Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall System Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my powerwall installed yesterday and today I followed the instructions to log into the TEG on the gateway to configure it to my home WiFi. After doing so I hit start system and I get the error "Unable to start syetem: sitemaster needs a default real mode."

I had my powerwall installed yesterday and today I followed the instructions to log into the TEG on the gateway to configure it to my home WiFi. After doing so I hit start system and I get the error "Unable to start syetem: sitemaster needs a default real mode."
Did you managed to solve the problem? because I have the same problem now. Please help me.

I am not a Tesla employee, but this is what I figured out with no help from Tesla on this. Seems the Tesla installer team did not join my inverters and the gateway and set it up in installer mode to "commission" the powerwall and inverters and the gateway. You will need a support person to come out or remote in an commission the system.

If you login to the inverters in your WIFI setup on a smart phone or PC, you can go to 192.168.92.1 for the inverter(s). Your email is the email on your Tesla account. You will need clearance from the Power Company you are PTO (Permission to Turn On) first. You will need to power cycle the inverters to talk to each inverter(s) with their specific SSID. You might be asked for Installer or Customer, choose Customer. Password is inside the Inverter. Inverter should show up on WIFI as TeslaPV_XXXXXX. Use the email address that you signed up with. If it says you cannot login or doesn't give you a login, you will need to power cycle the Inverter with the breaker on the inverter shut off box. Once you do this you will need to choose the Country, State, Utility Company and most of the time the 240V connection. Not sure about the meter. I left it blank. Then once that is done, you will also need to configure the WIFI to your home WIFI. It will reset the inverter and you will lose connection. Once that is done, you will need to login back into the TeslaPV_XXXXXX inverter and enable the inverter with ENABLE. It will runs through some tests. You should hear it going where the inverter is.

For the Gateway at 192.168.91.1 you can see if you can setup the WIFI. Same process as before. Then cycle the the Gateway. The part I could not get going was the Start system. I could enable the WIFI and the Cellular and test the connection, but I got a Powerwall System Error "Unable to start system: sitemaster needs a default real mode." This means the system is not commissioned and the installer onsite or remote needs to login and set up the system. Tesla said this normally takes 10-14 days, but for a new customer they will try to get to level 3 support to remote in and configure. Once that happens you will need to login to the Tesla App on your smart phone and go to settings and account and setup the Powerwall there. Gateway not communicating is because the system is not commissioned yet.

Hope all this helps. I did this over 5 days. So that is what I have learned. Have to say the Tesla support people were good but most of them didn't know how to solve the issue and kept sending me documents to try or videos and that is for a system that was already commissioned. My system installer said they would be back to do the setup for the software and train me once APS (Arizona Power) installed the meters and gave clearance to turn on. Yeah, not anything! I have spent well over 10 hours this week troubleshooting only to find out it really wasn't commissioned.

Make sure all the breakers are in the on position, shutoffs on, powerwall switches to on position for inverter(s), powerwall(s), gateway trip switch and powerwall and solar breakers and main breaker on main panel on AMP service.

That's all I know. Passing the knowledge on.

• Informative
Reactions: stagepuppy