Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall removed from Tesla solar configurator !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
So i've been eyeing a Tesla solar system for a few months, especially after my tax bill for 2019 and increasing electric usage with the additional EV and a future HVAC and tankless water heater upgrades.

I just went to the Tesla solar configurator to see if rental / purchase rates had moved, as they had the last time I checked.

To my surprise the PowerWall is no longer listed anywhere in the estimate. You used to be able to include / exclude and on large systems select how many.

No longer offering? Just out of stock? PW3 incoming?

I'd rather get the PW as part of the install since the Fed Tax Credit applies to the PW "only" if installed along with the system. Or so was implied by Tesla.

What's going on?

So i've been eyeing a Tesla solar system for a few months, especially after my tax bill for 2019 and increasing electric usage with the additional EV and a future HVAC and tankless water heater upgrades.

I just went to the Tesla solar configurator to see if rental / purchase rates had moved, as they had the last time I checked.

To my surprise the PowerWall is no longer listed anywhere in the estimate. You used to be able to include / exclude and on large systems select how many.

No longer offering? Just out of stock? PW3 incoming?

I'd rather get the PW as part of the install since the Fed Tax Credit applies to the PW "only" if installed along with the system. Or so was implied by Tesla.

What's going on?
You have to order separately.

That likely depends on who you are going through, and whether they have powerwalls in stock or not.

Exactly. We ordered solar and PWs back on 1/4 through Tesla and our PW install portion has been pushed back by Tesla until "the fall". I wouldn't wait to order the PWs or you might find yourself at a very long line for install and possibly not get schedule this year. At least this puts you in the queue. I wish we had ordered last year after our first PG&E safety shut down in October, some of those orders are now getting their PWs installed.

Exactly. We ordered solar and PWs back on 1/4 and our PW install portion has been pushed back by Tesla until "the fall". I wouldn't wait to order the PWs or you might find yourself at a very long line for install and possibly not get schedule this year. At least this puts you in the queue. I wish we had ordered last year after our first PG&E safety shut down.

You ordered directly from Tesla, not a third party authorized dealer / installed?

I found it by typing in the /powerwall, but it is no where to be found through regular navigation from tesla.com.

Not true. If I go to the Tesla site on my phone and look down the list on the right and go to Energy, it’s the second item down under Energy. In our area they are swamped with installs and new orders awaiting installs can be months out. We ordered 1/4/20 and won’t get ours until Fall...sometime. Likely different schedule for other parts of the country not under stress like areas under the PG&E’s wildfire safety shutdowns here. People thinking about summer solar generation and/or are in area of weather power outages will be thinking about solar/PW orders though.

Not true. If I go to the Tesla site on my phone and look down the list on the right and go to Energy, it’s the second item down under Energy. In our area they are swamped with installs and new orders awaiting installs can be months out. We ordered 1/4/20 and won’t get ours until Fall...sometime. Likely different schedule for other parts of the country not under stress like areas under the PG&E’s wildfire safety shutdowns here. People thinking about summer solar generation and/or are in area of weather power outages will be thinking about solar/PW orders though.

OK...I stand corrected, There used to be an "Energy" link in the top navigation, now it list solar panels and solar roof, and not Powerwalls. I did see however, if you look for the dropdown menu you can find the energy link. Wonder why it has been made more difficult to find?
Additionally, the dropdown menu is not as prevalent on the desktop browser as it would be on a mobile device.

We know that Elon's plan has been to increase production/sales at Tesla Energy in 2020. My guess would be they are ramping up PW production, just like solar roof, but mainly seeing the popularity of all solar products to get more teams trained.