Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall to replace high rise emergency generator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a condo building which requires backup power in an emergency, mostly to drive the fire suppression systems (sprinklers) and an elevator for emergency workers. The current system uses a diesel generator that was built in 1943. And when it runs, it generates enough pollution to kill most things in the area around it and is probably not helping the health of the tenants. While power outages only happen about once a year where I live, the generator has to be tested for an hour each month.
So I am looking for anyone who has experience replacing building emergency generators with powerwalls.
My calculations show that eight powerwalls would provide the enough power for the required two hours, so they are much cheaper than the alternatives of gas turbine or new diesel generators.
Any advice?

I would ask your power company if they would allow batteries to be charged from the grid as step 1.
Then, how to space 8 batteries before price consideration. The accommodation of that many batteries may require extra consideration
that could be costly.
Other will have better answers. :)

I live in a condo building which requires backup power in an emergency, mostly to drive the fire suppression systems (sprinklers) and an elevator for emergency workers. The current system uses a diesel generator that was built in 1943. And when it runs, it generates enough pollution to kill most things in the area around it and is probably not helping the health of the tenants. While power outages only happen about once a year where I live, the generator has to be tested for an hour each month.
So I am looking for anyone who has experience replacing building emergency generators with powerwalls.
My calculations show that eight powerwalls would provide the enough power for the required two hours, so they are much cheaper than the alternatives of gas turbine or new diesel generators.
Any advice?

I have no idea on your question, but do find it interesting that you say that 8 powerwalls is cheaper than a diesel generator. I had no idea they were that much.

You should also look into a Tesla Powerpack.

I'm guessing that generator is allowed by legacy rules. A modern CARB certified generator wouldn't have the emissions you described.
And yet, the backup generator at the medical facility adjacent to my child's elementary school does not have to meet all emissions regs because it is "only for backup". They had to send a notice to all the elementary school families because of the allowed emissions.

Yes, it would be cheaper, if it were an apples to apples comparison. Unfortunately, I suspect the generator is already paid for... If it is truly a 1943 model, I am very impressed, especially with all of the hours it must have clocked up during the year 2000 rolling blackouts in San Diego. Some of those early diesels were two cycle, and decidedly smokey under load. e.g. Detroit Diesel Series 71 - Wikipedia on the other hand they are/were very very reliable engines.

What I don't know is the length of time that power is required to be available.

San Diego is a clean air district, but many of the regulations don't apply to existing engines, and smaller generators. (Less than 50HP)
Emergency Engines
http://www.arb.ca.gov/diesel/documents/FinalReg2011.pdf

The only possible challenge that I see is that power factor calculations get to be a potential issue with that many powerwalls. They require pretty stringent power factor quality in large numbers.

All the best,

BG

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj
Just a couple of things to consider for your calculations:

1) PWs can only supply 5kW continuous and 7kW surge for 10s. Do your fire pumps and elevators draw less than that combined when running together? Be sure to include the surge amps required for pump and elevator motor start up which can be substantial.
2) What is the voltage requirements of your pumps and elevator? Commercial elevators are usually 240v but pumps can be 480v.

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj