Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall shipping delays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very early in a project to provide powerwalls for the Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) here in Northern CA. My installer called me last night and said Tesla had called to inform them that there would be a significant delay in ordering powerwalls. Has anyone else received similar notice?

tesla told me that there are no current delays for pv+powerwall installs.. i said this in a previous thread but i do believe that Tesla is hogging the powerwalls for their own installs and only giving out small allotments to 3rd party installers... they really want to bury everyone else it seems.

I think you are right - but I'm not sure it is so much that they want to bury everybody else as they do have a shortage and, not surprisingly, they are prioritizing their own needs (which presumably they can do unless they have specific contractual commitments to other installers.) It also seems like they may be de-prioritizing their own PW-only installs in favor of solar+PW. This seems to be their target market now and I'm sure will bring in the most revenue for them, particularly as customers continue to push to beat the ITC drops.

tesla told me that there are no current delays for pv+powerwall installs.. i said this in a previous thread but i do believe that Tesla is hogging the powerwalls for their own installs and only giving out small allotments to 3rd party installers... they really want to bury everyone else it seems.

If they really want to bury their competition, they need to start offering service to a larger area of the country.

If they really want to bury their competition, they need to start offering service to a larger area of the country.

They (Tesla) kind of have to be able to service the areas they currently service, before that happens. It shouldnt take almost 2 months to return a customer to service when they are down with bad hardware, as an example :Powerwall online, but no Power Flow

Until they can service who they have, they shouldnt even think about expanding (personal opinion). They are already overwhelmed trying to service the areas they currently service.

Lol - Tesla is soooo damn good at generating hype... but it seems like they're always capacity constrained.

Every advert I see on TV about solar (Semper, Sunrun, and other locals) boasts the Powerwall...

Tesla has done a VERY good job of "branding" itself and becoming (for many) the "de facto" best item, even if they arent. Kind of like Apple iPhones. Its not just energy products either...

before I bought my model 3, I had been driving leased new BMWs for years. I have been at my current job for a long time (14 years) had at least 3 new BMWs during that time that I drove to work and no one said a thing to me. When I bought the model 3 instead of leasing a new BMW in 2018, several people were like "ohhhh a teeeessssllllaaaaaa!" what are we paying you anyway?!

Nevermind that the car before the model 3 was a fully loaded BMW 435, M sport, with all the msport options on it, or I sometimes drove my wifes X5, also M sport, with almost all the options on it. It was my model 3 that made people say "ooohhhh..."

Same thing with the energy products right now, lol. Dont get me wrong, I like the products a lot. To steal a phrase from someone else here on these boards somewhere, I am "unreasonably happy" with them. I just also think they have done a very good job of creating hype around them, especially for a company that "doesnt advertise"

I agree with other comments. I think Tesla is stretched mighty thin on a lot of fronts, but that seems to be where Musk likes to live. He seems to thrive with one foot on a banana peel. They're delivering Model Y's with defects and not enough service network to correct them. Tesla is #1 in quality control in China and last in USA.

But, if you want to be the "be all to all", you've got to first be available to all.

Oh, let me be the first to predict that Tesla stock will not make it to $10,000 per share like some have predicted.

I agree with other comments. I think Tesla is stretched mighty thin on a lot of fronts, but that seems to be where Musk likes to live. He seems to thrive with one foot on a banana peel. They're delivering Model Y's with defects and not enough service network to correct them. Tesla is #1 in quality control in China and last in USA.

But, if you want to be the "be all to all", you've got to first be available to all.

Oh, let me be the first to predict that Tesla stock will not make it to $10,000 per share like some have predicted.

They announced a 5:1 stock split... so assuming it doesn't split again it only needs to get to $2,000 now!

Reactions: preilly44
Yep, that was my point. They'll never let it get to $10,000. $2,000 is not $10,000 in any language.

I was being sarcastic by saying the target moved. But based on how TSLA's stock price jumped today the market is clearly irrational.

The share split will not change the value the company. So the equivalent of the old $10,000 target is now $2,000. The likelihood of TSLA hitting $10,000 pre-split is the same likelihood of $2,000 after the split.

So yes, $10,000 = $2,000 in TSLA-stonk-language.

And we'll see TSLA posting record SolarCity revenue in Q3 2020 (look at all the installs in this forrum). NKLA stock went up on the back of one single solar install (for the CEO's house). Imagine what all these cutthroat-zero-margin-installs will be worth to TSLA.

I was being sarcastic by saying the target moved. But based on how TSLA's stock price jumped today the market is clearly irrational.

The share split will not change the value the company. So the equivalent of the old $10,000 target is now $2,000. The likelihood of TSLA hitting $10,000 pre-split is the same likelihood of $2,000 after the split.

So yes, $10,000 = $2,000 in TSLA-stonk-language.

And we'll see TSLA posting record SolarCity revenue in Q3 2020 (look at all the installs in this forrum). NKLA stock went up on the back of one single solar install (for the CEO's house). Imagine what all these cutthroat-zero-margin-installs will be worth to TSLA.

There is almost always a big runup in share price after a split announcement. Just look at Apple split announcement.