TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Powerwall Using up Your Internet Bandwidth

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Sylvia Else, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Sylvia Else

Sylvia Else Member

I'm aghast at how much data is sent from the Powerwall gateway to a server on the internet. Granted it needs to provide the data that the ap needs, but it's running at about 60kB per minute. That's way more than could conceivably be required for the ap, and suggests Tesla are engaged in second-by-second tracking of the internal functioning of the powerwall.

2. zanary

zanary Member

I know that the Powerwall/Solar Gateway similar their vehicles are consistently talking to their NOC (and very often). This is evident when you use their Tesla app or if you have a Model S, X, or 3, and you use the Powertool Apps from iTunes (which gets telemetry every few ms.

‎PowerTools For Tesla on the App Store

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Did you mean 60 kilobytes/min? That’s what you said. :D

Does seem chatty...

4. Sylvia Else

Sylvia Else Member

Yes, 60 kilobytes per minute, or 1 kilobyte per second.

About 2.5 gigabytes per month.

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Definitely a lot... and then they complain we can't do the same monitoring....

6. cwied

cwied Member

The output of /api/meters/aggregates is about 2500 bytes. I would expect the data they're retrieving to be at least what's in this API call, implying they're retrieving about once every three seconds.

The release notes for 1.20.0 say "Further reduction in network data storage," so I think they're erring on the side of sending too much data while the product is new. I would imagine they'll do more optimization as they get more comfortable with the way it functions in the field.