Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Storm Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
Anybody else putting their Powerwalls at 80% backup mode tonight, ready for tomorrows Storm?

Think I'll run them down today to 8%, fill them overnight to 100% ... and set backup to 80% and run off the Grid tomorrow, just in case 💣💢

Screenshot_20220217-090920_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: scdoubleu
Anybody else putting their Powerwalls at 80% backup mode tonight, ready for tomorrows Storm?

Think I'll run them down today to 8%, fill them overnight to 100% ... and set backup to 80% and run off the Grid tomorrow, just in case 💣💢
Interesting set-up outside. We now have a Powerwall and Gateway fitted inside our garage, but electrician not able to wire it up for a couple of weeks. Wish mine was running now, as we are due over 80mph gusts tomorrow lunchtime.

Reactions: PITA
Interesting set-up outside. We now have a Powerwall and Gateway fitted inside our garage, but electrician not able to wire it up for a couple of weeks. Wish mine was running now, as we are due over 80mph gusts tomorrow lunchtime.

Yeah... I had them fitted on the North facing wall to keep them in shade and cool in Summer. Same as the Inverter, and at ground level for easy maintenance.

They're outside for Fire Safety reasons.

Hope you get yours wired up soon, and are spared any blackout risk.

Last edited:
Don't have power wall but I normally have charge on car set to 80% but all the way to 100%for last 2 nights just incase as after last storm some estates in out area were withoutpower for over a week. Will revert to 80% Saturday

Without power for over a week sounds horrific... that shouldn't happen in this day and age...

With all the technology available nowadays, it sometimes makes 'reality' look like we're still in the steam age...

I've been upping the backup reserve by 15% per day for the last few days in preparation for Eunice. I'll crank it up to 90% first thing Friday morning - it should be close enough to that anyway after charging overnight. It's looking like the East Midlands is in for a battering.

Good luck everyone!

• Love
Old school solution here. Power went off for 3 hrs yesterday so fired up the 7KVA genny. First time in anger for 4 years. Just a PITA daisy chaining cable reels. So far 4 companies have been to survey and never returned re panels and batteries...

View attachment 770172
Been looking at the Solaredge stuff but an element that concerns me is that they restrict system access to their approved installers. What happens if they go bust - do you lose control / status / configuration of your panels?

Our PW automatically went into Storm Mode early hours Wednesday as Storm Dudley went through. It's back to normal operation again today. I'm anticipating a similar action overnight as Eunice makes its way over. If not, I'll up the backup limit in the morning. So far we've had three automatic storm warning triggers and it seems to cope pretty well without needing any intervention.

Interested... what can/do you run off the generator?
No electric heating in our house so a 7kva generator runs everything as normal. We were without power for 4 days after the last (Arwen?) storm so well worth it for the price of a few litres of petrol ... not very green but cost effective. I don't suppose the batteries last much more than a day or so?

Storm watch is set kick in. it did nothing last night and was 64%this morning. Not too bothered. Now at 87% and 6KWh solar pumping in with wall to wall to wall sunshine today.
just hope the wind from the south leaves my solar panels on the roof!
the trees at end of the garden do offer some protection, while they are standing!

Without power for over a week sounds horrific... that shouldn't happen in this day and age...

With all the technology available nowadays, it sometimes makes 'reality' look like we're still in the steam age...
There's still no cost effective alternative to wires strung between poles. They will always be susceptible to wind/tree damage.

As an aside, are those brackets around the power walls part of the normal install or have you added them? Is it for security?

There aren't enough techs or equipment to remedy the aftermath of a strong storm. No company is going to pay for people to sit at home on standby for 90% of the time. Now if you want to pay the extra on your electric bill then underground cables are the way forward, better protected from weather etc, much more expensive to install though. Also the greenies would be up in arms about all the countryside being dug up for install or repair, overhead lines with all their faults (weather damage being a big one) are substantially cheaper/quicker to install and no one would want to pay the costs to rip them down in favour of underground XLPE cables.

No electric heating in our house so a 7kva generator runs everything as normal. We were without power for 4 days after the last (Arwen?) storm so well worth it for the price of a few litres of petrol ... not very green but cost effective. I don't suppose the batteries last much more than a day or so?

Depends... from 16th April 2021 last year (install date), our two Powerwalls and the Solar Array ran non stop for 6 WEEKS off-grid. Completely 100% self powered with no operational cost. Thats pretty impressive by anybodys standards. ZERO grid use.

I'm based in the West Midlands so it was an epic start to using our system. The only reason we broke the continuous use, was because we had Smart Meters installed and he wanted all the power off.

During Winter, if we had full batteries and switched across to our Gas Central heating (which still works in a power cut), we could easily go for days on the basics (heating, food)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Avendit and Adopado
As an aside, are those brackets around the power walls part of the normal install or have you added them? Is it for security?

Yeah I designed & fitted them myself with security bolts. I call them PowerClaws 😁

Tesla are very strict about not covering them, or touching them, or modifying them...

So my idea provides quite good security, it doesn't touch them, or cover them, and is not a Powerwall modification. It allows good ventilation and access.

It also helps keep them scuff free when I'm wheeling the bins past...

... in fact, theres one scuffed 'claw' where a scaffolding tower was dragged past... so they do work 😁😇😇😇

Last edited:
Reactions: init6