Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
So just got my 8.16 kwh solar panels and 2 powerwalls working this past week. Looking for advice on optimizing my solar production/ savings.

I have one LR 2019 model 3 that I charge twice a week from 10-20 percent to 90 percent. I'm on the EV2A plan with PG&E and usually charge during non peak hours (12 am - 3 pm).

Currently, I have my powerwalls set to Time based controls - cost savings with non-peak hours from 12 am to 3 pm, peak from 4 pm to 9 pm, and shoulder all other times. Is cost savings the best or should I do balanced?

Thanks,

With this rate schedule, you might not notice much difference between Balanced and Cost Saving. I have been using Balanced since I was on EV-A, which Cost Savings does not work well on because there was no weekday Off-Peak solar production. I have since been kicked out of EV-A into EV2-A and I just left it in Balanced.

Also, I would charge the car when it gets down to 40-50% instead of letting it drop all the way to 10-20% since it's better for the batteries to avoid that routine low SOC.

Reactions: preilly44
With this rate schedule, you might not notice much difference between Balanced and Cost Saving. I have been using Balanced since I was on EV-A, which Cost Savings does not work well on because there was no weekday Off-Peak solar production. I have since been kicked out of EV-A into EV2-A and I just left it in Balanced.

Also, I would charge the car when it gets down to 40-50% instead of letting it drop all the way to 10-20% since it's better for the batteries to avoid that routine low SOC.
Is your EV charging from the grid on Balanced? I'm currently on Cost Saving because after a week on Balanced, my wife's car keeps draining the PW when it charges during off-peak.

Is your EV charging from the grid on Balanced? I'm currently on Cost Saving because after a week on Balanced, my wife's car keeps draining the PW when it charges during off-peak.
My Off-Peak EV charging never takes energy from the Powerwalls in Balanced Mode. However, it does sometimes start draining before sunrise if the SOC is relatively high. You can see both of these effects in the chart below.

Chart 2021-04-28.jpg