Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall software 1.44.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
Around 0330 local time this morning, my Powerwall gateway picked up software 1.44.3. (I could tell because when it's updating, it stops responding to my data poller for a few minutes, which shows up as a drop-out of data on various graphs.)

No release notes, and so far I'm not able to discern any difference from the previous version, which was 1.44.2.

Almost feels like the vehicle software. :)

Bruce.

Around 0330 local time this morning, my Powerwall gateway picked up software 1.44.3. (I could tell because when it's updating, it stops responding to my data poller for a few minutes, which shows up as a drop-out of data on various graphs.)

No release notes, and so far I'm not able to discern any difference from the previous version, which was 1.44.2.

Almost feels like the vehicle software. :)

Bruce.

After I take a new update on my vehicles I do a cold reboot by pressing and holding the steering wheel buttons and the brake pedal for 10 seconds or so. Do you reboot your gateway? And if so, where are the buttons and brake pedal for the gateway?:p

• Funny
Reactions: bmah
My issues with changing the Reserve via the Tesla app seemed to be resolved by 1.44.2, my system is still running that.

The Gateway reboots itself as a part of the update, I've never had to do anything beyond that (haven't manually reset my Gateway since it was installed last March).

We're still on 1.43.3 but haven't had any problems with making changes in the app. Previously, we were stuck on 1.37.x (?) for 7 months. It turns out there was an update staged back in May when we had a grid outage. Since it couldn't connect to the grid, it never successfully installed the update and for some reason, it got stuck that way. They updated things manually in December when we added more solar. Hopefully we won't be stuck on 1.43.3...

We're still on 1.43.3 but haven't had any problems with making changes in the app. Previously, we were stuck on 1.37.x (?) for 7 months. It turns out there was an update staged back in May when we had a grid outage. Since it couldn't connect to the grid, it never successfully installed the update and for some reason, it got stuck that way. They updated things manually in December when we added more solar. Hopefully we won't be stuck on 1.43.3...

If you reboot the gateway does that help in situations like this? I have noticed on the cars it seems to help to reboot. Every time I see all sorts of posting about some update being out, and I have not gotten the update, I reboot and the update shows up in a few hours. It would not surprise me if Tesla used to the same IT infrastructure for the cars and power divisions.

Also, anyone notice if Wifi/ethernet connectivity is faster in getting updates than cellular via the built in antenna?

If you reboot the gateway does that help in situations like this? I have noticed on the cars it seems to help to reboot. Every time I see all sorts of posting about some update being out, and I have not gotten the update, I reboot and the update shows up in a few hours. It would not surprise me if Tesla used to the same IT infrastructure for the cars and power divisions.

Also, anyone notice if Wifi/ethernet connectivity is faster in getting updates than cellular via the built in antenna?
In my case, no. We rebooted it a few times for various reasons over the 7 months, including when we got an additional Powerwall in September. I mentioned how it was stuck on an old firmware and they did some troubleshooting but said that's the latest one available. I mentioned it again in December and they found the reason and had to something manually to get it updated while talking with tier 2 support.

I've also received 1.44.3. One change I've noticed is that the Powerwalls seem to be charging from excess solar instead of all solar. I'm in self-consumption mode 100% reserve right now. Two days ago (before the upgrade) it charged from all solar under similar conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
Off-topic, but what's the benefit to this setting versus backup-only mode? I'm new to the Powerwall world and still tinkering with my settings. I'm on v. 1.44.2, FWIW.

None, really. As far as I can tell, when the Powerwalls are below the backup reserve they behave the same as they would in backup mode. The one possible difference is that I think self-consumption mode may recharge a little more frequently than backup mode. I think that in self-consumption I'm seeing recharging whenever SoC goes below 98%. In backup mode it seems to let the Powerwalls go down to 97% before recharging.

The main reason I'm in self-consumption mode is because I have some automation that I run to turn self-consumption on and off. I figured it made more sense to change as little as possible, so all I'm changing is the backup reserve.

In Self Consumption mode, solar power is used first for house power, and only excess solar power is used to charge the PowerWalls.

In Backup mode, all solar power is diverted to the PowerWalls until the reserve % has been reached. While I haven't tested running in Backup mode with less than 100% power, I assume that once the reserve % is reached, then the PowerWalls will be charged using only excess solar power (like Self Consumption mode).

If a storm is coming, switching to Backup mode should increase the charge in the PowerWalls faster than using Self-Consumption mode.

Though if a Storm Watch is triggered, that should by pass the settings and force the PowerWalls to full charge (hopefully using grid and solar power).

In Self Consumption mode, solar power is used first for house power, and only excess solar power is used to charge the PowerWalls.

In Backup mode, all solar power is diverted to the PowerWalls until the reserve % has been reached. While I haven't tested running in Backup mode with less than 100% power, I assume that once the reserve % is reached, then the PowerWalls will be charged using only excess solar power (like Self Consumption mode).

If a storm is coming, switching to Backup mode should increase the charge in the PowerWalls faster than using Self-Consumption mode.

Though if a Storm Watch is triggered, that should by pass the settings and force the PowerWalls to full charge (hopefully using grid and solar power).

The excess solar is only if you’re above the backup reserve. Below the backup reserve, self-consumption mode often charges with all solar instead of excess solar. What I’ve observed over the past week is that the Powerwalls now charge with only excess solar if the charge drops below the reserve during the day. If the charge starts below the reserve at the beginning of the day, it’s still charging with all solar.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
IIRC, in Backup mode the max charge rate is 3.3 kW per PW. But in Self-powered, it is 5 kW per PW. However, that was many versions ago, not sure if it has been changed.
Came across this post searching for answers to another issue, but it has been a question of mine for ages, I have 3 powerwalls which can give power out at 5kw each, and Ive seen sustained 14+kw usage from them so know this is working, but always wondered why they would only charge at a combined 10kw. Now I know. Im happy keeping it this way as it allows me to charge the PWs and the car without popping a fuse.