Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Outside Direct Sun Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered Solar in mid/late April from Tesla. 7.2kwh solar and one Powerwall. I received my design back from Tesla where they wanted to place the Powerwall outside on the east facing wall. That wall has zero shade in the summer and little shade in the winter. Looks like they just want to stick it next to the electric meter by the outside panel, ease of install I suppose?

I reached out to my contact at Tesla who assured me it's rated to be outside, it's fine nothing to worry about. I responded with we've had a heat index this past week for three or four days where it's been north of 110f and being in the direct sun is a major concern. I stated that area has irrigation that will push water vertically at the Powerwall, again it's mean to be outside and wet? I requested they move it to the west facing wall in the shade and away from irrigation or ideally put it inside the garage where there is plenty of room right beside my main breaker panel. He said he could request a design change but it will cost another $2,000 to put it elsewhere? I said ok leave it as it, if it has issues your warranty will have to cover it.

I'm at the permitting stage now, on the day of the install I intend to ask the installers to just put it on the giant reinforced concrete wall in the garage beside my main breaker panel. I don't think my contact at Tesla knows a thing about how extremely hot it gets here or and my gut feeling is he isn't an installer. Looking at the dimensions of the Powerwall and where they want to put it, it isn't going to fit without them moving my cable box, irrigation controls etc. Even then I don't know where they'd put the subpanel or anything else.

My question is anyone else in a hot humid part of the world have Tesla tell you direct sunlight on the Powerwall outside is fine even though you could cook an egg on the concrete outside. Maybe I'm wrong and worrying about nothing. Anyone have issues with Powerwall's when in direct sunlight light like that. The heat index not too far from here was recorded at 118f just a few days ago. I know in the summer here direct sunlight in enclosures can reach extreme levels well above the rated range listed in Powerwall's specs.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
I think that your concerns are valid. However, deviating from your permit may cause issues with your AHJ, and you run the risk that the installers may not have the conduits, concrete anchors, and fittings for what you are proposing on the installation day.

Others here have put up solar shields after the installation, and it probably wouldn't hurt to keep more of your irrigation water off of the Powerwall, where it is of no real benefit.

All the best,

BG

I think that your concerns are valid. However, deviating from your permit may cause issues with your AHJ, and you run the risk that the installers may not have the conduits, concrete anchors, and fittings for what you are proposing on the installation day.

Others here have put up solar shields after the installation, and it probably wouldn't hurt to keep more of your irrigation water off of the Powerwall, where it is of no real benefit.

All the best,

BG
I'm assuming safety if they have parts to put it on one wall those same parts would work on another wall. I'd hope any professional shows up with more than enough conduit for the job. Ideally I'd like it in the garage but I'd take the west wall over the east wall. There's zero chance I can remove the irrigation or turn it off, I'd have to modify it however dead plants mean HOA fines. Thanks for the advise, I'll look into a solar shield.

Reactions: X-pilot
I'm assuming safety if they have parts to put it on one wall those same parts would work on another wall. I'd hope any professional shows up with more than enough conduit for the job. Ideally I'd like it in the garage but I'd take the west wall over the east wall. There's zero chance I can remove the irrigation or turn it off, I'd have to modify it however dead plants mean HOA fines. Thanks for the advise, I'll look into a solar shield.
The PWs are environmentally sealed. Water won't hurt them.

I ordered Solar in mid/late April from Tesla. 7.2kwh solar and one Powerwall. I received my design back from Tesla where they wanted to place the Powerwall outside on the east facing wall. That wall has zero shade in the summer and little shade in the winter. Looks like they just want to stick it next to the electric meter by the outside panel, ease of install I suppose?

I reached out to my contact at Tesla who assured me it's rated to be outside, it's fine nothing to worry about. I responded with we've had a heat index this past week for three or four days where it's been north of 110f and being in the direct sun is a major concern. I stated that area has irrigation that will push water vertically at the Powerwall, again it's mean to be outside and wet? I requested they move it to the west facing wall in the shade and away from irrigation or ideally put it inside the garage where there is plenty of room right beside my main breaker panel. He said he could request a design change but it will cost another $2,000 to put it elsewhere? I said ok leave it as it, if it has issues your warranty will have to cover it.

I'm at the permitting stage now, on the day of the install I intend to ask the installers to just put it on the giant reinforced concrete wall in the garage beside my main breaker panel. I don't think my contact at Tesla knows a thing about how extremely hot it gets here or and my gut feeling is he isn't an installer. Looking at the dimensions of the Powerwall and where they want to put it, it isn't going to fit without them moving my cable box, irrigation controls etc. Even then I don't know where they'd put the subpanel or anything else.

My question is anyone else in a hot humid part of the world have Tesla tell you direct sunlight on the Powerwall outside is fine even though you could cook an egg on the concrete outside. Maybe I'm wrong and worrying about nothing. Anyone have issues with Powerwall's when in direct sunlight light like that. The heat index not too far from here was recorded at 118f just a few days ago. I know in the summer here direct sunlight in enclosures can reach extreme levels well above the rated range listed in Powerwall's specs.
Interior garage installations have significant other hurdles, besides just mounting on a different wall and bringing conduit.

There are fire issues to consider and the fire codes are getting more strict. You may need a heat detector installed in your garage. You also may need bollards or wheel stops installed if your battery could be struck by a vehicle. Depending on your local codes and existing construction, you may need to install sheetrock on the walls to finish them if they are unfinished.

This is not a reasonable request to ask the field team to try to get around the $2000 charge the design team told you was needed to take care of this. You instead will try to change the plans on install day? Do you also expect they core through said reinforced concrete wall without preparation?

Most irrigation sprinklers come in different spray patterns, you might try using something different which doesn't get water jets (mist is fine) spraying right inside the unit. As far as the installation location, the east side is better than the west side imo, and the inverter is unlikely to exceed its rated temperature of 122F before the noon shade hits it. If you start to see de-rating where the inverter cannot accept a 5 kW charge or cannot output 5 kW to serve loads, that is when I'd think on some shade cloth or another shade device.

The PWs are environmentally sealed. Water won't hurt them.
Maybe. The enclosures can still corrode, and since the materials exposed within the enclosure are different alloys, there is the probability of corrosion.

My point is why run the risk? I would adjust the irrigation to get the water to the plants that need it and not to things that don't need it like walls and Powerwalls. It is good for the environment, and probably doesn't hurt the wallet either as water isn't free for most folks.

Allthe best,

BG

Reactions: Jedi2155
Interior garage installations have significant other hurdles, besides just mounting on a different wall and bringing conduit.

There are fire issues to consider and the fire codes are getting more strict. You may need a heat detector installed in your garage. You also may need bollards or wheel stops installed if your battery could be struck by a vehicle. Depending on your local codes and existing construction, you may need to install sheetrock on the walls to finish them if they are unfinished.

This is not a reasonable request to ask the field team to try to get around the $2000 charge the design team told you was needed to take care of this. You instead will try to change the plans on install day? Do you also expect they core through said reinforced concrete wall without preparation?

Most irrigation sprinklers come in different spray patterns, you might try using something different which doesn't get water jets (mist is fine) spraying right inside the unit. As far as the installation location, the east side is better than the west side imo, and the inverter is unlikely to exceed its rated temperature of 122F before the noon shade hits it. If you start to see de-rating where the inverter cannot accept a 5 kW charge or cannot output 5 kW to serve loads, that is when I'd think on some shade cloth or another shade device.
It's very reasonable to request them to put it in the garage, it's unreasonable to pay them $2,000 when I've read a number of reports of people being told the exact same thing. Then on the day of the install it was like, no problem inside it goes no upcharge. I'm going to ask all they can say is no and that is perfectly acceptable. I just don't want the Powerwall running near the top or at the top of it's thermal limits all summer if it's avoidable. I suspect unless the inverter has significant cooling it could well hit it's limit at the peak of summer here in Florida. It's gets so brutally hot outside. Valid points of fire codes, I'll ask and see what Tesla say on the day. If it ends up on the east side and it has no problems I'm more than ok with that. I just don't want it to have issues or to shorten the life of the equipment if avoidable.

It's very reasonable to request them to put it in the garage, it's unreasonable to pay them $2,000 when I've read a number of reports of people being told the exact same thing. Then on the day of the install it was like, no problem inside it goes no upcharge. I'm going to ask all they can say is no and that is perfectly acceptable. I just don't want the Powerwall running near the top or at the top of it's thermal limits all summer if it's avoidable. I suspect unless the inverter has significant cooling it could well hit it's limit at the peak of summer here in Florida. It's gets so brutally hot outside. Valid points of fire codes, I'll ask and see what Tesla say on the day. If it ends up on the east side and it has no problems I'm more than ok with that. I just don't want it to have issues or to shorten the life of the equipment if avoidable.
The reason why folks in the past had them moved easily is the codes had not caught up yet. Trying to move one inside today is different than in the past. In fact several of our jurisdictions are now requiring a separate fire department plan review and approval for any ESS inside.

By comparison those same AHJ can approve the plans without fire oversight if the ESS are located outside and 36" from each other and doors and windows leading into the dwelling.

Reactions: BGbreeder
west facing wall in so cal - inland empire - initial design was outside but I think that's crazy in the heat (currently 110F outside during heat wave!) - will be going inside garage - 15 feet of wall space for 4 powerwalls doesnt sound like its going to be enough and from what I'm reading they don't allow stacking of PW in california? I think I'm going to have to clear some more garage cabinets