Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall - storm watch and car charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to add, a single Powerwall can only discharge at 5kW. A dumb charger will charge at 7kW. In the event of a power cut the Powerwall will then trip out. So it won’t be flat in the morning (but the car maybe) but you will not have enjoyed the protection from the power cut.
As someone else said, the storm watch activates very infrequently (twice in two winters of Powerwall ownership for me) and I would naturally set my Zappi to stop mode on such an occasion or even if I was concerned about a power cut due to weather.

As someone else said, the storm watch activates very infrequently (twice in two winters of Powerwall ownership for me) and I would naturally set my Zappi to stop mode on such an occasion or even if I was concerned about a power cut due to weather.

I suspect that folk would charge their EVs to "max" in anticipation of the storm too - so less likely for PowerWall to be asked to charge car perhaps?

Maybe that's a new 1st world change-management habit to need to acquire

I’ve now heard back from the installer.

he says that the way my system is set up with my dumb charger means that in the event of a power outage the car, if plugged in, will take from the Powerwall as it effectively sees the charger as part of the house load.

As my current set up works so well for me OTHER than in the event that there is a power outage AND I am charging the car at the same time, I’m happy enough with the way it’s all set up. I don’t plan on changing the charger for a Tesla or Zappi, and somehow getting internet connection to the garage.
It's possible that this thread Anyone in the UK got 'EV Charging' option in Powerwall settings? might be of interest. It relies purely on a tiny tweak to the supply frequency and the charger can be as 'dumb' as you like :)

Just to add, a single Powerwall can only discharge at 5kW. A dumb charger will charge at 7kW. In the event of a power cut the Powerwall will then trip out. So it won’t be flat in the morning (but the car maybe) but you will not have enjoyed the protection from the power cut.
In my experience, the Powerwall will shift the mains frequency in the event of a power cut. This signals to the car to stop charging, which it does pretty much instantly, hopefully bringing the load back to a level the Powerwall can support while off-grid.

Ive just had powerwall and gateway fitted and app doesnt show ev charging here in the uk
Oh yes it does 😂

but it seems not everyone has it. It only sets a percentage of your choice, when off grid, that can go into the car.
IMG_4459.png

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Oh yes it does 😂

but it seems not everyone has it. It only sets a percentage of your choice, when off grid, that can go into the car.
View attachment 923466
Oh no it doesn't. I'm on 4.19.5 on the App and I do not see the EV charging option. However, this does not concern me too much, as my EVs are never plugged into any of my 5 charge points or the Granny unless I am charging. In a power cut, I'd immediately disconnect the chargers to prevent drain from my PWs, it would be nice to have the option though.

Reactions: Dilly