may be related to your other issue (in your other thread in this subforum) that you mentioned, or it could be because of a Time of Use mode. Switch from TOU to self powered (which is what @Eric99 was asking, with fewer words than I typed just now, lol)
I think your right it is very much related. I just set export to grid to no since it's sending nothing to the battery and it ignored that still exporting everything to the grid. I applied a load greater than what the solar is producing and it pulled the additional power from the grid not the battery. Set it back to off grid and it's charging the battery and powering the home again.

It's like the gateway has lost it's mind. I'm going to trying connecting manually with a patch cable to it. I need confirm everything I'm seeing in the app is accurate.

I can't get the gateway to go offline in my Powerwall+. I turned off main power, flipped all the breakers, turned off the powewall and it's (gateway) is still running. I left it for 5 minutes and it's still running. I don't understand where or how it's still drawing power everything is off. Unless it has it own backup battery or capacitor? Maybe it's become self aware and is now looking for John Connor lol. I hit the emergency shut off button too and it's still running. Looking under the cover it's still lit up and functioning. I can at least connect to it now (after a password reset) via wifi and it confirms everything I'm seeing in the app. Now what's strange (but I'll take it) it appears to be operating normally, it's charging the powerwall as it should while being on grid, it's pulling from the powerwall as it should it's even exporting as it should.

Hopefully Tesla has some answers when they get here next week. I'm hoping the reason for the site visit is to replace the gateway before it takes liquid metal form. I'll post back whatever I find in the hopes it helps (like many others have) resolve an issue months or years later for someone else experiencing the same issue.