Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Storm Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There used to be two different price tiers (8p/kWh if you had a Tesla, 10ish if you didn’t), and they asked you not to charge betwen 4pm and 7pm (or something like that). I think that was very much a low price to get enough people onto it to work out how to make it work.

Now there’s only one price (went up last April to 11.24p, I renewed onto that in December) and you’re not supposed to exceed 9500kWh/year from the grid per powerwall during something like 9am to 9pm (I forget the exact times).

I just had a look, and you can't use Solar diverted power on Smart Chargers... so have to turn that feature off... same for Solar Water heaters... have to turn those off as well.
I use an Immersun solar diverter for my immersion heater rather than exporting excess to the grid as well as having a SMETS2 smart meter. Nobody has said I shouldn’t and everything seems to work ok. However the Tesla Energy Plan does specifically state that you should switch such devices off If you move to the Plan.

Reactions: PITA
I use an Immersun solar diverter for my immersion heater rather than exporting excess to the grid as well as having a SMETS2 smart meter. Nobody has said I shouldn’t and everything seems to work ok. However the Tesla Energy Plan does specifically state that you should switch such devices off If you move to the Plan.
Me too, they are great, in the summer we got free hot water most of the time. I'm looking forward to experimenting with our system this summer.

Me too, they are great, in the summer we got free hot water most of the time. I'm looking forward to experimenting with our system this summer.
A big advantage for me with the Immersun is that normally my water is heated by the oil fired central heating system but on anything but a really cloudy day the solar harvests enough energy to keep the water fully heated so I save a hell of a lot on oil as well as being paid deemed export for the electricity I use. My FIT provider is more than happy for me to stay on deemed export rather than metered export even though I have a SMETS2.

Interested... what can/do you run off the generator?
I did try and get local sparky to fit an isolator switch so genny could get plugged into some ring mains but it never happened.
Our priorities are the borehole pump first, then 2 barn freezers, one freezer and one fridge indoors, then router, PC, and landline cordless phones. After that the choices depend on time of day - table/floor lamps or choice between kettle or microwave. The genny has 2 power outputs, 13A each so some safety juggling needed. It also depends on whether raining and I leave the genny in the barn or dry and I park it outside the utility room for shorter cable runs. Sadly the power socket for the central heating is bloody hard to get at - needs sorting - so we can't have that on in an outage but we do have a woodburner and my own woodland.

Haha... I've got some outdoor plug sockets scattered around the perimeter of our land. Use them for Xmas lights, hoovers, lawn mowers, jet washers, corded power tools, phone chargers etc...

But in a blackout, for an Emergency I can reel an extension cable from one of them to my Neighbour to share our Tesla Juice if needed👍
I’d need a 350 yard extension reel to do that - he’s out of luck:D

• Funny
Interesting thing I see with storm watch. Powerwall has isolated itself entirely. It’s been at 98% since it kicked in last night but didn’t top up on cheap rate last night and nor is it taking solar now.

EDIT
it just went down to 97% and the sun has gone in, so it’s started tucking into 6.7kWh of grid power :mad:

Manually controlling the backup reserve here; set to 80%. House base load is being satisfied from solar, even under the rain clouds.

My concern is that if the grid goes out with a PW2 reserve > 90% that the Gateway will curtail solar by raising the AC frequency. This will have the side-effect of switching my UPS onto battery, which won't last more than 30 minutes.

A big advantage for me with the Immersun is that normally my water is heated by the oil fired central heating system but on anything but a really cloudy day the solar harvests enough energy to keep the water fully heated so I save a hell of a lot on oil as well as being paid deemed export for the electricity I use. My FIT provider is more than happy for me to stay on deemed export rather than metered export even though I have a SMETS2.
Mine is a Solic200 SOLiC 200 – Earthwise Products

Manually controlling the backup reserve here; set to 80%. House base load is being satisfied from solar, even under the rain clouds.

My concern is that if the grid goes out with a PW2 reserve > 90% that the Gateway will curtail solar by raising the AC frequency. This will have the side-effect of switching my UPS onto battery, which won't last more than 30 minutes.

That's why I manually set mine to 80% 👍

Keeps the Solar Panels active... if the Grid fails.

I wonder if my Powerwalls are being a bit sensitive. I’ve had 8 reported cuts of a few seconds each. One even made the cordless phone chargers cut out. We heard them come back on.
none of my immediate neighbours have suffered even flickering lights or anything
anyone had similar?

I wonder if my Powerwalls are being a bit sensitive. I’ve had 8 reported cuts of a few seconds each. One even made the cordless phone chargers cut out. We heard them come back on.
none of my immediate neighbours have suffered even flickering lights or anything
anyone had similar?

Back on 10th September 2021 - this happened to us... 7 events in 1 hour...

I spoke to the DNO about it, and they told me it was a fault on the Grid cabling, and the Substation Emergency Breakers kept resetting themselves until finally the cable blows out.

Then they could identify exactly where the faulty cable is to dig it up for repair, and in the meantime divert power on other lines if possible.

Good job we've got surge protection at the Consumer Unit while they were dicking about.

If nobody else was effected, maybe your cabling junction might have been stress tested?

Screenshot_20220218-170926_Tesla.jpg

Reactions: Dilly