Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

powerwall time based control working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Paddy,
No I’ve not considered givenergy, I understand (although I’ve not seen it in the flesh) the the solarenergy system & app is very comprehensive and all encompassing especially since they added their inverter/charger.
I’m also considering adding an eddi for hot water in due course to reduce demand on the combi boiler.
Save me going back through the post what size is your PV system do you have and are you able to run during winter without using any peak.
We have a 6.2kW peak power system, and the 6kW inverter on a west-south-westerly roof.

If the Powerwall is charged to full at the end of the O-Go off peak window (0430 for us) we are easily able to survive through the day with no solar generation. (We had days in December when we would generate 0.2 or 0.3kWh). We don’t have much background load, and no electric heating, but Mrs P is a prolific user the tumble dryer.

Are you able to determine how much the SolarEdge battery charges from the grid during off peak? Game changer if so

Attachments

• 123FDBD6-718B-420B-9697-BA5CEC17A9D0.jpeg
    123FDBD6-718B-420B-9697-BA5CEC17A9D0.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 62
We have a 6.2kW peak power system, and the 6kW inverter on a west-south-westerly roof.

If the Powerwall is charged to full at the end of the O-Go off peak window (0430 for us) we are easily able to survive through the day with no solar generation. (We had days in December when we would generate 0.2 or 0.3kWh). We don’t have much background load, and no electric heating, but Mrs P is a prolific user the tumble dryer.

Are you able to determine how much the SolarEdge battery charges from the grid during off peak? Game changer if so
I should - the image above is our generation since the panels were installed in early July ‘21.

I should - the image above is our generation since the panels were installed in early July ‘21.
Paddy,
We are on the same 4 hours off peak as you, 00.30 to 04.30. My BH doesn’t ever use our tumble drier except when she washes the bed quilts & is not partial to time shifting any of our functions etc.
We have a gas hob & combi boiler otherwise all electric. I’ll post a typical usage graph.

Attachments

• E604FE4D-7215-47A5-8B30-A6AEBB88E26B.jpeg
    E604FE4D-7215-47A5-8B30-A6AEBB88E26B.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 34
I think so! I'm on 1Gb Virgin, and all rooms have 10Gb CAT6A wiring with 2 x 24 port 10Gb switches; the jump from 1Gb solved all audio and HD video buffering and our VOIP house phones have perfect audio. The Powerwall and extra panels should payback within 8 years.

Same here 😁😁😁

Wifi 6 AX Tri-Band Mesh Network with Satellites and 1Gb Virgin broadband, plus 4G hotspots.

The house is kitted with a lot of smarthome devices, usually between 60 and 100 connections at any one time. So it gets busy.

We're now consuming close to 2MWh per month...

Screenshot_20220116-140923_mySolarEdge.jpg

Same here 😁😁😁

Wifi 6 AX Tri-Band Mesh Network with Satellites and 1Gb Virgin broadband, plus 4G hotspots.

The house is kitted with a lot of smarthome devices, usually between 60 and 100 connections at any one time. So it gets busy.

We're now consuming close to 2MWh per month...
Love it!, I'm using a Draytek 2927ac router with the Virgin Box in modem mode so that I can have 4 VLANs for different purposes. The mobile signal is so poor here, I need to use a 4G repeater, otherwise we are mainly wired although I'm using Draytek APs (connected to my 10Gb backbone) for wi-fi, with of course one AP for the Tesla. All our light switches are wi-fi controlled.

Do you have a computer that talks to you when motion is detected outside, with it telling you where? 😁

Love it!, I'm using a Draytek 2927ac router with the Virgin Box in modem mode so that I can have 4 VLANs for different purposes. The mobile signal is so poor here, I need to use a 4G repeater, otherwise we are mainly wired although I'm using Draytek APs (connected to my 10Gb backbone) for wi-fi, with of course one AP for the Tesla. All our light switches are wi-fi controlled.

Do you have a computer that talks to you when motion is detected outside, with it telling you where? 😁

Haha, well yes we do.

We use LightwaveRF lightswitches and sockets connected via proprietary radio to a Wired Hub into the router. This enables us to remote control all switches and sockets by voice or Smartphone App. Nice thing about this is, one IP Address for groups of devices.

Alexa Show-8 units scattered around are integrated with Ring motion sensors & door/window sensors for zone monitoring (backed up by independent wired house alarm). With motion audio alerts in key zones.

Sensors provide open/closed audit for sheds, garage door, meter boxes, safe, external doors... all sorts.

I also have integrated mood LED lights which change colour on home alarm status. So stairwell & garage shutter security is Red, when alarm in active.

Haha, well yes we do.
Wow, I must look at LightwaveRF.

I use standard halogen motion-detector floodlights and tap into the lighting circuit to pick up the 240V when the light comes on; this is transformed down to 12V, rectified and triggers mains borne signalling that is picked up by a receiver connected to a laptop that talks.

Using Sonoff type light switches, but big problem, we get random switch-ons and offs.

Nice system

Reactions: PITA
Your set up reads like something from another galaxy, brilliant & credit to you for understanding it all.

Yeah... well I never understood why houses couldn't be just like modern cars...

- Climate Control
- Silent, laminate glass
- Keyless Entry
- Voice Activation
- Central Remote Alarm
- Mood lighting
- Comfort Seating
- Digital, meaningful displays
- Surround sound hifi grade equipment
- Self powered & environmentally autonomous

So, I got on with it and made it so... 😁

Wow, I must look at LightwaveRF.

I use standard halogen motion-detector floodlights and tap into the lighting circuit to pick up the 240V when the light comes on; this is transformed down to 12V, rectified and triggers mains borne signalling that is picked up by a receiver connected to a laptop that talks.

Using Sonoff type light switches, but big problem, we get random switch-ons and offs.

Nice system

Yep, LightwaveRF is nice stuff... you can buy relay switches as well to automate things like irrigation, pool pumps, blind/curtain motors, garage doors, outside lighting etc...

I've got three sets of outside lights, on seperate ring circuits, but controlled centrally by the LightwaveRF hub & app... so they all come on, and go off by schedule at the same time.

But then just two sets when the garage doors are opened, and off again when closed.

... just to add... a REAL KEY BENEFIT

Because LightwaveRF sockets replace your existing sockets you can't bypass them.

So if you have kids, who insist on using non-battery plug in devices (like TV's and Game Consoles)... you can schedule lock the sockets.

This means the sockets turn off, by time schedule, and you can lock them out, so they cannot physically turn them back on, until schedule says so.

...if you need to.

... just to add... a REAL KEY BENEFIT

Because LightwaveRF sockets replace your existing sockets you can't bypass them.

So if you have kids, who insist on using non-battery plug in devices (like TV's and Game Consoles)... you can schedule lock the sockets.

This means the sockets turn off, by time schedule, and you can lock them out, so they cannot physically turn them back on, until schedule says so.

...if you need to.
I too must take a look at LightwaveRF. I can replace all my plug in timers & control things remotely. Glad I read this post.

Were you ever able to resolve your issue with Powerwall not charging sufficiently during the off peak period?
yes, it seems so. However, we now kind of have the opposite problem in that we often have too much power. Like many of you, we have a solar array (5.2kW) so if it's a sunny day (as today), we can benefit from that. Even though today's forecast is sunny all day, the PW still charged to 100% last night.

I don't think it helps that our mentality (i.e. Mrs Kuruma's) is... "Ooh, look at the Powerwall and it's a sunny day, I'll put some washing on, set the oven to clean itself, cook some soup, and get the car topped up!" :cool:

Looking forward to when we can go back to solar topping up the PW and car all day and not have to bother with this silly grid nonsense.

yes, it seems so. However, we now kind of have the opposite problem in that we often have too much power. Like many of you, we have a solar array (5.2kW) so if it's a sunny day (as today), we can benefit from that. Even though today's forecast is sunny all day, the PW still charged to 100% last night.

I don't think it helps that our mentality (i.e. Mrs Kuruma's) is... "Ooh, look at the Powerwall and it's a sunny day, I'll put some washing on, set the oven to clean itself, cook some soup, and get the car topped up!" :cool:

Looking forward to when we can go back to solar topping up the PW and car all day and not have to bother with this silly grid nonsense.

Yes indeed, in Summer our Powerwalls are usually full by 10:30am... so I'll put the car charger on and take 10kW out for the car.

Wack the Air Conditioning on and let Solar run the house for the rest of the day and night.

Wish it was always like that 😁

Kira a said; yes, it seems so. However, we now kind of have the opposite problem in that we often have too much power. Like many of you, we have a solar array (5.2kW) so if it's a sunny day (as today), we can benefit from that.

I’ve been informed by my potential PV supplier (possibly not completely true) that the SolarEdge system can be set up to be fully automatic in terms of where the excess solar goes & when the off peak grid is used to top up the battery bank. I don’t see how it can unless it has access to a weather forecast..

My first single Powerwall 2 & Gateway 2 cost:-

£ 8,381 including all hardware, fittings, installation, DNO approval & final commissioning. That was at VAT 20%

I swung it through my Company so got £1,396 vat back.
Hey PITA,
I think a Powerwall is a valid company expense especially if you usually work from home and have a lot of company servers etc. that need to keep constantly running. (My wife and I work in IT - our own company).
I spoke to my accountant about it and she said that this should not be put through the company as it is not company related and could be queried by HMRC. I still disagree.
How did you rationalise it to run it through the company?

Hey PITA,
I think a Powerwall is a valid company expense especially if you usually work from home and have a lot of company servers etc. that need to keep constantly running. (My wife and I work in IT - our own company).
I spoke to my accountant about it and she said that this should not be put through the company as it is not company related and could be queried by HMRC. I still disagree.
How did you rationalise it to run it through the company?
I'm not a fully chartered accountant but afaik the rule to expense equipment through my company is for it to be used "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" for that purpose. Installing PW in your home seems really complicated to justify from this standpoint. Or you would have to work out a proper allocation method to expense a part of it (time spent working in your home office / sq.ft used / or energy consumption maybe)... not sure it's worth the risk of getting HMRC involved...