Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall/System Misbehaving Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yonki

Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2015
Pacific Grove, CA
My plan is set to Time-Based Control, with peak rates starting at 3PM. I have my Powerwalls set for 60% Backup / 40% Time-Based.

For the 8 months I've had the system, it's basically worked as expected. Powerwalls start charging up when the sun rises, generally they reach 100% by noon or so, and stay there until 3PM when I run the hosue off the Powerwalls and send the solar back to PG&E.

But today I happened to look at the app and the Powerwalls were sitting around 85%, not charging, with all the solar split between my house and the grid. If I change the setting to 100% Backup / 0% Time-Based, I can force the Powerwalls to start charging, but they seem to be limited to exactly 5kW (normally they charge at whatever the solar is producing, about 7kW right now). Then as soon as I change it back to my normal settings, the Powerwalls stop charging.

This has been happening reliably for the last hour or so. I'd force charging (limited to 5kW for some reason), then switch back to 60/40, and the PWs would stop charging.

But right now, as I finish writing this, 60/40 seems to be working correctly and the PWs are charging at 7kW. So maybe it's fixed itself.

So no issue anymore, but it's something I'll be keeping my eye on in the future. Has anyone else ever seen this?

My plan is set to Time-Based Control, with peak rates starting at 3PM. I have my Powerwalls set for 60% Backup / 40% Time-Based.

For the 8 months I've had the system, it's basically worked as expected. Powerwalls start charging up when the sun rises, generally they reach 100% by noon or so, and stay there until 3PM when I run the hosue off the Powerwalls and send the solar back to PG&E.

But today I happened to look at the app and the Powerwalls were sitting around 85%, not charging, with all the solar split between my house and the grid. If I change the setting to 100% Backup / 0% Time-Based, I can force the Powerwalls to start charging, but they seem to be limited to exactly 5kW (normally they charge at whatever the solar is producing, about 7kW right now). Then as soon as I change it back to my normal settings, the Powerwalls stop charging.

This has been happening reliably for the last hour or so. I'd force charging (limited to 5kW for some reason), then switch back to 60/40, and the PWs would stop charging.

But right now, as I finish writing this, 60/40 seems to be working correctly and the PWs are charging at 7kW. So maybe it's fixed itself.

So no issue anymore, but it's something I'll be keeping my eye on in the future. Has anyone else ever seen this?
You might get some insight here: New Charging Behavior

Reactions: Yonki