Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall or something else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have an MX and M3 in our stable so I automatically thought Tesla Energy would be the place to buy my Solar and Battery. I already received some quotes from Solar Installation companies and when I checked the prices at Tesla Energy I was pleasantly surprised that Tesla prices were significantly lower. So, I ordered my panels and battery from Tesla.
First, I was rejected for Solar panel installation for not enough efficiency due to shading. I told them considering the price difference I was happy to sign a waiver on the production levels. My offer was rejected. So I created another order for powerwalls only and got 17 panels installed by a solar installer (from order to operation it was 3 weeks) I paid about 30% more than what it would be with Tesla.
I always thought one day Powerwall and my Tesla car batteries would be able talk to each other and I will have an extended powerwall in our cars. I have been insisting on getting powerwalls. After my solar installation I have been sending updated main panel pictures and the combiner picture etc, but no action on Tesla side.

My questions;
- Am I smoking something when I dream of integrated powerwall and car battery concept?
- Are there any other battery solutions out there that I can switch to? like LG Chem, Enphase AC battery, Generac etc.

Maybe as a stock holder and Tesla Car enthusiast, I am chasing the wrong product.

Thanks

I found this for Enphase. It actually may address generator problem.

upload_2020-11-19_14-9-30.png

There's a lot of speculation about where the industry is going but the concepts of V2H and V2G don't seem to be ones that Tesla is terribly vested in. There are some threads in this forum that touch on the topic. V2grid (Vehicle to Grid) and Tesla but also Powerwall 2.0 Backup Runtime Extender (which is an interesting non-Tesla implementation).

The Powerwall system does support generators. Here is Tesla's page, and there are threads here (Using a Generator along with PV + PW with Grid)

Powerwall is installed between the utility meter and the transfer switch and can charge from solar while the grid is operational. However, the Powerwall and generator are not directly integrated which means Powerwall does not charge from the generator.

Reactions: shs1
SolarEdge inverters/gateways with LG Chem batteries is a descent alternative, with some +/- to each vendor. We ended up with this supplier as Powerwalls were (are) long lead time delivery items. Secondary aspect is SE/LG is all DC from panels to batteries then invert once to AC, so there is efficiency gains. Also (important for some) the SE gateway can integrate a generator in addition.

Choices are good! Choose wisely.

You cannot pull power from your car to power your home or charge your Powerwalls. You can charge your car with electricity from the grid or the Powerwalls.

Powerwalls installed with solar can only be charged from solar, except when Storm Watch is active. If Storm Watch is activated your Powerwalls can charge from the grid. Storm Watch is activated based on a prediction of conditions likely to cause grid outages. Such as red flag warnings, PSPS, hurricanes, etc.

Last edited:
We have an MX and M3 in our stable so I automatically thought Tesla Energy would be the place to buy my Solar and Battery. I already received some quotes from Solar Installation companies and when I checked the prices at Tesla Energy I was pleasantly surprised that Tesla prices were significantly lower. So, I ordered my panels and battery from Tesla.
First, I was rejected for Solar panel installation for not enough efficiency due to shading. I told them considering the price difference I was happy to sign a waiver on the production levels. My offer was rejected. So I created another order for powerwalls only and got 17 panels installed by a solar installer (from order to operation it was 3 weeks) I paid about 30% more than what it would be with Tesla.
I always thought one day Powerwall and my Tesla car batteries would be able talk to each other and I will have an extended powerwall in our cars. I have been insisting on getting powerwalls. After my solar installation I have been sending updated main panel pictures and the combiner picture etc, but no action on Tesla side.

My questions;
- Am I smoking something when I dream of integrated powerwall and car battery concept?
- Are there any other battery solutions out there that I can switch to? like LG Chem, Enphase AC battery, Generac etc.

Maybe as a stock holder and Tesla Car enthusiast, I am chasing the wrong product.

Thanks

On your other question, dont expect anything V2H or V2G (vehicle to home or vehicle to grid) with your current car(s), and it does not seem tesla is very interested in that at all.

TL ; DR, dont expect your cars to be able to be used as large powerwalls anytime soon, at least not from tesla. I have not looked into any of the other battery systems, but maybe a few others have on here.

I think @BGbreeder mentioned looking into some of them and coming out with Tesla as their preferred solution (tagging here to see if thats the case).

We did. Without getting into the esoterics of battery chemistries, much of it came down to cost/kWh and estimates on MTBF. In my thinking, Tesla Powerwalls have the benefit of all of the cars that the battery packs have been built into, and have a demonstrated track record of a low MTBF. Sonnen and others may get there, and there are certainly arguments to be made for other chemistries besides Li-ion, but at the end of the day, most of us will have batteries on our houses longer than cars, weighting the downside risk.

A battery fire in a car is a loss. A battery fire in or on a house is a much larger loss, which to me weights the risk factor around MTBF.

Just my $0.02...

All the best,

BG