Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Software 1.46

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't charge my M3 today at all. I don't think it is related to charging the car. I got 1.46.0 yesterday morning, and I have the setting just now. Maybe it take a day for Tesla to update your account on their end for the setting to show up.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 73
I didn't charge my M3 today at all. I don't think it is related to charging the car. I got 1.46.0 yesterday morning, and I have the setting just now. Maybe it take a day for Tesla to update your account on their end for the setting to show up.

Ok looked today and the option showed up below Storm Watch on the app - no new S/W on PW, cars or app

OK just checked again and now, magically, the option is there.
Do any of you know approximately how many hours or days passed between your 1.46.0 firmware update and when you noticed the new option in the app?

I have two powerwall systems - one for main house, and one for vacation home - one is updated the other is not

I've even tried logging on as the "installer" and running through the wizard to "check for software update" - but I'm getting an error in the update

I think we all just have to chill and wait - Tesla will push the updates to all of us when they are ready - and BTW it only changes the behavior of charging when you're off the grid (which should not be common for most of us).

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 7.27.19 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We had another question about our Powerwalls so we were talking with Tesla on Tuesday and they sent us the 1.46.0 firmware. It's been 2.5 days and we've charged a Model Y (supported) and a Model S (not yet supported) and still don't see the new option in the app.

BTW it only changes the behavior of charging when you're off the grid (which should not be common for most of us).

View attachment 535344

It also lets you charge a car with excess solar energy during the day. This is the feature I most want. I have a lot of questions about how this works.
- Can you set it to charge to, say, 50% from the grid but up to 90% from excess solar production?
- How does it handle two cars?
- How does it know the car is plugged into the same location as the powerwalls are located?

It also lets you charge a car with excess solar energy during the day. This is the feature I most want. I have a lot of questions about how this works.
- Can you set it to charge to, say, 50% from the grid but up to 90% from excess solar production?
- How does it handle two cars?
- How does it know the car is plugged into the same location as the powerwalls are located?

It does? The official information from tesla on their web page is:

Vehicle Charging During Power Outage | Tesla Powerwall
========================================
Vehicle Charging Behavior
GRID STATE HOME ELECTRIC LOADS CHARGING BEHAVIOR

On Grid Any Load Vehicle charges as normal

Power outage with Powerwall above energy threshold or surplus solar Low Loads Vehicle charges with surplus power and energy
High Loads Vehicle slows charging to prioritize your home loads
Power outage with Powerwall below energy threshold Any Load Vehicle stops charging
=========================================

Where do you see that there is any change whatsoever when ON GRID with this new firmware?

As mentioned, It seems to me that all changes are predicated on a "grid down" situation. There doesnt seem to be any change for on grid charging behavior that I can see. Could you point me to information where on grid changes are confirmed as it relates to vehicle / charger charging?

It also lets you charge a car with excess solar energy during the day.

this may be true but I doubt it - it does not match any of the documentation regarding this feature. The documentation clearly states it only affects "off-grid" behavior - all car charging is done as normal if you are "on-grid". I'd love to see where this behavior was asserted.

documentation here:

Vehicle Charging During Power Outage | Tesla Powerwall

in reviewing the matrix below it clearly states Vehicle charges "as normal" when the Powerwall system is "on grid".

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 8.44.49 AM.png

I believe this phrase in the matrix is ambigous, but I'll add parenthesis to force the order of operations to be correct:

#1 - Power outage & (Powerwall above energy threshold OR surplus solar)

some people might have read it as follows:

#2 - (Power outage with Powerwall above energy threshold) or surplus solar

statement #1 is correct, statement #2 is incorrect - the dominate criteria for charging the vehicle is "on or off grid" - when "off-grid" excess solar can be used to charge the car - the same is not true when you are on grid.

I believe this phrase in the matrix is ambigous, but I'll add parenthesis to force the order of operations to be correct:

#1 - Power outage & (Powerwall above energy threshold OR surplus solar)

some people might have read it as follows:

#2 - (Power outage with Powerwall above energy threshold) or surplus solar

statement #1 is correct, statement #2 is incorrect - the dominate criteria for charging the vehicle is "on or off grid" - when "off-grid" excess solar can be used to charge the car - the same is not true when you are on grid.
Agree #1 is correct. Besides, it states that when Grid State is On Grid, everything is normal.

So, I tested it out yesterday. I disconnect from the grid at 3:15 pm when PW is 96%. Luckily no frequency issue. I set the threshold at 85%. When it started charging M3 at 20A, it charged as normal. Pulling 20A (from both solar and PW). So, it didn't charge with only surplus solar. After 15 minutes pulling from both solar + PW, I changed the threshold to 95%. Once PW dropped below 95%, I can see M3 started varying current on its own, trying to make PW closed to 0 kW, but most of the time it hovered around +/- 0.2 kW.

Charge Current.png

Charge current was fixed at 20A (as normal) until 3:37 pm. Then it started to varies on its own.

I only have a single powerwall, and my Tesla wall connector is not backed up in my backup load center, but I have the option enabled in the app. I'm curious now what will happen in an outage :). I don't see how it can possibly charge, so I'm guessing they just don't have a configuration option for those of us without whole house backup.

I only have a single powerwall, and my Tesla wall connector is not backed up in my backup load center, but I have the option enabled in the app. I'm curious now what will happen in an outage :). I don't see how it can possibly charge, so I'm guessing they just don't have a configuration option for those of us without whole house backup.
I am the same. Purposefully did not back up the WC.

Short answer is nothing. You cannot charge your car during a grid outage unless you find an outlet that is backed up and you use the UMC. Your WC will be dead.

Reactions: Shygar