Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Time-Based with 2 peak periods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my utility has two peak periods in the winter months. From 6am until 10am, and from 6pm until 10pm. The solar production is between 8am and 5pm. I tried to set the Powerwall to minimize my consumption during those periods, but it doesn't seem to be working.

First, I set the peak period to be from 6am to 10pm. However, that covers all of the daylight hours. And it appears that the powerwall will not charge during the peak period, no matter how much energy has already been sent to the grid.

Second, I tried to set the peak period to just between 6pm and 10pm. So that works for the powerwall to reduce the consumption during that period. The problem is that Powerwall will then try to charge itself in the morning, starting at 8am, which will soak up all of the solar production between 8am and 10am.

Is there a way to make the Powerwall to discharge only between 6pm and 10pm, and to make it charge only after 10am?

Unfortunately you can't set two peaks with the current time-based control. Depending on how technical you are, you may be able to set up some kind of automation to get close to what you want using third-party tools. If you can write code, you could try to use the TOU API to set two peaks to see if the Powerwall follows such a schedule (the app won't understand it, though): TOU api

We have two peak periods during winter, 5a-9a and 5p-9p. As a workaround, I set up my peak hours from 5p-9p and a partial peak period (everything not peak or off peak) that starts at 5a. We don’t need as much power from 5a-9a, those hours get a little solar, and Powerwall avoids grid usage during partial peak when it can. Stretching the partial peak through the main solar hours doesn’t really hurt since the battery is typically charging anyway. The Powerwall fills up mid-day and is ready for the 5p-9p peak. Not perfect but it works.

We have two peak periods during winter, 5a-9a and 5p-9p. As a workaround, I set up my peak hours from 5p-9p and a partial peak period (everything not peak or off peak) that starts at 5a. We don’t need as much power from 5a-9a, those hours get a little solar, and Powerwall avoids grid usage during partial peak when it can. Stretching the partial peak through the main solar hours doesn’t really hurt since the battery is typically charging anyway. The Powerwall fills up mid-day and is ready for the 5p-9p peak. Not perfect but it works.

Yeah, I have been playing around with different strategies. I did it a little differently. I set the peak hours from 6pm to 10pm, and the shoulder (partial peak) from 10pm until 10am of the next day. Then the off-peak hours are from 10am until 6 pm. And the reserve % has to be high, I set it to 65%. That way, Powerwall supplies power during 6pm to 10pm, then it may supply some power at night if it has any reserve left, then between 6am and 10am, it doesn't do anything, and solar production goes to the grid. Powerwall starts charging after 10am.

When I set the partial-peak period from 6am until 6pm, the problem was that the Powerwall would start charging as soon as the sun comes out, so all of the house demand was coming from the grid. if the off-peak starts at 10am, and the battery percentage is high, it seems to know that it should wait for the off-peak to charge.

I’m bit confused because I have 2 peak periods 5-9am and 5-9pm and I have my peak period set from 5am-9am with no issues. The solar panels (8kw) charges my powerwalls (2) and runs the house with no issues. I also notice the powerwalls managing the house power after 2am and running from the battery not the grid.

I guess i’m confused on why I don’t seem to have an issue. Powerwalls is set to cost savings 10% reserve. I would love to hear why i’m the lucky one here.

Thanks.

No shoulder period set up. Just peak periods from 5am to 9pm

Attachments

• 77CF6E14-F9B3-4BEC-B472-50B8E7899855.png
    77CF6E14-F9B3-4BEC-B472-50B8E7899855.png
    157.5 KB · Views: 287
My response was in regards to the original post by Dan saying he couldn’t cover 2 peak periods effectively. I was just curious what was different between him and I. Mine works and he seems to have an issue covering 1 large demand period.

The issue is that with two peaks, you would really prefer to charge the Powerwalls between the peaks rather than during the peaks. Since you've set all your daylight hours to peak, time-based control doesn't really help since the Powerwalls can't prioritize charging during an off-peak period.

Do you have net-energy metering? If so, you might be better off doing the peak and part-peak configuration so you can export more energy during peak. If not, you might want to use self-consumption mode instead.

My response was in regards to the original post by Dan saying he couldn’t cover 2 peak periods effectively. I was just curious what was different between him and I. Mine works and he seems to have an issue covering 1 large demand period.

The other reason this works for you is because you have a relatively large solar system that with relatively low Arizona winter time power loads, your solar can easily power your home while at the same time charging the PW to still have enough juice for the true evening peak even though you've effectively setup a 16hour peak window that includes 8 hours of actual TOU off-peak hours. I'm in Arizona too, on the same TOU plan, but I only sized a 4kW PV system and this works fine for me also, but only for now in the winter, and only if I don't want to charge my EV between the morning and evening peaks. If I do want to charge between peaks from 9am-5pm (at the cheap off-peak rate), or do some laundry/drying during the middle of the day off-peak hours, then I won't have enough Solar to power the home all day and recharge the PWs, so I really need to not be forced to have my peak window set like you do all the way from 9am to 5pm (all though I have a work around I mention below).

This is because the car will charge at 4kW for for up to 3-4 hours during the day on most days, the clothes dryer can use up to 6kWs for chunks of time, and if I've set all the day-light hours to be a "peak" in the app as you have done, the system will direct all solar, and some PW juice to charging the car and running the house, and then the PW won't be sufficiently "recharged" to handle the house load during peak from 5-9pm in the evening after solar has stopped generating - but only because of the configuration limitations of the app. If I could set two peaks, and then have it be configured for true off-peak between the two, then I'd be fine.

I'm planning on adding more solar at some point, but even then I don't want my powerwall(s) running house loads during the very cheap non-peak hours, as that would just be potential un-needed PW charge/dis-charge cycles during the cheap rate off-peak hours, which really doesn't make sense for me financially - i.e. not a good use of my PW investment as ultimately the PWs are consumables that over time lose capacity based on the number of overall charge cycles they experience. If the house has enough solar, like you do, in that it truly it can power all home loads, while recharging the PWs, without using the PW to cover home loads during non-peak hours (even though the app is configured with one giant peak period as you've done) - then one giant period that includes off-peak hours is okay.

Having said all that, and even with having a much small PV system, I'm actually configured this way too with one large 16 hour peak window Mon-Fri, but only because I can use Darwins Smarthings based Powerwall Manager app on an automated scheduled to talk to Tesla servers to bump the reserve % up to a high level (usually 90%) to force all solar to go to recharge the PW right after the morning peak (9:01am), and then right before the evening peak (4:40pm, to allow some 20 minutes of slack for potential delays for the change taking effect before 5pm) I lower the reserve down below what I need (usually 10%) until the next day - all of this only so I can work around the Powerwall app configuration limitations and not have to pay to oversize my solar just because of limitations in the app configurations options.

Last edited:
I’m bit confused because I have 2 peak periods 5-9am and 5-9pm and I have my peak period set from 5am-9am with no issues. The solar panels (8kw) charges my powerwalls (2) and runs the house with no issues. I also notice the powerwalls managing the house power after 2am and running from the battery not the grid.

I guess i’m confused on why I don’t seem to have an issue. Powerwalls is set to cost savings 10% reserve. I would love to hear why i’m the lucky one here.

Thanks.
I think you have it set on Balanced, so it supplies power all the time.

So my utility has two peak periods in the winter months. From 6am until 10am, and from 6pm until 10pm. The solar production is between 8am and 5pm. I tried to set the Powerwall to minimize my consumption during those periods, but it doesn't seem to be working.

First, I set the peak period to be from 6am to 10pm. However, that covers all of the daylight hours. And it appears that the powerwall will not charge during the peak period, no matter how much energy has already been sent to the grid.

Second, I tried to set the peak period to just between 6pm and 10pm. So that works for the powerwall to reduce the consumption during that period. The problem is that Powerwall will then try to charge itself in the morning, starting at 8am, which will soak up all of the solar production between 8am and 10am.

Is there a way to make the Powerwall to discharge only between 6pm and 10pm, and to make it charge only after 10am?
I also have a Twin Peak situation (7:00AM-9:00AM, 6:00PM-9:00PM). I am currently experimenting with this by customizing the single peak setting in Cost Savings Mode. Once the 7:00AM-9:00AM peak has passed, I am going to shift the peak setting to the evening hours. I currently have a shoulder set from 7:00AM -9:00PM, so we'll see how that affects things.
I should note that I do have a 13.3KW Solar System with my 3 Powerwalls going active on Thanksgiving Day and have experienced 7 cloudy days in a row. At this time, I can barely store enough energy to get through the 5 peak hours, (thanks to the weekend with no peak times).
Also, to store energy from solar, I have been setting my battery reserve to 100% during non peak times. This way all solar during off peak is charging the battery.
It would be nice if Tesla released a twin peak setting in the app. That would simplify things for me a bit.

Attachments

• Powerwall Setting 1.png
    Powerwall Setting 1.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 118
I just ordered my smart hub and will be testing out your program Darwin. I’m a bit excited because I have had to turn on the heat in the house and I'm scrapping by to get to 8am when the solar kicks on due to the powerwall powering the house during the off peak hours :-(

If it wouldn’t run all night than I would have plenty of power!

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Darwin
I originally had a demand controller on my house prior getting batteries. Once I got my batteries Tesla removed it and it has been sitting on my desk since I didn’t think it would work with the batteries.

Out of the blue I emailed the company to see if it work with the batteries. Meaning turn on if the batteries are depleted. It appears they firmware and software update to allow just that. Now I need to decide if I try Darwin’s approach which seems like a no brainer or use the demand controller as well.....
6164E17C-7AAB-4FDB-B93C-595374FA6AE5.jpeg
6164E17C-7AAB-4FDB-B93C-595374FA6AE5.jpeg

Same dual peaks in Az on SRP here.

I tried the full day Peak method just now (good idea actually), but it's not pulling from battery while I'm still on peak. (Actually, my peak is set from 5AM-11PM as I'm trying to force it to use grid power at night during the EV charging time (11PM-5AM). But it's still pulling from the grid??? (I've got 80% charge and reserve is on 40%).

Oh... it just changed to battery (yay). Sorry I made you wonder above, I thought of rewriting it, but it's also good to know that this system takes it's time to switch, I've noticed.

Goal is only use SRP on EV rates, but that's a long stretch to go on batteries so we'll see. We have 8.29 kW + 2PWs, just powered up this week! Gas heater and kitchen helps here (dirty secret). Can't seem to fill the batteries this time of year, hopefully summer will be different. The panels are maxing out at 4.3kW which is half the rated (ideal) power. Can I expect closer to 7 or 8kW with direct sunlight?

Hopefully it goes to grid at 11PM on cue. If needed, I'll starve it with high reserve so it gets hungry for the night snack (hopeful). Until now, I've been switching modes to force charging or not. What an oversight. Ya, Tesla needs to update for 2 peaks.

Sure is educational though! Knowing what things use how much power. I'm feverishly trying to maximize savings and dial this in... fun stuff!

The panels are maxing out at 4.3kW which is half the rated (ideal) power. Can I expect closer to 7 or 8kW with direct sunlight?
We have 8.2kW DC like you in the Phoenix area and today got 6.7kW peak around noon. If you didn’t have clouds around that time I’d expect you to get similar. What facing are your panels? Ours are all south facing and the roof angle is probably close to ideal. I’ve 7kW or more this fall, although our inverter should clip at 7.6kW. What was your predicted annual generation in kWh?