Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Software 1.46

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vehicle Charging During Power Outage | Tesla Powerwall

Powerwall now coordinates with Tesla vehicles during a power outage to charge your car without exceeding the energy and power capabilities of your Powerwall. The Powerwall reacts to the power needs of your home and will slow or stop your vehicle's charging, keeping your home loads powered.

During a power outage, your Tesla vehicle will charge from the Powerwall whenever it is above the threshold set in the Tesla app. You can change this threshold to balance your home and transportation energy needs.

Keep your vehicle plugged in while the sun is shining and surplus solar will charge your vehicle. Charging stops when Powerwall’s stored energy drops below your set threshold.

I had my WC put in the non backed up load panel to avoid the car discharging the PW's in a power event. If I knew this was coming, I would have left it in the back up load panel.

Also would be nice if they could expand the vehicle charging threshold to also function during normal operation so charging the car overnight won't drain the PW's but instead pull from the grid below a set threshold.

Does it work without Internet? Internet connectivity is often spotty or non-existent during power outages.

Does it work without Internet? Internet connectivity is often spotty or non-existent during power outages.

These kinds of details don't seem to be available yet, but I hope it does. Given that it's only on certain cars so far, it is definitely reliant on features that aren't in the firmware of all cars. To me this means there's hope that they've come up with a protocol for the car and Gateway to communicate on the local LAN.

Yes, I have the setting below StormWatch (even though I have a Model X):

I have M3 and MX (both at 2020.12.5) and my PW is updated to 1.46.0 this morning, and my Tesla Andriod app is already at 3.10.4. PW is in TBC-Balanced. However, I also don't see any setting below Storm Watch. I tried plug in M3 but still no go. Does it take a day or 2 before the setting shows up in the app? Let's hope that it doesn't require the newest WiFi Wall Connector that Tesla forgets to mention.....

Last edited:
I have a P3D+ and the up to date Tesla iPhone app and Powerwall firmware, and don't see the setting below Storm Watch. Does it depend on what custom setting you choose, like TBC or the like?
Probably because if you have backup only, it will just supply power to everything in an outage. Also if you do self powered, it also will just use the battery till it hits your reserve %, regardless of what is drawing power. So my guess is TBC would have to be enabled.

Vehicle Charging During Power Outage | Tesla Powerwall

Supported Versions
  • Powerwall: 1.46+
  • Tesla Mobile App: 3.10.2+
  • Model 3/Model Y – North America: 2019.40.1+
  • Model 3/Model Y – Other Regions: Coming Soon
  • Model S/Model X: Coming Soon

According to this only Model 3 and Y in north america are supported with version 2019.40.1+

....uuuhhh, that's what I've got in North America (all versions correct), and still no option in the Tesla iPhone app (but can see the release notes about it plus a new app Inbox message touting the feature).

Probably because if you have backup only, it will just supply power to everything in an outage. Also if you do self powered, it also will just use the battery till it hits your reserve %, regardless of what is drawing power. So my guess is TBC would have to be enabled.

TBC is enabled. I use Cost-Saving. I ask to keep 30% in reserve in my 2 PWs. I have the latest Versions of the Tesla iPhone app, PW app, and Model 3 firmware. Still no joy...

Ditto here- not seeing the new settings yet. North America-based, Tesla app version 3.10.4 (Android), Powerwall 1.46.0, Model 3 software 2020.12.5. Both the car and Powerwall gateway are on the same network. I've tried switching between Backup/Self-powered/TBC, logging out/back in to the app, restarting the phone, all to no avail- there's nothing below `Storm Watch` on my Powerwall customization screen in any case.

I'm really excited to try this out- if it works well, it'd mean I can stop worrying about building a RasPi RS-485 charge controller bridge to bang on the Powerwall local API to accomplish the same thing. The car and the gateway should be able to manage this without the new WiFi charger- heck, shouldn't matter what kind of charger you have since the car can always control its own current draw.

The only other variable I can think of: are the folks that have it working on iOS or Android?

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D

I'm on self-powered right now and have the setting. My understanding is that the feature currently only applies during power outages, so the mode shouldn't matter.

Reactions: Shygar
I charged my M3 yesterday but it didn't show up. I checked this morning but still no go. But after reading your post, I checked again and it is now there!
Can you post a screenshot?

I've tried charging various cars multiple times but still no luck. Maybe it will show up for us once the Y returns this afternoon. How long did you let the 3 charge?