Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall update to 1.49 trashed my network connection [Tesla network was down]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

reddy

Jan 26, 2013
Amarillo, TX
I discovered I couldn't access my Powerwalls on the Tesla app yesterday, ironically while watching the Battery Day livestream.

I discovered that the Powerwalls were no longer connected to my WiFi network, which was odd.

Tesla support for Powerwalls is far superior to the car support. I instantly was able to talk to a tech support rep, who had me reset the gateway and also reset the router.

After doing that, I was able to see the Powerwalls on my local network again and see the power flow dynamic display.

However the app still doesn't work. Then, I recognized the app said I was on 1.48.1 , but the dynamic display says 1.49.

It appears that the network being disconnected happened at the same time as the update from 1.48.1 to 1.49.

I'm still working with Tesla to get this resolved. The connectivity should fail over to the cellular SIM card, but that's not happening. Perhaps there is a bad bug in 1.49 , or perhaps I'm just unlucky.

Anyone else having trouble with 1.49 ?

My powerwalls updated to 1.49.0 a week or so ago and I haven’t had any connectivity problems, except for this morning. It seems like there is an issue on Tesla’s servers and a lot of people are unable to get their Tesla app to connect right now.

• Informative
Reactions: bemyax
I discovered I couldn't access my Powerwalls on the Tesla app yesterday, ironically while watching the Battery Day livestream.

I discovered that the Powerwalls were no longer connected to my WiFi network, which was odd.

Tesla support for Powerwalls is far superior to the car support. I instantly was able to talk to a tech support rep, who had me reset the gateway and also reset the router.

After doing that, I was able to see the Powerwalls on my local network again and see the power flow dynamic display.

However the app still doesn't work. Then, I recognized the app said I was on 1.48.1 , but the dynamic display says 1.49.

It appears that the network being disconnected happened at the same time as the update from 1.48.1 to 1.49.

I'm still working with Tesla to get this resolved. The connectivity should fail over to the cellular SIM card, but that's not happening. Perhaps there is a bad bug in 1.49 , or perhaps I'm just unlucky.

During part of the software update cycle, the gateway does indeed drop its network connection and/or give some strange readings. It also stops charging (not sure what it would do if the gateway tried to apply an update during a power outage!). It should recover on its own. My gateway also did the 1.48.1 to 1.49 update yesterday...it stabilized after a few minutes (OK maybe more like 15-20 minutes, now that I'm going back to look at the graphs). I've watched this update process a few times, and 1.49 didn't seem significantly different to me.

Bruce.

Reactions: reddy
It also stops charging (not sure what it would do if the gateway tried to apply an update during a power outage!).

I don’t think it will attempt to apply an update during an outage. When my powerwalls were installed they came with 1.47 and 1.48 was released shortly after that. But my system didn’t update to 1.48 for quite a while, and I suspect that’s because I was was offgrid and in a “power outage” for most of that time.

I don’t know what would happen if the power failed while the software update was happening though.

I can’t connect as well to my Powerwalls or Car for that matter. Been like this for this whole morning since it auto updated to 1.49

Same thing here, app stops working with an error and now shows nothing but a white screen with an error number on both Android and iOS. Spoke to Tesla support who stated that all their support tools are currently down so they said email them instead. In the meantime it's costing me money as we're in peak usage. Useless customer service...

I think the app is down for cars and powerwalls for everyone right now.

FWIW, my problem was happening well before the app went down for everybody.

I was speaking to tech support , and I thought the tech had me on hold. After 25 minutes of silence (I was still multitasking so not in a rush) , I realized that their phone system was likely dead. I tried calling back and all I got was busy signals.

Looks like some type of major technology snafu at Tesla today, not just their app.

I was speaking to tech support , and I thought the tech had me on hold. After 25 minutes of silence (I was still multitasking so not in a rush) , I realized that their phone system was likely dead. I tried calling back and all I got was busy signals.

Looks like some type of major technology snafu at Tesla today, not just their app.

You wold think they would have battery backup on the lines. :)

Definitely clear there are some big issues now, so they probably won't be able to resolve yours until after they get everything else back up and running. And who knows, maybe you were just the lucky canary in the coal mine who got hit with this issue early.

Just had this email reply:

"Hello,

Thank you for your email.

We are currently experiencing server issue which also affect the mobile app. A team is already working relentlessly to fix this issue.

You should be able to see new data in your app again.

We apologise for the inconvenience. Let me know if you have any further questions."

Although my app is still not working...

Just called Tesla support in the UK.
Chap on the phone said it's a known global issue with their servers and it's being worked on.

Nothing else to do other than sit back and wait, I suppose....

...except that I'm on the Octopus Agile wholesale tariff and just entered the super expensive evening peak from 4-7pm with a fully charged Powerwall2 that I cannot use...! Not happy.

My app now no longer shows any Powerwall info, just comes up with the following error on a white screen:

"An error occurred while processing your request"
Reference #97.755832b8.1600874798.32ee873

I'm now getting a different error in the app, so something is changing:

"Internal Server Error - Read"
"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request"
Reference #3.755832b8.1600875898.3374647"

...except that I'm on the Octopus Agile wholesale tariff and just entered the super expensive evening peak from 4-7pm with a fully charged Powerwall2 that I cannot use...! Not happy.
Is the power wall not working?
My understanding from other posts was that it was just the app that was struggling, the Powerwalls still work as normal?

PS: Just checked my meter and still no grid usage so the house is definitely currently being fed by the Powerwalls