Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall technical discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the SolarEdge press release, they say that "The solution will also support upgrading existing SolarEdge systems with the storage solution.", which makes it seem like there's no new hardware needed on the inverter. Since the communication needs to happen even if the grid is down (backup version is pointless otherwise), it'd need to be direct, local communication rather than The Cloud.

Given the ports listed at http://www.solaredge.com/files/pdfs/solaredge-communication_options_application_note_v2_250_and_above.pdf the most likely seems like the RS-485 / Modbus port.

For anyone at the event, were any of the powerwalls hanging there real or were they all just the decorative shells? Probably too much to hope that someone there saw a port on one that happened to be real :)

It'd be handy if the Powerwall was using an available spec like SunSpec Energy Storage for those of us who like to tweak things.

I still don't see how these would be wired into the house for daily use, as distinct from emergency use, because of the 2/3.3 kW limit. That would barely cover 2 120V 15A circuits.

When not in a backup /essential loads set mode, they are not tied to any particular circuit. They just would just add up to 2kW to the total power for your house. Sort of like a 2kW output Solar panel was added.

Do we know if the 2/3.3Kw limit is per pack or for the whole system. That is, if you buy the largest possible 90KWh system (9 powerwalls tied together), would you still get 2Kw power or 18kw? Also, the 3.3Kw peak--how long can the pack supply that? Long enough to use a toaster?

Do we know if the 2/3.3Kw limit is per pack or for the whole system. That is, if you buy the largest possible 90KWh system (9 powerwalls tied together), would you still get 2Kw power or 18kw? Also, the 3.3Kw peak--how long can the pack supply that? Long enough to use a toaster?

FYI For daily usage you want 9 of the 7kW power walls tied together, not the 10kW power walls. The 10kW are for backup only and not for daily usage.

I suspect Tesla partnered with inverter providers to tackle the US first. It will require inverter support for each region to be of use. If the battery is charged by PV dc, then there should be no other barriers apart from inverter functionality. If it is done this way, it is a smart move on Tesla's part as it keeps Tesla out of the "need to know/engineer" by region business where the inverter companies already have that work done.

Per your post above, the 10 kWh variant uses the same chemistry as those in the Model S. Now, I cycle my MS pack much more than 50 times a year - in fact, I cycle it to some extent everyday. Not sure I see the logic.

When talking battery cycles, it's usually "full cycles", which hopefully you do not do to your Tesla every day.

Partial cycles are much less wear on the battery. i.e. 200 50% cycles is much less damaging to battery than 100 100% cycles.